Going from treadmill to outside... what's it like?

Options
I can run for an hour on my treadmill anywhere between 4.7 - 5.3 mph. It's hard during the first 20 minutes, but at that hour mark, I feel like I can kep going. Last night I burned 1006 calories doing this.

I want to try running outside and taking advantage of the trail near my house. I heard that it's harder to run outside, but how? What's it like? What makes it different?

Who has made that transition from treadmill to outdoors?

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    LOTS of people will tell you how much harder it is. That you can't run as fast, or as far. I've seen numbers like 50% and 80% of what you can do on a treadmill. I had totally psyched myself out because of this.

When I made the switch to running outdoors, it was very SLIGHTLY harder physically (and I was a bit sore the next day, which never happened on the treadmill), but so much easier mentally. The biggest thing I think people do is go too fast once the treadmill isn't controlling speed. I didn't have that problem and I was fine. I'm very consistent in my running pace. To help with this, I would recommend using a smart phone app that will call out your speed and pace every 5 minutes to help keep you on track. I use Jog Log now and love it! It costs $1.99 but WELL worth it to me.

My post about jog log: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/622655-great-running-app-jog-log
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It was harder on the knees without the shock absorbers on the treadmill....was slower, but sweat MORE! and feel much more accomplished when done....you feel like you are actually GOING somewhere...LOL
  • tony2009
    tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's the environment, but I can run MUCH farther outside. I cannot stand to run in place after knowing it's sunny outside. I can get in maybe one hour on a treadmill before I just get bored and jump off. Outside, I get in 4-7 miles depending on how I feel.

I also cannot notice a difference between the resistance of a treadmill as opposed to the trails. Maybe it's just me, but you'll never know until you try!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I experienced some mild shin splints when I made the transition and found that there level of exertion is higher (no moving belt propelling you) but I have no real desire to run on a treadmill any more. (I run outdoors all year 'round, even in the middle of winter & it gets cold here)
  • missywill1
    missywill1 Posts: 23
    Options
    Did you slowly work up to running for an hour?

I usually do intervals on the treadmill but have a hard time with the running---I would love to get more time in running though.
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Personally, for me... it sucks. You're definitely using more, plus it's harder on the joints. On the treadmill I can easily jog a mile... recently for a fight camp, we had to do a mile run to get to the park we were training at and dear Lord... it was NOT fun. It seemed like my breathing was out of sync, joints hurt more (300lbs will do that I suppose)... this of course is just MY experience... but I'd prefer treadmill running... however, I know that road running is much better as far as exercise is concerned.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    lions and tigers and bears...OH MY!
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I agree with the top poster. Initially, you get REAL sore. For me, it was because i ran around the block and it was on the side of a small hill. I have a hrm and compared to the exact same distance on the treadmill, I burned 100 more calories running outside [considering the elevation, I guess.]
    It's glorious. Fresh air, hot sun, sweat pouring down your face. AH! I just didnt like that the pavement was hella hot and started burning through my shoes, haha. S'all good, I still have incredible workouts! <3
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    It's freedom. Screw the initial pain and crazy drivers, I'd rather run in the rain or snow than run on a treadmill.
  • Tarale1
    Tarale1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I found that running outside is a bit harder because you don't have the motion of the treadmill to help you, but having said that, I found that since i started outside 2 days a week (Sat and Sun) that I have seen lot's of improvement. I prefer to be outside, especially since the trail by my house is literally steps away from lake ontario and has tons of scenary.

I say, put your ipod on (or whatever music device you have), runners and head outdoors - your body will thank you for it later.
  • stepharega
    stepharega Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    bump bump bump!
  • Will_Lift_4_Shoes
    Will_Lift_4_Shoes Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say harder as much as it is different. The road feels different than your treadmill does. It will be an adjustment period where you may run slower, but as you get used to where you are running outside you will love it. Now, I can't stand running on my treadmill. Kudo's to you for making it that long on the treadmill!
  • mindysreadyforchange
    mindysreadyforchange Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I started running outside and have in the last month moved to inside on the treadmill...only because I live in AZ and it is blazing hot here. I couldn't hang with the heat anymore.

I prefer to run outside...it is so much nicer and beautiful. I feel like it helps the time go by instead of staring at a machine. With that being said I feel like I can run longer inside on the treadmill. I think that it is harder to run outside because of the different terrain. You cannot control that when you are outside it just happens. Where as inside you can control it. I also like running outside because I have to finish! I mean I have to get back home right! No choice but to finish! Inside I can just hit stop.

I will go back to outside as soon as it cools off!
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I was not as fast (at first) but it was so much more fun. Things to look at, fresh air to breathe and actually movement. You'll love it.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    More sun.
  • kelleybelly35
    kelleybelly35 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have always ran outside....just the thought of being stuck on a treadmill for a run makes me shudder : /
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Harder.

More friction against you, hotter, more noises and distractions.
  • bigbcor
    bigbcor Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I personally only use the treadmill when I have to, i.e., the winter months or when it rains. The rest of the time I prefer flat roads and mostly trail running. Running on the treadmill for me is very boring and when I I finally get on the road I find I actually run faster times per mile as the tread mill holds you at a specific pace. When you run free on the road your pace changes frequently. I have now moved onto mostly trail running and mountain biking as both feel better on my joints than the treadmill or road. Just my thoughts.
  • blynn2708
    blynn2708 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I found the transition a little harder, but much more enjoyable! To see other runners, getting the fresh air, change of scenery, way better outside! Also, I find my legs are burning more, I feel so much better after running outside! Good luck, take it slow:flowerforyou:
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    simply put, its less boring and colder :)