Help on losing belly fat

Options
I need help on how to lose stomach fat. I'm small framed and weigh 112, I am comfortable with my body. The only place I want/need to lose weight is my stomach, that's where it seems to stick around. The problem is I don't want/need to lose weight anywhere else because I would look to skinny. Any advise on how to do this?

Replies

• Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you can't pick and choose where you want fat to come off. You can just work out and hope for the best. :grumble:
  • BossyGirl
    BossyGirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    ab workouts will help firm it up.
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    Amanda89, you and I are in the same boat. At 110lbs I need to lost my jelly belly but have skinny arms, average size legs and a small frame. I will be watching this thread for suggestions as well. :drinker:
  • blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, but unlike you I do want to lose some weight.

I tend to lose weight from my thighs and face first, thighs great :happy: but from the face can make me look ill :sad: .
    My hubby told me to stand on my head a couple times a day and hope it dropped to my face. :yawn: Real joker!
    I too, would love any ideas on the subject.
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    Cardio! Cardio burns fat, however toning/stregnth training will increase your metabolism so your body will burn more fat on its own, a good combo of both is your best bet
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, but unlike you I do want to lose some weight.

I tend to lose weight from my thighs and face first, thighs great :happy: but from the face can make me look ill :sad: .
    My hubby told me to stand on my head a couple times a day and hope it dropped to my face. :yawn: Real joker!
    I too, would love any ideas on the subject.
    [/quote

I don't have much advice, other than to do zone weight training workouts, but I thought that was hilarious that your husband said that! LOL sounds like something my husband would say too!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ]
  • danielley08
    Options
    I would suggest targeted weight training...abs/obliques/lower back...
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I would do cardio to burn the stomach fat. If you do strength training it will only tone up the other areas.

While I need to lose mostly in my belly, I don't mind losing elsewhere. I'm doing cardio to do that. I did the 30 day shred and didn't lose any weight, but toned and built muscle. Only problem is I didn't lose the belly fat, so I added more cardio.
  • breezysoul
    breezysoul Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Refined carbs like white sugar and white flour, etc. tend to gather at your belly. I'm also small-framed and can tell in my belly when I've had too much white stuff rather than whole grains.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am the same way and i am doing cardio and toning my abs because if you havfe fat you can't really tone. I do 3 sets at 30 secs each called planks. they are EXCELLENT for toning!!!! Then you can do leg raises for your lower tummy the pouch if you have it that works wanders to!!! good luck
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    I find cardio is the best and for the extra toning you might do some ab exercises. For women alot of times the tummy area is a hard one to tone. If anyone has any different ideas I am always looking to maximize my results.
  • randyanderson
    Options
    The basic idea with losing belly fat requires a combination. While, as mentioned, cardio to burn the fat and abdominal intense exercises (crunches, obliques, leg lifts, etc) will help with the process, the most important element with belly fat is diet. Now I am not saying that you should consume less calories or be on a diet, but many items in our diet will target our mid-section such as sugars, alcoholic beverages, white flour carbs that turn into sugar in the body as a few examples. If you are pretty active and already are fit with regular cardio exercises and ab workouts, then I would say take a look at your diet. Try and limit the amount of sugar you take in, limit alcoholic consumption and try to replace any white breads/pasta/rice for whole wheat and sprouted wheat products. Since you don't want to lose weight, make sure you are taking in the same number of calories and maybe up your protein a little to keep the muscles strong. Just eliminate the items that turn into sugar/refined sugar and add whole grains and wheat products!

Hope this helps, but know that belly fat is one of the hardest area to target. I also recommend a good natural detox product every 2-4 years as they help with flushing toxins in the body that build up over time of consuming acidic products and processed foods. The area that our body stores these toxins is in our midsection, so that as well can sometimes lead to more weight carried in that area.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Cardio cardio cardio... and then some more cardio.
  • krystaal870
    Options
    I need some tips too. I had twins though and i weigh 130lbs and when i sit down it falls over the pants. so many people told me that i dont need to loose weight but im not happy. i know i need to do cardio and eat healthy but i just cant stick to it cause i feel like i cant loose it.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I need some tips too. I had twins though and i weigh 130lbs and when i sit down it falls over the pants. so many people told me that i dont need to loose weight but im not happy. i know i need to do cardio and eat healthy but i just cant stick to it cause i feel like i cant loose it.

My issue is after having twins also. I don't think the reason for the extra fat matter much though. I just think it takes a long time to 'fix' this area and we are so used to getting more instant results that this is so much harder.

How old are your twins? Mine will be 2 next week.
  • Ripgirl
    Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Me too! My twins will be 2 in early February.

I now weigh less than I did when I got pregnant (at that time I'd been trying to lose about 10lbs) but my shape is different and I have that same belly issue when I sit down. Drives me crazy!
    I've been doing a lot of abs work and cardio, but it still seems like the muscles on my belly are loose which is frustrating. My upper abs look very different now that I've done all this, but the mid/lower abs still need a lot of work. It's hard not to get discouraged when the twins are almost 21 months and the muscles still don't seem 'normal'.
  • amanda89
    Options

My issue is after having twins also. I don't think the reason for the extra fat matter much though. I just think it takes a long time to 'fix' this area and we are so used to getting more instant results that this is so much harder.

How old are your twins? Mine will be 2 next week.

I'm trying to get pregnant right now. And I am a little scared of what my stomach will look like after I give birth. Any tips or advice on how to reduce the effects that pregnancy seems to have on your stomach? Excess fat and stretching.
  • LABONTEM
    Options
    Ditto on the great suggestions I've read on this topic.

I read a book called the "Flat Belly Diet" that has been helping a lot. I've lost 15 since mid-August, and 2 inches from my waist. I decided to try this diet after a friend of mine had excellent results with it. Unlike me, she didn't have a huge amount to lose, but was really trying to target the tummy. She looks soooo good now!!!

The main idea is to eat a mono-unsaturated fat (MUFA) at each meal. There are other guidelines too, but according to the authors of the book the MUFA's are the trick in targeting things like cortisol that cause our bodies to store fat in our bellies. This isn't a fad diet, and it works great with the tools I've found on MFP!!

Definately worth a read.