0 Calorie everyday alternatives!

Options

Replies

• SuperVegan8
    SuperVegan8 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i just had a look at the facts on the website. they have all kinds of additives in them that our bodies dont process well at all.

AND barely any nutritional content. why bother?
  • SuperVegan8
    SuperVegan8 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i definately see the point youre making and it is indeed valid. whilst calories might be in control you have no idea what youre actually putting in. might as well go drink a can of paint - its probably better for you.
  • orangelillypad
    orangelillypad Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would rather budget my calories for real food.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    What counts for trace calories in the US?

I notice a lot of the products have sweetener, corn starch, xanthan gum etc in them. I know these are not high calorie ingredients, but they do have calories in them.
  • awisegirl84
    awisegirl84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I see both sides of this argument:

1. Food is what we need to eat and water is what we need to drink... True. Food has nutritional value and food will help our body grow -- the right way. We just need to minimize --- empty calories.

2. If we are stuck on eating junk food and not quite willing to make the transition to all good foods, it is usually better to find low calorie alternatives than to continue to mass 3500 calorie surpluses in our bodies daily with at least 90% of it having no nutritional value.

The worst way = eat whatever you want without regard to anything
    The better way - at least minimize the caloric intake so we don't continue to get wider
    The best way ... all nutrition within the caloric needs ...

EXACTLY!!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    OK, I give....Eat peanut butter to you bust! Do not eat Walden Farms "peanut spread" it's poison!
    Sorry for the original post... I ate it for breakfast and now " I'm dead" !

The people responding to your post are trying to help you. If you try and diet with this stuff, mostly likely you'll end up failing in the long run, even if you make some short term gains. I know it sucks that there is no miracle zero calorie food to eat and lose weight. But losing weight is actually pretty easy. Eat real food, count calories, exercise, and be patient.
  • iwork4pepsi
    Options
    OK, I give....Eat peanut butter to you bust! Do not eat Walden Farms "peanut spread" it's poison!
    Sorry for the original post... I ate it for breakfast and now " I'm dead" !

The people responding to your post are trying to help you. If you try and diet with this stuff, mostly likely you'll end up failing in the long run, even if you make some short term gains. I know it sucks that there is no miracle zero calorie food to eat and lose weight. But losing weight is actually pretty easy. Eat real food, count calories, exercise, and be patient.

Thank you all for your comments. This is the first 0 calorie product that I have tried. I started eating healthy 35 days ago. As of day 32 I have lost 26 pounds. Feel free to view my profile and food diary. I admit that by counting calories and eating mostly fresh foods, losing weight has been somewhat effortless. Maybe by looking at the weight loss tickers of most of the negative comments concerning the 0 calorie alternative "peanut spread", you mostly needed to drop 20 or 30 pounds. That's great! Having you tell someone who needs to lose 150+ pounds that something that is 0 calories is poison is absurd! As you have no clue what it's like to be walking in their shoes! A lot of people took my original post out of context, I never said base your diet on Walden Farms products. People were even quoting the list of ingredients that were simply incorrect to make a point, that was not there. Once again, thank you for all of your responses. I will enjoy my Walden Farms products and keep my secrets to myself. :indifferent:
  • toomuchsweetness
    toomuchsweetness Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I admit it, I am a junk food junkie! I know what the results are from this diet, obesity ... Plain and simple, I'm living proof! We all share things in common if you are reading this post, 1. we have extra weight to lose and 2. we have taken the first step to cure this, right? That being said, I have a little help that I wish I would have had a month ago when I first started this healthy eating. Ready? Here it is, when you search for your food on MFP, type in "Walden Farms". They have a huge amount of products with 0 calories! Even "peanut spread", not bad, especially when peanut butter is 190 cal. for 2 tablespoons, right? They have dressings, chocolate , strawberry, maple syrup.., slaw sauce, all kinds of stuff! I found some stuff at Walmart.. Do the search on MFP then go find it in the grocery store, save some calories! Hope this helps!

You've got to respect this guy's enthusiasm, but please people, do not eat this stuff. It is not food.

