How to get protein in with a lo-cal daily goal. suggetions?

Options
2»

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt and cottage cheese. I also drink a glass of milk a couple times a day. Adds 8 grams of protein to my meals. I drink a protein shake... usually just on the days that I lift, but I also drink it on other days if I'm not getting enough protein. Cheese in another one. Wow I'm just naming all dairy products.... I eat beans a lot but those aren't really that high in protein. I bought tortillas that are called "ole extreme wellness" or some **** like that and they have 7g of protein in them. Every morning almost (unless I'm short on time) I have 2 scrambled eggs with 1/4 cup of cheese, 2 slices of bacon, and a glass of milk and it's usually around 25-30 grams of protein. Nice way to start off my day. I aim for 112 grams of protein a day. You could hard boil some eggs to keep in the refrigerator to have for snacks or to put on salads or something.
  • LoraleiDean
    LoraleiDean Posts: 100
    Options
    Have you checked out beans and legumes? A half cup of Kidney beans is 8 grams of protein, 7 grams of fibre and only 100 calories. Refried beans are similar.They work to fill you up so you're not battling cravings, too!
  • SuperVegan8
    SuperVegan8 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and i have no problems eating a low cal - high protein diet. Feel free to add me if you like (especially for anyone interested in how plant based foods can meet and exceed your nutritional requirements).
  • popat89
    popat89 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    HI! I'm vegetarian and my goal is 1450 with 90+ grams of protein.

DO you eat egg whites? I eat egg whites but I'm also trying to get 30+ grams of protein out of 150 more calories so even if you don't this should work for you.

I don;t like to use whey so I use plant protein when needed. Plant based protein powders are good when you're in a pinch but I would rather eat "real food." Vega brand is expensive so I use the Jarrow Formula's Plant Protein which is also a complete plant protein powder. Mix that with anything you please - vanilla/chocolate almond milk, carrot juice, berries - what ever you feel like for a quick 21grams of protein.

Like I said though - I'd rather eat real food. I turn to greek yogurt (fat free) for the best source of protein. 140 calories, 24 g protein, plus calcium and it tastes WAY better than plant protein powder.

Sprouted whole wheat bread with beans and rice is also a good source of protein. Trader joe's Indian fare - madras lentils are delicious and an easy way to get legume protein.

Things to have everyday:
    Greek yogurt - 1 or 2 servings (24-48 grams protein)
    FF Milk - 1-3 servings (8-24 grams protein)
    Sprouted WW Bread 1-2 slices (5-10 grams protein)
    Almonds 1 serving= 22 almonds (7 grams protein)
    Total is you have just one serving of each of these things:
    44 grams of protein, 480 calories.

Still leave you plenty of cals for other foods.
  • popat89
    Options
    Oh! And I forgot to mention fat free feta cheese!!!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I am like Allisongrl, I am not technically veggie but i limit my consumption of meat and animal products whenever possible.and choose vegetarian the majority of the time

Why limit them? If you choose good, lean sources what is the issue?
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out beans and legumes? A half cup of Kidney beans is 8 grams of protein, 7 grams of fibre and only 100 calories. Refried beans are similar.They work to fill you up so you're not battling cravings, too!

^^^ Beans are the bomb!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    HI! I'm vegetarian and my goal is 1450 with 90+ grams of protein.

DO you eat egg whites? I eat egg whites but I'm also trying to get 30+ grams of protein out of 150 more calories so even if you don't this should work for you.

I don;t like to use whey so I use plant protein when needed. Plant based protein powders are good when you're in a pinch but I would rather eat "real food." Vega brand is expensive so I use the Jarrow Formula's Plant Protein which is also a complete plant protein powder. Mix that with anything you please - vanilla/chocolate almond milk, carrot juice, berries - what ever you feel like for a quick 21grams of protein.

Like I said though - I'd rather eat real food. I turn to greek yogurt (fat free) for the best source of protein. 140 calories, 24 g protein, plus calcium and it tastes WAY better than plant protein powder.

Sprouted whole wheat bread with beans and rice is also a good source of protein. Trader joe's Indian fare - madras lentils are delicious and an easy way to get legume protein.

Things to have everyday:

What sort of greek yoghurt is that - I haven't seen one with that many grams of protein? What is your serving size?
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Try adding chia seeds to your meals - they're packed with great nutrition and have no taste on their own. 1/2 tablespoon of chia seeds has 2 grams of protein, 3 grams of fiber, 2 grams of healthy plant-based fats, and only 30 well-spent calories. Since they're tasteless, you can put them in nearly everything!

I will warn you that they behave very strangely in liquid though; they form a sort of gel around the shell that gives them a texture that reminds me of tiny little bubble tea bubbles. This makes them ideal for thickening things like smoothies IMO, but it can take you by surprise the first couple of times.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Kefir (it's like liquid yogurt) is very high in protein. If you get the plain, it's also lo-carb. If you want to sweeten it use stevia extract powder, maybe some vanilla.

Whey protein powder. Lots to choose from out there! Currently I have Designer Whey, vanilla. It was convenient, and I picked it up 'cause like you I just had to get some more protein. It's nice! I use some stevia and just cold water. You might want to consider 2 servings per day, at least!

Personally I really don't like soy protein. There's some controversy, but I hold the postition that, unless it is cultured soy (soy sauce, natto, etc) it is not good to eat it.

Other things mentioned are beans, but they have plenty of carbs, so go easy.

Nuts are great, but high in calories....currently I stay away, 'cause I am plenty hungry and nuts just don't do it for me.
  • snrose
    snrose Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    2 words: Egg whites. Do that with some reduced/non-fat cheese in an omlete for a meal. I do 1.25 cups of egg whites (in the carton right in the dairy case) and Kraft Fat Free Cheese in an omlete with some veggies 2-3x a week. Low call and you pick up 40-50g of protein in one shot.

thanks for this!!
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Here's what I use:

Greek Yogurt
    Eggs
    Yves Vegetarian Jumbo Dogs (90 cal, 1g fat, 15g protein each!)
    String cheese
    Protein shakes as necessary

...and yes I know some of these things are...gasp....processed! I don't care. Processing itself doesn't mean anything as almost all food is processed to some degree. I resist the temptation to make blanket statements about food. I judge them as individual items just as we should with people.
  • jesilva80
    jesilva80 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I tru for lean beef, chicken and fish. Cottage cheese,-fat free has been a good source for me too
  • popat89
    Options

Things to have everyday:

What sort of greek yoghurt is that - I haven't seen one with that many grams of protein? What is your serving size?

Trader Joe's Plain Non-Fat Greek Yogurt and Voskos Fat Free Greek Yogurt. I eat 8oz servings :)
  • popat89
    Options
    Here's what I use:

Greek Yogurt
    Eggs
    Yves Vegetarian Jumbo Dogs (90 cal, 1g fat, 15g protein each!)
    String cheese
    Protein shakes as necessary

...and yes I know some of these things are...gasp....processed! I don't care. Processing itself doesn't mean anything as almost all food is processed to some degree. I resist the temptation to make blanket statements about food. I judge them as individual items just as we should with people.

I couldn't agree with you more!