Please suggest alternatives for bread/wraps

Options
Hi - my hubby is doing fitness pal with me and I need some help with his packed lunches please.
Usually it will be a sandwich or a wrap and every so often a salad or a piece of quiche with a side salad. Bread and wraps are very high in carbs and calories though so we were wondering what to do instead. He cannot really snack during the day as his work is mostly client facing so I my concern is that a salad with some chicken goujons/ham might not fill him up sufficiently to get him through the afternoon.

Thanks!

Replies

• royherb
    royherb Posts: 4
    Options
    Lettuce wraps are great!
  • Anonymou5
    Anonymou5 Posts: 92
    Options
    perhaps a wrap using a cabbage leaf or 2 with a tonne of meat, veg and salad inside?
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Lettuce wraps are great! Plus, there are many batch cooking type meals you can add into your weekend routine so he'll have prepped leftovers -- my favorite is a 3-Bean Turkey Chili. Filling and delicious. Of course, this only works if he has access to a microwave for lunch.
  • abhiforlife
    abhiforlife Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You can try breads by 'Food for Life'. They are way more nutritious than regular bread.
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Choose whole wheat bread or wraps, pita is low on calories. If he takes carb in the afternoon, he can skip bread at night, to balance the carb for the day.
  • mpaige1969
    mpaige1969 Posts: 52
    Options
    lettuce wraps or arnolds bread...they are only about 100 calories
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I use lettuce leaves when I make tacos but have a lot of filling inside.

You could do an open-face sandwich with a piece of eggplant or make a healthy version of a KFC Double Down (lean chicken for the "bun" veggies on the inside).

A big stir fry could work- lots of veggies/protein
  • Anonymou5
    Anonymou5 Posts: 92
    Options
    "I need an alternative for bread/wraps"

Have you tried the bread/wraps... the question was alternatives...
  • nanamary47
    nanamary47 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i agree that lettuce wraps are great and low carb. You can pack alot in them.:drinker:
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    just learned this in diabetes class - when you look at the ingredients, you can do breads if they are whole grain breads. If the ingredients start with enriched flour, it is not a whole grain. The denser the bread the better it is for your.
  • mississippi_queen
    mississippi_queen Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I love the Sara Lee Whole Wheat Thin Buns.... They're only 100 calories for the whole bun.
  • dsmease7
    dsmease7 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar situation as your husband at work. I have found that sandwich thins are a great alternative to bread. They are only 100 calories & I like them more than bread:) Put some tuna or other high protein meat between & you have a tasty sandwich that last me till dinner. I hope you find something he likes.
  • TaraFTMVA
    TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a low carb, whole wheat tortilla. 81 cals per serving they are by la banderita, a great alternative to any other tortilla I have seen so far. They are also very filling I use them all the time for my breakfast burritos and low fat quesadillas
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Try a flaxmeal wrap..

1/4 cup flaxmeal
    1/3 teaspoon baking powder
    1 egg
    salt if you wish

Whisk the whole lot together
    put in a round silicone dish ( or a flatish plate)
    make sure if goes all round the sides

microwave for approx 80 secs

Enjoy

1 gr carb per wrap
    3 gr fibre
  • Mykaylaliz
    Mykaylaliz Posts: 193
    Options
    i also use sandwich thins by arnolds. 100 calories. i tend to buy the wheat ones
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    La Tortilla Factory has great low carb high fiber tortillas. Just take a look at the Nutritional Values before buying them, some have more calories than others. The ones I like have 80 calories I think... I pretty much live off them. Never buy bread.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Mission Whole Wheat Tortillas make good wraps and are only 130 calories. Plus they taste good, which is most important!
  • Meryleanne
    Options
    Here is another option: I use FLAX BREAD. Tear/cut each large piece in half and that gives you 2 days worth in one piece. There are 5 in a bag usually. I keep it refrigerated from the moment I get it home.

Also, it's tasty, you can toast it in a toaster oven, sprinkle spices on if you want AND very low carbs & calories.

Enjoy, I do :heart:
  • GFreg
    GFreg Posts: 404
    Options
    I would say lettuce or something like that, but check out Flatout bread too. Much better than 2 big slices of white bread.

http://www.flatoutbread.com/
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Think outside of sandwich. You're going to end up with salads or reheatable foods. For a light carb load, I use Ry Krisp. Often an open faced sandwich. Ingredients packed separately.