It's Hard to Stay on track when you work nights!

Options
13»

Replies

• chipmunk70
    chipmunk70 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean.....I work 4 nights a week 38 weeks a year (residential school), they are waking nights, and while over the last 2 years I have lost 70 lbs, it's not been easy going. I've been off track for the last month or so, just couldn't keep it up.

When the sun goes in, our body produces melatonin which helps us to sleep, and slows our metabolism down, so those working at night not only have to fight the melatonin to stay awake, but we are eating when our metabolism is slower, then when the sun comes up the melatonin disappears, we then have to try and sleep, by being asleep our metabolism is slow, so yes it can be hard work trying to lose the weight, plus trying to find the time to fit in working out or any form of exercise.

I also find my will power isn't as good, especially if it is a `quiet night' when nothing much is going on, and then all I want to do is eat...and the vending machine at work doesn't help !

But like I said I have lost 70+ lbs in the last year, so it can be done, it's a slow job, but you can do it as well.
  • senator_kang
    Options
    Melatonin can help, but the key is to shut off all light when you sleep. Your body associates sleep with lack of light. If you watch TV or mess around with the computer as a way to relax, you are only keeping yourself up longer- the light tells your lizard brain (what keeps you breathing and regulates sleep, the hypothalamus) to stay awake, because there is light.

The other main thing that helps me is just a mental attitude, so please don't be offended by what I say here... this is just my own opinion: when we start thinking "Wow, it's this night job that's keeping me from losing weight," then we have set up the excuse for failure. We have a reason to write off our failure as acceptable. If the night job goes away, there will be another excuse. It is never easy.

It is always hard, so plan ahead, ask for help, but do what it takes to lose the weight, if that is what you want to do- do it.

You can struggle, you can complain, but do not blame your circumstances, because they are not what make you what you are. Please do not take offense, but look at those who have so much less, and such worse circumstances, and have done EXACTLY what they have set out to do.

It is planning, effort, effort, effort, and more effort. That's what you need, not a day job. A day job will come with its own excuses. Move past your schedule. Do you have a written plan on how to lose weight, from where you are now? That's the first physical step, after you make the mental decision. If you can't even write down a plan to try to stick to... then just stick with that part about how it's all due to your schedule. But if you want to lose weight, keep trying, and write down a plan, even an overly simple one. You can do this, and the night job crap will not stop you. You are better than your circumstances.
  • poundsgalore
    poundsgalore Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I hate night shifts. I work 2 nights a week and like today, I woke at 6am and won't get to go to bed until 9.30am tomorrow morning. I dont know if I'm coming or going with my food and there's no way I'm going to get any excersise in now until Saturday (I have 3 children around all day long and no child care to go and do anything) the thought of working out tomorrow when I get in from work (and have been awake for 27 hours) makes me want to vomit! And to think all this, and I'll die before my retirement?!!! Charming!
    I am with you. When you cannot adjust the entire houses patterns to match yours it is very difficult. I have worked the night shift forever because when I was younger/childless it worked for me, I am a night-owl. When we had children it worked because we didn't want to use child care. But now with 2 in elementary and 1 in middle school it is harder. I sleep for about 3-4 hours and it time for them to come home from school, or if one is sick I cannot sleep at all. I go sometimes for 2 days or more without sleep and then when I am off that is all I want to do. Sleep my doctor says will help in the weight loss, and I am still working on getting the right amount, kids are getting older so it is getting a little easier. The food thing is hard but I found only bringing certain items, planning my food intake helps a little. I work as a hospital switchboard operator and there are also always snacks or food the day shift had from parties in the fridge or sitting out. I have very little willpower. When it is slow during the middle of the night, it sounds stupid, but I turn up the phones (I work alone) and I walk around the office, around the conference table, etc. People giggle at me from other offices sometimes but then again, some who work evenings have started walking too because they see what a difference it makes. I also take the kids walking with me at home, they enjoy the time together, even if I have to pry my son from his Xbox. Good luck to you all! I know it is hard, but we can do it!!
  • dewdropinn
    dewdropinn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have worked nights for the last 13 yrs - 11pm - 7am, 4 nightshifts a week. I successfully lost 20 kg (sorry am in NZ, don't know the lbs). Typical day for me was - Home 0730, go for a 5 km walk, bed at around 0900. Sleep for around 5 hrs. Up and either have cereal or crackers & cottage cheese. Have a normal dinner with family at about 7pm then back to bed at 8pm for 2 - 2.5 hrs. I don't eat at work as I can't stomach food at night. I do have 2 cans of Pepsi Max though to see me through. That was my typical day when I was losing weight - now unfortunately the cereal and crackers have been replaced by chips again, the walk is non existant and I'm raiding the snack machine at work - hence why I've joined MFP to get back on track. I lost the 20 kg over 4 months about 4 years ago and have probably put back on 10 kg. I know I can do it again, I just need to be in the right mindset but I am getting there.
  • biggsexy7
    biggsexy7 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I actually found it easier to lose weight working nights. There is no food to eat anywhere around here at night so you have to bring your own. So in that case I just bring my healthy food and that's all I can eat. If your not getting enough sleep though it can also slow down your weight loss because your body isn't getting enough rest.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I totally understand all of these comments about working nights. There's unhealthy snacks left around at the desks all the time. There's no food readily available (like a cafe or something). You rarely have time to actually sit down and eat your healthy food because you're understaffed so.. you grab crackers and cheese or crackers and peanut butter on the go.
    All of this is specific to your workplace and inherent in working nights.
  • biggsexy7
    biggsexy7 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I totally understand all of these comments about working nights. There's unhealthy snacks left around at the desks all the time. There's no food readily available (like a cafe or something). You rarely have time to actually sit down and eat your healthy food because you're understaffed so.. you grab crackers and cheese or crackers and peanut butter on the go.
    All of this is specific to your workplace and inherent in working nights.

Yes it is all specific to your workplace but so many people either don't know your dieting or they just don't care and want to make it hard on ya.