Leftover Pork Tenderloin....

Options
lukeout007
lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
So here's a question...last night I made Teriyaki Pork Tenderloin. I hated the marinade that I used but we have a full pork tenderloin left that has been marinated. I don't want it to go to waste. I had considered just buying some good teriyaki sauce and trying to cover up the flavor but that just seems like a lot of added calories (and sugar...)

Does anyone have ideas for what I can do with leftover teriyaki pork tenderloin?

Replies

• charlenemartens
    charlenemartens Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try putting it in a crock pot with some low sodium fat free chicken brother and some veggies (onion, carrots, celery) to give it additional flavors. You can always shred it on use it on a salad or put it in some tacos. Good luck.
  • lukeout007
    Options
    Try putting it in a crock pot with some low sodium fat free chicken brother and some veggies (onion, carrots, celery) to give it additional flavors. You can always shred it on use it on a salad or put it in some tacos. Good luck.

That's a great idea...unfortunately I don't have a crockpot at the moment (mine broke). I love the taco idea though...even if I got some teriyaki sauce and used just a little and then sliced it thin and put some rice and some thai basil...maybe some carrot and cabbage...

Yeah...this could be great!
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    You could do a similar thing in the oven - just put a bunch of chicken broth/water in the bottom of the pan and cook it.

Maybe cut it up in medallions and season those with some of the same flavors of teriyaki (ginger, garlic, etc) then grill or pan cook it?
  • lukeout007
    Options
    You could do a similar thing in the oven - just put a bunch of chicken broth/water in the bottom of the pan and cook it.

Maybe cut it up in medallions and season those with some of the same flavors of teriyaki (ginger, garlic, etc) then grill or pan cook it?

The problem is it's already cooked...I marinated it in the teriyaki sauce and cooked it last night...so if I were to slice and grill it it'll just toughen it up.
  • llahairdna
    llahairdna Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I love spinach and swiss cheese with my pork tenderloin--wilt the spinach and put it on top, then cover with swiss and broil to melt the cheese. It's yummy. :)
  • lukeout007
    Options
    I love spinach and swiss cheese with my pork tenderloin--wilt the spinach and put it on top, then cover with swiss and broil to melt the cheese. It's yummy. :)

That's an interesting idea...I don't like cooked spinach but I could see that working with Arugula.
  • DKaye09
    DKaye09 Posts: 109
    Options
    You could boil it in water until soft and then drain it, and shred it to make pulled pork (just add some sauce and toss it in a pan to warm it all up!)
  • lukeout007
    Options
    You could boil it in water until soft and then drain it, and shred it to make pulled pork (just add some sauce and toss it in a pan to warm it all up!)

This wouldn't toughen it up at all since it's already cooked?
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Rinse it off.

Then shred it with forks.

Heat it up and eat it in a taco salad -- lettuce, black beans, grilled corn nibblets, pico de gallo.

yum!
  • gabriele_01
    Options
    Unfortunately, once a piece of meat is cooked it's really hard to infuse it with any other flavor. And it'll toughen up if you cook it again, regadless of whether you'll cut it up or leave it whole. Looks like you'll have to make do with it like it is. I'd offer to help get rid of it, but I don't like Teriyaki at all... ;-)
  • lukeout007
    Options
    Unfortunately, once a piece of meat is cooked it's really hard to infuse it with any other flavor. And it'll toughen up if you cook it again, regadless of whether you'll cut it up or leave it whole. Looks like you'll have to make do with it like it is. I'd offer to help get rid of it, but I don't like Teriyaki at all... ;-)

Haha...that was my suspicion (the flavor...not that you don't like teriyaki). I'm thinking the best idea is slicing thin and putting it in asian flavored tacos...
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Shred it and make pork sandwiches. Maybe a little BBQ sauce on it.
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    make a big organic green salad with a ton of different veggies and use a really yummy dressing like Briannes blush wine vinagrette ... I do that with different meats left over from the night before alll the time
  • jasper186
    jasper186 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Waste it don't waist it! In the big scheme of things is is really worth eating something you don't like?:angry: In a month from now will you still care? I doubt it......toss it in the trash and don't look back:bigsmile:
  • lukeout007
    Options
    Waste it don't waist it! In the big scheme of things is is really worth eating something you don't like?:angry: In a month from now will you still care? I doubt it......toss it in the trash and don't look back:bigsmile:

Married with a 3 year old and another on the way and only one income...

Yep...it's worth eating something I don't like. I won't waste something that can not only feed my entire family for a night but also provide lunch for me the next day.
  • DKaye09
    Options

Nope! Boiling it will soften it to the point where it should fall apart easily enough on its own. I do this every time I make pernil (a pork shoulder). We always have so much leftover, so I save it and make pulled pork sandwiches. After shredding the meat I just toss it with some sauce, throw it in a frying pan on high heat quickly just to heat it evenly with the sauce, and then its done!
  • lukeout007
    Options

Nope! Boiling it will soften it to the point where it should fall apart easily enough on its own. I do this every time I make pernil (a pork shoulder). We always have so much leftover, so I save it and make pulled pork sandwiches. After shredding the meat I just toss it with some sauce, throw it in a frying pan on high heat quickly just to heat it evenly with the sauce, and then its done!

Nice. I might do this tonight then! Thanks!
  • DKaye09
    Options
    No problem! Hope it works out well for you. Just make sure you boil it long enough!!! Check on it periodically to see if its getting flaky.

I'm also thinking that letting it sit in boiling water for a while may remove some of the flavor you didnt like as well.
  • MoxyMollyKC
    Options
    hi-you can rinse the marinade off...then add the terriaki sauce but that will not give you an accurate calorie/fat/carb count...per serving since some of the sugar & fat would have /should have intergrated with the meat at this point...or you could rinse it off ...& add fresh squeezed lemon (minimum calories & basil) should give it a good flavour -helping to disperse the other marinade...saving the new marinade for another meat-or meal