Random - but need advice about my puppy

Options
Hi guys. I woke up this morning and noticed my dog's nail was rotated 180 degrees. Instead of pointing down, the nail is pointing up. I'm assuming she got it caught on something and ripped it out in panic, causing it to turn. I tried to Google what to do, but found nothing. I tried calling my vet's office, and the woman I spoke to on the phone was incredibly rude. When I told her it was facing upwards, she was like, "If you aren't a trained veterinarian, you shouldn't be making a diagnosis." I was like "uhhhhh... Well, I do have eyes, and it is pointing up."

Anyway, I don't want to spend the time or money going in for an "emergency appointment" if this really isn't an issue. Have any of you ever had an animal with this problem? My dog doesn't seem to care about it. She isn't limping or chewing at it or anything. But at the same time, it looks like it has to hurt.

Edit: I'm trying to decide if I should wait for their first available appointment Sunday or just taking her in as an emergency today.
Edit again: The actual part that was upside down fell off. All that's left is a small stub looking thing where her kwick should be. It didn't bleed when it fell off and she still doesn't seem to be caring about it, haha.

Replies

• FollowThatUnicorn
    FollowThatUnicorn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I would take her to the vet or if they can't see her right away, take her to an emergency clinic. If it is torn at all, or cut at the base or something, it could lead to an infection. It's better not to take that risk.
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I agree- you should have it looked at. Besides being torn and the risk of infection she have actually broken it even though she's not limping on it.
  • pduckworth
    pduckworth Posts: 133
    Options
    I would take her to the vet or if they can't see her right away, take her to an emergency clinic. If it is torn at all, or cut at the base or something, it could lead to an infection. It's better not to take that risk.
    Okay. I was torn between making an appointment for Sunday (their first available) or taking her in as an emergency today. I didn't even think about the possibility of infection.
  • bazaar1982
    bazaar1982 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Is it the full nail or just the sheath? If its just the nail sheath there'll be no blood - if so then she will let you pull it off (gently) - it is no more than a broken nail. However if there's blood then it's broken down to the quick, or more, which will probably need veterinary treatment, even if it's just removal. If she's not in pain I'd say no need for an emergency appt - just book I for the next available non-emergency' one!
  • pduckworth
    Options
    Is it the full nail or just the sheath? If its just the nail sheath there'll be no blood - if so then she will let you pull it off (gently) - it is no more than a broken nail. However if there's blood then it's broken down to the quick, or more, which will probably need veterinary treatment, even if it's just removal. If she's not in pain I'd say no need for an emergency appt - just book I for the next available non-emergency' one!
    I haven't seen any blood. She won't let me get a close look at it, but that's her normal personality, haha. She never lets me look at her nails. I tried to push it back to the correct direction, but I didn't want to hurt her so I stopped. This would happen a lot to my rabbits and their nails would just slide back into position. My dog's isn't doing that.
  • bazaar1982
    Options
    Can you try looking when she's sleeping? If it's painful she'll soon wake up. I wouldn't try moving it until you've checked how bad it is as you may hurt her.
  • pduckworth
    Options
    I got a close look of it. The actual part that was turned upside down is gone. Looks like it just fell off. All that's left is a hollow stub looking ... thing. Sorry, my nail anatomy isn't the best. There still isn't any blood thankfully.
  • FollowThatUnicorn
    FollowThatUnicorn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    So maybe it's nothing serious. I'm an extreme dog mom though. I freak out about everything and rush them to the vet.
  • PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Maybe it was just her dew claw. Puppies lose those and when my dogs did, it looked like a "finger" was falling off. However, if it is hurting, then she needs to see a vet cuz if it is broken, it will need to be set and if it is her nail, it could get infected. I am no vet but I am an animal freak and have been living with them all my life. I have two dogs now.
  • dellrio
    dellrio Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Had this happen to my puppy once - it was just a broken nail. In my case it broke off really low and there was blood, she was limping. I took her to the vet and they put this superglue like stuff on the end of the nail, wrapped it up in a bandage and said to remove the bandage in a couple days. The next morning she was acting normal again. If there is no blood I think you will be just fine.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You could try taking your puppy to a groomer. Pay the $10 to get the nails cut and have them advise on it. Sure, they aren't doctors, but should still be able to tell you if there is any need to go in.
  • Babsvii
    Babsvii Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Take her to the vet. they will probably have to rip the entire nail off so it can grown back normally.... my dog tore her nail and this had to happen. it doesnt always have to bleed to be torn but if its facing the wrong direction then there is defiantly something going on that needs to be fixed. If you can do it yourself then you can try but from the sounds of it she wont let you touch it so i would take her in.

I'm a Dog breeder so i have dealt with my share dog problems.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I was informed that a dog cannot get an infection of the nail through having the "quick" break. If there is no blood, I would assume it would be as if a hang nail came off. When you say hollow stub, do you mean she has a hole down to her skin, or the nail itself now looks hollow?

If you don't have the money (I know emergency vets up here at about $500), I think you would be ok until Sunday IF you keep her indoors. Infection is always a possibility with an open wound.
  • bazaar1982
    Options
    Sounds fine but I'd u want to send me a pic I can have a look? Ot a vet but an animal behaviour & sciences student, we do a prevet module which covers stuff like this.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I would take her in today. At the very least, that's got to be very painful. I wouldn't wait to have her seen.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a vet's office. if you touch it, does he/she pull away? If it is just the nail sheath that has come off (happens to my chihuahua every now and then), it can just be lightly pulled off. If it gives resistance though, or there is any blood or tenderness, she needs a vet. Best of luck and I hope it is just the casing that has been snagged.
  • kuunsilta
    kuunsilta Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't seem to be causing he a lot of agony, you should probably wait for the appointment - and perhaps with a clinic that treats it's clients better. If you have more thna one in the area, maybe you can get her into a place sooner that isn't on emergency. I know that emergency can be very expensive.

The groomer idea is interesting, I would have never thought of that
  • pduckworth
    Options
    I tried to get a picture of it, but she just thinks its a game. Basically there's about 15% of her nail left. About 5% of that 15% is hollow and you can see down into it. I'm assuming that 10% that's left is where her "quick" is and that it hasn't been affected because there isn't any blood.

The groomer idea is a pretty good one. I might actually do that. Her nails are starting to get long so I wanted to take her in soon anyway to have them trimmed.
  • pduckworth
    Options
    Ah ha! My vet's office just called and somebody canceled their appointment for today. They'll let me take their spot and have it just be a normal office visit. I'm going to do that and have it checked out just to make sure everything's okay. I'll let you guys know what they say. Thanks for all of the ideas! :D
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    If there is no blood and tenderness, it should be fine!! This happened with Trixie Monday night. She had one nail that got snagged, the sheath came off and there is a shaft of nail that goes over the quick. It looks VERY short, but as long as there is no limping, pain, or blood, you are in the clear. Pay attention for a few days to make sure that the quick isnt exposed IN the shaft and gets infected. If she begins to limp or the area is tender to the touch or swollen or fevered, take her in as soon as possible.