Polar Ft4 Calorie Burn

Options
Does everyone trust their calorie burns according to the Polar Ft4?

I usually subtract about 150-200 from the calories it says I burn then eat my exercise calories back and I was curious if anyone else did the same or if y'all trust it and eat them all?

I am trying to lose the last 10 pounds and do not want to under/overeat!

Please just let me know what you do and if you are successful-especially those trying to lose the last pounds!
thanks so much :)

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I have an ft7. I usually eat all my exercise calories and have been successful.
  • hayleesmith
    Options
    thanks so much!

anyone else?!
  • PulchritudinousLady
    PulchritudinousLady Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I trust mine pretty well.
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options
    I have the FT4 as well and trust it.

I do eat most of my exercise calories back, I'm currently in maintence and have held steady for 4 months.
  • brookebelcher
    brookebelcher Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump-curious as well!
  • hayleesmith
    Options
    bump one more time
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I trust mine, the only time it gets a little crazy is when the battery is close to death but with that being said I don't use the method of eating 1200 and then exercise calories. I eat my BMR x my TDEE minus 15% every single day, even rest days. I got tired of stuffing food in my mouth on workout days (especially because I work out in the evening) and starving on non-workout days.
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I look at the MFP estimates, the estimates on the machines in the gym, my Polar FT4 and my FitBit. Usually the FT4 comes out with the lowest estimate of calorie burn and i think it is probably pretty accurate. Remember you have programmed in your details and it is measuring the actual activity of your heart - not an estimate of how many steps or how hard it is for the average person to pedal that cycle.

Having said that, i don't always eat all of my exercise calories back unless i'm really hungry, but i make sure i net a minimum of 1200 (my daily goal is 1550). So far, it is working, but i am still at the easier, lots-to-lose stage.
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I do the same as you - subtract about 150-200 calories per hour of using it, and usually eat the difference. I 'guess-timate' that to be what I would normally be burning per hour when awake and is already figured into my daily calorie goal. I have about another 30-35 pounds to go, and so far that's been working well for me.

I do eat quite a bit more than most, 1850 calories plus exercise calories. I plateau easily on lower calories, but eating more means a longer process. It's ok, I'm still losing. And doing it this way should allow me to eat all my TDEE calories at goal weight and not have to worry about regain.