The alternative to peanut butter is not chemicals, it is less peanut butter.
    agreed, there is no peanut butter substitute!
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Ewww, don't do it, your body needs healthy food, NOT crap, chemicals, additives etc. Think about it... 0 calories is never good for your body.
  • DefConJen
    DefConJen Posts: 20
    Options
    As long as you are making an informed choice, then it is up to each individual to work out what is more important to them.

I've got to say, some days I wish some of these products were available in the UK, they might stop me going off on a 1000+ calorie binge, which is probably worse for me than the odd 'synthetic food stuff'.
  • _HeyMommy_
    _HeyMommy_ Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm making a caramel macchiato using their caramel sauce, right now! Delish!!!!
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Ewww, don't do it, your body needs healthy food, NOT crap, chemicals, additives etc. Think about it... 0 calories is never good for your body.

Seriously, stay away from water and everything else 0 calorie. :wink:
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments. This is the first 0 calorie product that I have tried. I started eating healthy 35 days ago. As of day 32 I have lost 26 pounds. Feel free to view my profile and food diary. I admit that by counting calories and eating mostly fresh foods, losing weight has been somewhat effortless. Maybe by looking at the weight loss tickers of most of the negative comments concerning the 0 calorie alternative "peanut spread", you mostly needed to drop 20 or 30 pounds. That's great! Having you tell someone who needs to lose 150+ pounds that something that is 0 calories is poison is absurd! As you have no clue what it's like to be walking in their shoes! A lot of people took my original post out of context, I never said base your diet on Walden Farms products. People were even quoting the list of ingredients that were simply incorrect to make a point, that was not there. Once again, thank you for all of your responses. I will enjoy my Walden Farms products and keep my secrets to myself. :indifferent:

Haven't tried their other stuff, but their salad dressings aren't bad.
  • rcharlee
    rcharlee Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    OK, don't eat the peanut spread, OMG! Eat a 1/4 Tbs of Jiffy on your sandwich if you want only 48 calories! I don't care! There are over 4,000 chemicals in a cigarette, anyone who was hating on me smoke? I never said base your diet on 0 calorie alternatives or substitute it for "real food". Sorry for trying to help out. (feel free to view my "food diary") You can see I do eat "real food". We are all human and have weaknesses, most of us on here have weight issues and maybe food is one of our weaknesses....You think ? So, I thought the midnight snack that turns into 200 calories (celery and peanut butter) could be rectified by dipping in the "peanut spread" with lets say 1 calorie plus the celery stalk..... But, remember if you don't want to use the 0 calorie "peanut spread" by all means don't! I am not a nutritionist, or a doctor. I'm just a fat guy trying to lose weight! Thanks for all the "love"!

Oh, and here is the link to find the ingredients on the Walden Farms Peanut Spread: http://www.waldenfarms.com/nutrition_facts.html#

It's not a bunch of "chemicals", check it out!

If you really need to fulfill a desire to eat "out of the approved foods" for your diet, then work for it. If I ever wanted an extra snack or something, I went and walked the calories for it, or ran. I earned it by working harder. Win, win. Now, I just eat peanut butter, don't starve myself(actually, almond butter more now) and have no issues w/ my calories.

Oh and... My girlfriend is 5'1" and 115 lbs, she eats more than you. Me thinks you're making eating better harder on yourself.

My oldest son is 5'10" and weighs 163lbs and eats 6,000 calories a day...but, what does that have to do with me??? (girlfriend reference) I'm 43 yrs old and have 3 vertebrae in my back that need fused or disc's replaced. I served my country for 4 years in the Army (Desert Storm Veteran) I know how to exercise (thanks for that instruction), it's a very painful for me to even walk to the bathroom, much less jog for my peanut butter fix! I know how to eat healthy (I'm 5'10" and didn't hit 200lbs until I was 28), I just chose not too.
    as to help someone who maybe could benefit from the alternative, not base their diet on only these substitutes. Sorry for thinking that my original post might help someone. Geesh! :huh:

It's great that you are sharing your info! Those that aren't interesting in using it won't use it, but I bet you have helped others that want to use the information. Keep up the good positive vibes!
  • croberson8711
    Options
    One thing I would suggest for an alternative would be instead of celery and peanut butter, try celery and hummus. Unlike PB, hummus comes in a variety of flavors so you can change it up whenever you're sick of a certain flavor. Of course I'm not saying spread hummus on your toast instead of PB (Though you could) or dip apples in hummus instead of PB (THAT would be gross), it's still something to consider. Here's the nutritional info compared to PB.

