LOW CALORIE SALMON (ANY FISH) RECIPES

Options
Leesa808
Leesa808 Posts: 40 Member
Hi I really like including fish such as salmon, cod, scallops etc. into my diet, and I always bake the fish, but sometimes I find it to plain, there needs to be more flavor. Anyone have and recipes they could share. low calorie if possible. THANKS:)

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I just use light steak seasoning on my salmon. (Have to be super careful not to oversalt.)

Hit it with a little peanut oil on the fleshy side.

Sear it in a cast iron pan on on medium-high heat. After about 2 minutes I flip it over on the skin and toss it in the oven for 8-15 minutes at 400f depending on size. I ate 1+lb slab of salmon this way the other day. MMmm Mmm!

Sometimes I'll put a pat of butter on top while it's cooking, or sear it in a pat of butter. Makes the flavor slightly richer.
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Jugie's Caribbean Tilapia!

season both sides of fillets with the following:

cajun seasoning (Tony Chachere's is perfect)
    garlic powder
    cilantro
    lemon pepper

Remember, Tilapia is a light fish, it doesn't need a whole bunch of seasoning to get flavor. Just do as much as you think is good, I eyeball it.

Spray skillet with heart-healthy non-stick spray (or bake it, whichever you prefer) and throw in the fillets. While cooking, squeeze fresh lime juice over each side. Cook to your liking and ta-da!! If that's not flavorful and nom-nom-worthy, I don't know what is!

Cod - man, just bake that sucker and use some Louisiana Hot Sauce for dipping! Ha, keep it simple!
  • Betsnikel
    Betsnikel Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I like the Salmon Rub they have at Gordon Food Service. I season both sides of the fish and grill it in a tsp of Olive Oil. Or I wrap it in foil with some fresh lemon, garlic, onions and put it on the grill.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Fish tacos are always A OKAY in my book. You can still season and bake the fish and add to it. Beans, homemade salsa, avocado, they make low calorie tortillas ( my favorite is father sam's 80 calorie). Great for family meals too, everyone gets to make their own :)
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    The other day, I just took a salmon fillet and seasoned with salt and pepper, then wrapped in foil. It was in the refrigerator all day and I just popped it into the oven for dinner that night. The trick is to bake at 350 or 400 and not too long, so you don't dry it out. I'm usually baking something else with it, so I just check after 10 or 15 minutes to see how it is...depends on the thickness, etc.
  • WhatDoesLisa
    WhatDoesLisa Posts: 214
    Options
    I made this a couple of weeks ago and I loved it. I am not a recipe kind of person so here goes. Please note that cardamom is expensive and I found it ground at my local health food store and was able to buy a very small amount. It didn't even weigh on the scale so they charged me a quarter! But, the cardamom is key here. And use it within 2 days of buying it or it loses a lot of its flavor.

-2 tbsps real maple syrup
    -Ground cardamom
    -Smoked paprika or paprika
    -Dash of cayenne

Mix this all together and pour it over the salmon filet and bake it for 10 minutes. I used an 8 ounce filet and split it in half to use it for 2 meals. It was really amazing.
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I just marinate the salmon fillet with 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce and 1/2 cup fat free or low fat zesty italian dressing. Bake it for 20 min. Sooo good. My kids love it also.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bumping this for later read....thanks everybody...I like dill and a bit butter on my fish then bake....
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    my husband gives me backrubs after this one:

1/2 cup greek yogurt
    2 T whatever mayo you are eating
    1/2 feta
    1 1/2 cup shopped spinach
    small can of sliced black olives

mix all of that together to form a thick sort of "paste" S&P the salmon to your taste and spread this mix nice and thick on top of it. pop it in the oven until the fish is cooked through.

its tangy, cheesy decadent and still pretty good for you!
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Love making salmon too, mainly baked/broiled in oven 180 degree Celsius for 20-30 mins. following are added before baking open face.

Very low calories: chop 2 cloves of garlic, sprinkle on top of salmon. Little salt. A little dried parsley.

Another Tastier/spice - garlic powder, red cayenne, paprika, salt, black pepper, with dried dill.

Heavier taste: mustard seed, soya sauce, honey, paprika. (may marinate before hand).
  • chancie72
    chancie72 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Asian sesame salmon- mccormick makes a recipe card that has premeasured seasonings plus the recipe on it. It is soooo good! I can look at my recipe card and give you the ingred. if you are interested.
  • emilylacey1010
    Options
    Bump
  • mconway79
    mconway79 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My favorite and quick and easy is broiled tilapia. I put thawed fish on a baking sheet, Pre heat oven on broil hi. i sprinkle fish with old bay and a little salt. Brush with a little oil and broil 6 to 8 minutes. So yummmy and quick and easy :happy:
  • LHudson53
    LHudson53 Posts: 126
    Options
    My husband marinates our salmon in spicey ginger teriyaki before baking or grilling. It is wonderful!!!
  • Jtorres326
    Jtorres326 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    A coworker gave me this recipe. Poached salmon: place salmon fillets in 1/2 c wine, juice of 2 lemons, whole garlic cloves (smashed and tossed in the with everything else: I used 5 cloves but use to taste) lightly salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, put lid and lightly poach salmon for about 10 minutes. Remove salmon, raise heat and reduce broth for about 3-4 minutes. add salt and pepper to taste, serve with sauce over the salmon w some brown rice and veggies. YUM!
  • MENichols5
    MENichols5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    bump! love fish!!
  • acash98
    acash98 Posts: 2
    Options
    Bump!
  • Leesa808
    Leesa808 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Wow, Thanks everyone, I can't wait to try some of the these interesting recipes! I was just getting so bored with the plain bake fish
    :( ....Keep them coming!! Thanks again!!!
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    For salmon I like to wrap it in foil or parchment and add lemon slices and maybe a few sprigs of fresh dill on top. That way I can prep earlier in the day (naptime is what works for me!) and just pop it in the oven at suppertime. This method works with any fish, and can also be done on the barbecue when you use the foil. You could try cod with onions and mushroom, or sole with tomatoes and olives, or whatever combos of flavours and fish that you like. Get creative!!! I love that fish is healthy and so quick cooking!
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    Coat a salmon fillet in half a clove of chopped garlic, cilantro and lemon zest, then pan fry or grill. Fresh and delish!