To all the wives/mommy's out there...HELP!!

Options
124»

Replies

• icec32
    icec32 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sometimes other thing just have to wait. Cleaning house and laundry get put on the back burner. The days I break from working out I give the house a good scrub and get the laundry done. I work out 4 to five days a week the days I don't I take the kids to the park or go for a walk and take them with me. My husband does manual labor as well and yes he is tired too but if you need his help he should help. My hubby gets the kids a bath and ready for bed that's usually when i get my workouts in. Good Luck!
  • rychma
    rychma Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Here is how I manage...

I have 2 kids, a 6 yr old and an almost 8 yr old (who suffers from SPD, ASD, ADHD, asthma, and a million other things). I work a full time job, I go to school, I am training for a marathon, and my significant other works 2nd shift so he is not at home at night. That makes my schedule insane!

My 8 yr old thrives on routine, which has really helped me find a schedule and stick with it. We clean house on Sat or Sun morning, and spot clean during the week (dishes done after dinner, floors swept, etc). My kids have to pick up their rooms before bed. I run in the morning before I get the kids up (I can't do it at night, I get too wound up and can't fall asleep). The kids do homework while I start dinner. I try to plan meals that allow some time to bake, simmer, etc. While I am waiting for dinner to be done, I do a workout DVD that involves strength training. We eat, clean up and if it is nice, we try to get outside for a walk or baseball or something. This is MY time with the kids. Sometimes we color, play a game, play Kinect on Xbox, or watch TV or a movie. Once they are in bed, I spend time doing homework and then I head off to bed.

I fit in laundry in the morning. I will throw a load in after I get out of the shower, throw it in the dryer before I leave for work. When I get home, I will fold, or do it in the a.m. I start a load at least once a day so I can stay caught up.

I get a ton of meal ideas off of Pinterest, and I have a whole board devoted to "Skinny" recipes. I make a grocery list some time over the weekend. I will go Sat or Sun before my S.O. leaves for work, or he will go on Sunday night when he gets off work (store is open 24 hours). Our meals for the week are always planned. Breakfast is usually egg whites, oatmeal, Special K. I plan all my lunches. The kids eat lunch at school, and starting next week...at their summer program. Dinner is something that I enjoy making so I try to make dinner every night.

I keep quick snacks around the house (turkey slices, mini Clif bars, string cheese, fruit and veggies).

Some days are harder than others. Some days I am so exhausted by 8:30 that I crawl into bed. Some days I eat over my calories and some days, I just don't work out. It is ok to miss some stuff and not be perfect. Sometimes our house needs a good dusting, but honestly, who cares?

