Dog training

Options
plantgrrl
plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
So, my husband and I will be getting a dog in the next year or so and I can't figure out why this wouldn't work: Couldn't you just train your dog--when it's ready to poo--to do it INTO to bag? Like setting the bag on the ground so they can poo into it when they're good to go...I've found ONE person online who does it, so I know it's possible, I just can't figure out why he's the only other person who's thought of this.

Is there a reason EVERYONE doesn't do this? Or...I don't get it.

Replies

• EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    You definitely good train that. Instead of using a pad on the floor you could use a plastic bag. Not sure why people don't do it, I never thought of it before.
  • dncase78
    dncase78 Posts: 4
    Options
    You can train a dog to do that. Dogs will do anything for treats. The only problem will be the noise of the bag. They might be afraid of it or may just want to play with it. I am a certified dog trainer so if you have questions feel free to pick my brain...
  • Foxypoo61287
    Foxypoo61287 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Why don't you poo in a bag? If your going to get a dog, you should consider the responsibilities of having a dog. The dog needs to be walked. And you should honor the dogs natural habits. I understand that there will be accidents, but none the less you should not get a dog if you want to train the dog to poop in a bag or pee on a mat. And if you going to be gone long enough to where the dog may pee or poop in the house, you take them out before you leave & then kennel them while your gone.

I know your going to take that as me being a b&^%$, but it's my opinion & I think if your too lazy to walk the dog outside or do anything that prevents messes in the house, then you really shouldn't own a dog. I've had dogs for 20 years.
  • ratellcm
    ratellcm Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You probably could, perhaps with a big enough bag... usually the bags I use are pretty small, and I don't think my dog's aim behind him would be any good. I'd be afraid of it not winding up centred and actually having a tougher time closing the bag than if you just picked it up... maybe a paper bag with more structure would work? That being said, my dog tends to start to walk away DURING so he'd be a lost cause ;)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Some people litter-train their dogs. The dog will never have very good aim.
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    its something ive never thought of, ive had three dogs, from 8 week old puppies...i always use a pad at first then take them outside in the garden everytime they have an accident, it worked very fast for me, i always train my dogs to do it on grass, this way they dont just do it on a pavement/road, then i pick it up with a bag...personally im not keen on the bag on floor for the dog but each to their own. good luck whenever you get your dog :)
  • KWright76
    KWright76 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Just train the dog so it will sit on the toilet and poo.
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    My dogs both like to move when pooping so it would never make it in the bag. I say if you can get your dog to do it more power to you. You are a better trainer than me. Besides then what would I make the kids pick up! :laugh:
  • JeepBaja
    JeepBaja Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Are you going to stand behind the dog every time it poops or just when you are walking? With any dog training consistency is required. It's not natural for a dog to have someone hovering over them while they poop. Yeah you can train them into doing it but I don't see any real benefit. Either way you are dealing with their smelly poop.

Let the dog do its business, then pick it up. I have a pooper-scooper for the back yard and I carry scented poop bags. They are thick and strong enough to hold my 90lbs. B&T Coonhound's poop though I still use one bag to wrap my hand then a second to pick up the poop...
  • Foxypoo61287
    Foxypoo61287 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Just train the dog so it will sit on the toilet and poo.

^^^ This! :laugh:
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Just follow it around with a bag and try to catch it when it comes out. Or put a diaper on him.
  • jennt_22
    jennt_22 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I think it is do-able... there are many different ways to train your dogs. You just need to find out what will work for you and your new pup the best! Remember though that in the beginning they will need to go to the bathroom A LOT (after eating/drinking/playing/napping/etc).

For me personally I bought two small plastic under-the-bed-storage crates (like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-34-qt-Latch-Box-Set-of-6/20699654).
    Then I filled them with Pine Chips and trained my pup to go in there from day 1. This eliminated A LOT of the initial puppy accidents they have because they don't have full control of their bladder and can't hold it for as long until they get a little older. This also made it so easy to teach him to go outside because I would move the 'potty box' next to the door, then outside, and he picked it up in no time. Don't forget to give your dog A TON of praise when they are going where you want them to, and if they have an accident yell at them WHILE it is happening. If you don't do it in the moment I think yelling at them is pointless... they will get confused and may not understand what they did wrong.

Overall I think training to go in a potty box or potty pad (or bag like you would like to try) is all good and helps especially in the beginning, but I would not recommend this for a dog for its entire life. I think they should be trained to go outside eventually but that's just my personal opinion. Then your house will be cleaner and smell a lot better too :)