exercising but gaining weight?

Options
I lost 30 lbs on the South Beach Diet. I kept it off for 3 years. Now, I am trying to get the last 11 off. I started tracking food and exercising 5 days a week (treadmill or eliptical for 30-40 minutes) and 2 days of a core strengthing class. I have gained 4 lbs! I now have 15 to lose. I know muscle is building and weighs more and that muscle will burn fat more efficiantly, but I have been doing this for 6 weeks and it is starting to be a bit depressing. Any suggestions? (Calories are 1200-1500 and I am now back on Phase 1 of south beach diet).

Replies

• khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    Your body is trying to figure things out. Keep a very close eye on your calories. Often women tend to overeat when they are working out. I have that problem when I'm training heavy. Also check your sodium levels. Other than that, just give it time. Takes quite a bit to gain a pound of muscle for women, so let your body adjust and watch the calories. I lost my final 10 this year...so I totally understand that struggle!! Hope this helps!!
  • Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat! I know exactly what you mean. But, my clothes are starting to fit looser and I can tell my tummy is a little flatter. Just give it time, and throw away the scale. Or at least only weigh like once a month or something. I was making myself INSANE with the scale. Stick to your healthy diet and keep exercising. Focus on strength training and you will see results. Don't worry about the number, think about how great you feel and how you look in the mirror. :flowerforyou:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    What does the tape say? What does the mirror say?

I've been busting hump and been stuck for a while. Haven't lost a pound since July, and even put a few back on. But my waist is smaller and everything else is bigger and I'm getting stronger. I'm in serious jeopardy of losing my wedding band. I have veins showing on my arms now... :happy:

The scale only tells part of the story - what do the other indicators say?
  • casamelsmom
    Options
    I did get out the tape. Down 1" at the waist. I know it is helping, but after working so hard to lose the weight (scale wise) it is frustrating to see it go up. I have cut carbs out. It is helping. I will keep going. This is a long term plan for me. I did the South beach diet and lost it 3 years ago and kept it off. So... this is what I am doing now and I will be with this until the kids are out for the summer. Then, I will have to do outdoor activities.