Feel free to add me and you can check out my food diary or just for some support.
  • kjones3535
    kjones3535 Posts: 139
    Options
    I try to exercise with my 2 year old. For example I take her for walks in the evening or for a bike ride (I had a seat installed on my bike for her). Anything we can do together makes it easier. I will admit that I do not keep the cleanest house. I just do the best I can and do all laundry and dishes on Sundays. Makes for a boring Sunday but that is the best I can do.
  • yelpat
    yelpat Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I'm far from a super Mom and it took me a long to realize that I had to make myself a priority. I used to keep an immaculate house and prepare really great meals. You have to figure out what's important in life, a healthy Mom or one that has a 'perfect' looking life. Put yourself first girl.
  • tonicandgin
    tonicandgin Posts: 175
    Options
    it is definitely hard to fit it all in, and sometimes i cant. I was exausting myself trying to be a 'supermom', now sometimes the laundry & cleaning gets pushed aside because my kids and me come first ....I currently get up at 4:30am to work out before work- i have to workout at home because i really dont have time to go to a gym and I plan all our meals on the weekend and then cook/prep/freeze for the week, for me if i didnt i would be making kraft dinner every night :)....sometimes i workout while the kids are eating their dinner, my kids are older (11 & 7)so that is easier for me. Also, the kids and I do wii together, usually the dance ones so we are all up moving....it is definitely hard to juggle it all-i wish you the best of luck!!!!!
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Prioritize. I work full time and am a single mom to an almost 2 year old little boy. My hands are super full. My super power is scheduling lol. I get off work and when it's nice i take him on a jog. That way we can spend time together but i can still get in some fitness time. I make meals that can be eaten throughout the week. I pick a day to grocery shop and have a list ready. And i try to make it so i only have to go every 2 weeks. Then after my little man goes to bed at about 8:30 i make time for my workout video (30DS) then i do my house chores such as laundry and dishes and cleaning up and shower. Then i read and go to bed. I find i can fit it all in if i want to. Some days i don't want to, so i don't, and i don't beat myself up!
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    it's figuring out the balance. I work full time, work out every day, and have 2 kids that I absolutely adore. The time I spend with them is good quality time, we go running, go to the park, go to the mountains, creating great memories and helping me be active and teaching them great habits. Sunday is our clean the house day. We all pitch in, get it done, and then we can play. I sat down one day and made a schedule of what happens each day...it has made life so much easier. It helps to have a good support system in your life as well. My hubby knows that if I'm not happy the whole world isn't happy, so he knows that my workouts are not negotiable. It's a tough juggling act, but one thing I've found since I've been working out is I have more energy and get much more done, and time doesn't seem to be an issue anymore. Good luck :)
  • rsqsquad05
    rsqsquad05 Posts: 125
    Options
    I work as an emergency dispatcher full time (stress..yea), I am married and have 4 children ages 5-15...I get it. It's HARD. The hardest part for me to realize was NOT TO FEEL GUILTY! I hate spending time away from my kids, I felt like a bad Mom. There were chores to be done, meals to cook, homework to do. You HAVE to make time for yourself. I do crossfit and it's normally 20-30 minute workout. with drive time I am gone approx 1.25 hours. and I do it 3 times per week. I am in better shape than ever and have more energy when I workout. My sex drive is better, I don't want to just sit on the couch and snuggle anymore, I want to jump on the trampoline and play ball in the front yard. I want to eat healthier because I damn sure don't wanna lose all the work I did in the gym AND I push myself to the max when I'm there because I know how precious my time is. My kids don't mind me being gone for 1.25 hours 3 times a week and I know I am being a good role model for them too. I also run obstacle course races a few times per year and they think that is super cool. I am doing a Color me Rad 5K with all of my kids in July and I am super proud that they are so excited. That is proof that Im doing the right thing for my family...and the Hubby likes it too ;) Anyway, let the laundry wait until tomorrow when your not at the gym!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Check out the Flylady at www.flylady.net

Fly stands for finally loving yourself. There are tons of ideas for setting up routines for yourself and your family that incorporate meals, de-cluttering, cleaning, exercise, and dedicated "me time". Lots of support for those of us who are perfectionists that end up being self-destructive and self-loathing when we "fail".

Hooray, I was coming here to post exactly the same thing! Flylady has great free advice that you can follow/adapt to fit any schedule.
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    What I love about you Mummas (and Dads) is the no excuses attitude you all display. Some days I am bemused and disheartened by the whinging and whineing on these boards. Parents are some of the busiest people on the planet and it is refreshing to see such positivity on this thread. Keep going, you are all awesome!!
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I prioritize. Kids first, then me. I do a lot of cooking during the weekend and have a lot of food pre-cooked to grab and go during the week. Instead of making a one-time meal, I make it so there is enough for at least two.

I get up early to walk and if not, then I usually take my kids with. There are times they are bored, but now they encourage me to get the walk in.

Feel free to add me as a friend here (that goes for anyone reading). Always good to have more friends who are going through the same thing.
  • Marie047
    Marie047 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I tend to agree with everything here. Priorities.

I am a full time working mum I have a 19 month old daughter, and I work a 37 hour week as well Mon-Fri.

We have a set routine Mon-Fri we make sure all our lunches are packed and ready the night before, and marinate anything we are having for dinner a few days before, we do a majority of our house work at the weekends, and the other need to do bits daily, ie washing up etc.

Because my partner goes to the gym we alternate days in the week and when one goes to the gym the other workouts at home and then when we are both at home after gym we do an insanity workout together. I go to the gym on a Saturday morning whilst my partner looks after our daughter, we take it in turns doing the shopping before we pick our daughter up on a Friday from Daycare.

To add on this we both have jobs that mean we have to travel from time to time so we have to adapt our routine. Its all managable you just need to understand what you want to achieve each week.
  • Giovannismom
    Giovannismom Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    wow... I'm amazed on how many responses I've gotten... thank you to each and one of you for taking the time to help out...

I want to report that this week has been going really good.... I've been walking every day at my lunch hour and managed to put together some what of a schedule for our dinners.... I plan on going grocery shopping on Sunday and cook all my meals for the week.... baby steps...

once again THANK YOU TO EVERYONE!!