Hummus (2 tbsp): Calories- 70 Fat Cal- 50 Sodium- 120 Carb- 4 Fiber- 1 Protein- 2
    Peanut Butter (2 tbsp): Calories 190 Fat Cal- 130 Sodium 140 Carb- 8 Fiber- 2 Protein- 7

(I compared Sabra hummus with Jif Peanut Butter, though I think they'd all be close to this range)

Now, PB does have more protein, but IMO hummus is more flavorful and, once again, because of the variety of flavors, you are less likely to tire of it.

Hummus is also a good alternative for mayo. Take 2-3 tablespoons and mix it up with some tuna, and you have a healthier and far more flavorful sandwich than you did mixing the tuna with some mayo.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one finds it ironic that people are bashing this no calorie peanut butter, yet so many people on this site drink diet soda and even count it as water?
    Did you ever think maybe they're different people? Anyway, I doubt that anyone thinks diet soda is "food".
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Honestly, some of you guys are getting a little crazy on here calling Walden Farms products a bunch of chemicals. Look up the nutrition facts. If you use these products in moderation (as they are intended) I don't really see the big deal. They are mostly water, flavoring, thickening agents, and then the very last ingredient is splenda. If you are against using sucralose as a sweetener, then just don't use the product. And also, most normal people aren't out there using Walden Farms as a food replacement, they are simply using it as a condiment replacement. So, if you want a little peanut butter flavoring on your toast or banana or whatever... I say go for it. Just don't sit down and eat the whole tub and call it dinner! :-D

Exactly! Xanthan gum is a natural thickening agent similar to yeast, and it is gluten free. If you check the ingredients on your protein shakes it is likely in there and gives it the thick, creamy texture. The peanut flavoring and extracts are just like the vanilla extract you bake with and I use different flavored extracts all the time to flavor my protein shakes (ie peppermint in a chocolate shake).

The original poster was simply sharing something he found that is helping him to lose weight and stay on track with his healthy eating in hopes it might help others who like to snack. He never said you should base your whole diet off of these foods and it seems really rude for everyone to bash his post, especially without really knowing what the ingredients actually are.
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one finds it ironic that people are bashing this no calorie peanut butter, yet so many people on this site drink diet soda and even count it as water?
    Did you ever think maybe they're different people? Anyway, I doubt that anyone thinks diet soda is "food".

Very true! I just feel bad for this guy getting attacked when lots of people on this site consume diet soda, flavored water with more artificial ingredients than this PB, and no calorie salad spritzers.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Very true! I just feel bad for this guy getting attacked when lots of people on this site consume diet soda, flavored water with more artificial ingredients than this PB, and no calorie salad spritzers.
    Who attacked him? People said the product he mentioned isn't good for you. You need to let go of the idea that disagreeing with someone is somehow attacking them.
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    What exactly is in 0 calorie peanut spread?

INGREDIENTS in the Walden Farms Peanut Spread:

Triple Filtered Purified Water, Cellulose Gum, Salt, Corn Starch, Xanthan Gum, Natural Fresh Roast Peanut Flavoring, Natural Peanut Extract, Sodium Benzoate (to preserve freshness), Caramel Color, Lactic Acid, Propolyene Glycolalginate, Sucralose. *Contains trace calories.

INGREDIENTS in my favorite, Peter Pan Peanut Butter:

Peanut(s) Roasted, Sugar, Vegetable(s) Oil Partially Hydrogenated ( (Cottonseed Oil, Rapeseed Oil) Peanut(s), Contains Salt

The third, out of twelve, ingredients is salt. If it's that high on the list I wonder how much is actually in the product. I would prefer my high calorie peanut butter and eat it in moderation.

But thank you for taking the time to post this thread and give a new idea to people who would like to try it.