Fast food reality check!

Options

Replies

• BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    KFC's grilled chicken isn't technically grilled. It is frozen with the grill marks on them, and then deep fried just like the rest of their chicken, at a lower temperature and no breading. So it is still "fried" chicken. lol

:noway: I always thought the grilled chicken was safe. I guess that explains the ridiculously high calories for that small breast.

Sodium doesn't effect calories.

I was talking about them being deep fried, and not grilled, making the calories higher.

I totally apologize. What I thought I was responding to was apparently 100% made up in my head. I have no freaking clue where I read sodium=calories in your post. My bad! (Seriously, wth....)
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I think you guys worry way too much about sodium
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

yup. sodium isn't the devil. I promise. and I eat KFC now and then. you can eat a whole plate of drumsticks for like 350 calories.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    KFC's grilled chicken isn't technically grilled. It is frozen with the grill marks on them, and then deep fried just like the rest of their chicken, at a lower temperature and no breading. So it is still "fried" chicken. lol

:noway: I always thought the grilled chicken was safe. I guess that explains the ridiculously high calories for that small breast.

Sodium most definitely effect calories!
  • BuckeyeLife
    Options
    When 1 food item is giving you 4-6x the sodium your body needs for an entire day, that isn't something to really scoff at. I don't worry that much, but people SHOULD be aware of sodium. It does have some effect on your cardio health. I personally would like to protect my heart as much as possible. Have you seen the monster hearts in overweight people? Admittedly that isn't just sodium issues, but it sure doesn't help. I certainly don't get bothered by sodium and eat out, but I'd rather limit it as much as possible when unnecessary.
  • BuckeyeLife
    Options

How so?
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

yup. sodium isn't the devil. I promise. and I eat KFC now and then. you can eat a whole plate of drumsticks for like 350 calories.

WOW!!! If you don't get the sodium problem, maybe you should do some research on the topic. Just like wt. loss and maintenance are NOT just about calories in and calories out!
  • mom2my3angels123
    Options
    no it doesn't. but it affects your body's ability to filter water.. causing unnecessary water weight gain. it turns your body into a giant sponge! so very bad for your heart.
  • SSGirlLV
    SSGirlLV Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! Thanks for sharing. Learned a lot about fast food. I am really trying to avoid it!!
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

please-demotivational-poster-1280707706.jpg
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

WOW!!! If you don't get the sodium problem, maybe you should do some research on the topic. Just like wt. loss and maintenance are NOT just about calories in and calories out!

Just stop.
  • tsh0ck
    Options

um ... no.
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options

So true, worst case you retain a little water for a day.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    When 1 food item is giving you 4-6x the sodium your body needs for an entire day, that isn't something to really scoff at. I don't worry that much, but people SHOULD be aware of sodium. It does have some effect on your cardio health. I personally would like to protect my heart as much as possible. Have you seen the monster hearts in overweight people? Admittedly that isn't just sodium issues, but it sure doesn't help. I certainly don't get bothered by sodium and eat out, but I'd rather limit it as much as possible when unnecessary.

4-6x? from one item? we must be looking at different items. and unless you have a medical condition that means you need to keep away from sodium, you'll be fine. this assumes you are eating within your caloric goals, I suppose, which is already lowering your sodium intake from pre-MFP days.

first ... no sodium problem. maybe you should research, rather than just relying on sky-is-falling fallacies. to start, maybe look up the relationship between sodium and potassium and their respective levels in your body. or just look into recent studies showing sodium isn't the boogey man anyway.

or, if you are that concerned about excess sodium, flush it out. 90-95 percent of excess sodium in the human body is flushed out through urination. you know how you do that more? drink more water. lots of water = less sodium retained. also, we lose some through sweat. so hit the gym.

and as far as calories in and out? uh ... unless the laws of science have changed, you might wanna research that topic.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Today I discovered There's 600 Calories in a veggie sub from Quizno's and that's without cheese! Get it with cheese and it's over 700 that's more than a Big Mac.

The things you learn!

I don't worry much about sodium but I'd probably be in trouble if i did, I'm pretty sure I eat a lot of high sodium foods.

Knowledge is power. But I don't think those calories are bad AT ALL for fast food, especially KFC with TWO things of chicken! How is 220 calories in a breast of chicken at a fast food place a lot? That's pretty average...I've counted calories for a lot of years and a place like that it's by far the best you'll get.

Evils of sodium= can worse high blood pressure/make you retain water/lead to heart problem. It does NOT however have calories! To the person saying that go take a look at a bottle of salt.

Calories= Fat, Sugar and Protein. Salt= Not fat, not sugar. Not protein.
  • Silver180
    Silver180 Posts: 294
    Options
    Sodium has nothing to do with calories.

However, the balance of sodium vs potassium is important in the cells of your body. When water leaves your cells via osmosis due to an ion imbalance, your cells suffer. They don't work as well. Cells need water, or they become flaccid.

This is only one example of the effect of too much sodium.
  • mariamarchita
    Options

This ^

In my opinion, unless you have been told you need to reduce your sodium intake (or if you have health problems that would make excess sodium contraindicated), I wouldn't worry about eating "too much" sodium now and then. Just my $.02
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the only reason I watch sodium is because my blood pressure is a bit high. If it were normal, I wouldn't really care at all.
  • Tango2U
    Tango2U Posts: 3
    Options
    KFC Grill Chicken is actually real chicken that is grilled. It is not processed or frozen with grill marks on it. I have actually seen the grill that they cook it on. All of the sodium comes from the seasoning that is put on it and what it is marinated in. :smile:
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

You're one of the reasons why I left.... I come back and you're still singing the same bro-tastic song.