Just Starting Out....A Few Questions :)

Options
What are some healthier alternatives to peanut butter that you all use?

Do any of you use protein powders for shakes and such? I want to lose weight and am watching calories. I am also doing cardio and strength training 5 days a week. What is a good option while doing these things?

Replies

• charisma103
    Options
    Peanut Butter is actually a healthy fat in moderation. Personally I would stay away from the 0 calorie PB (they are so fake), and the reduced fat versions. I feel like your taking all the goodness of that fats by using a reduced fat option, and btw usually they add sugar to replace the lost fats.

The type of fat peanuts have is actually healthy, but watch your portion sizes. Try to use 1 Tsp to 1 TBSP of PB instead of the full 2TBSP serving. Most PB's have 190-210 calories for a 2 TBSP serving. A Tsp serving will cost you between 30-35 calories, and sometimes this is enough to get a PB fix.

If you like PB sandwiches, I either use a light bread with 40-45 calories per slice (such as Sara Lee light bread) or I will use one piece of regular bread and top with 1/2 Serving of PB and a Sugar Free Jelly (sometimes I add slices of 1/2 banana). This is a good snack, and sastiates my PB craving.

There is a product out there called PB2 (has around 45 calories for a 2 TBSP serving), which is a powdered PB with most of the fat taken out. You just mix with water and it turns to a paste. I've used it in baking and for topping on pancakes, or in smoothies when i want the flavor of PB, but it's not my favorite.

Just remember, reducing fat does not necessarily mean a reduction in calories or that the option is healthy. Always check the food labels!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    You can get natural peanut butters from a variety of brands. Find one with a tiny ingredients list and you're good to go. I like JIF natural myself.

I'm an advocate of getting your protein from real food if you can. Those protein powders are often loaded with carbs too, and they're sometimes tough to dissolve - a powdery chunks milkshake isn't anywhere near as much fun as a juicy grilled chicken breast. :-)

That said, I do have a box of whey protein that I take a scoop of once in a while if my protein intake seems low for the day. It's alright with some almond milk.
  • adry20
    adry20 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is a good healthy fat and so is almond butter, if you want it a bit healthier simply opt for the ones with no added sugar or make your own by blending your choice of nuts with a little evoo (I use peanut oil to make peanut butter). I just bought some whey protein to take maybe once a day but you can get protein from your foods, nuts, avocados, eggs, meats and your greens (spinach, broccoli).
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I use Simply Jif as far as peanut butter goes.

I use protein powder when I'm too lazy or don't have enough time to meet my protein macro requirement by cooking something. My only reason for suggesting whole sources of protein over shakes is that I happen to feel fuller when I eat 25g worth of protein from chicken breast vs drinking 25g of protein from protein powder.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is a regular part of my diet. Just watch portion sizes. I use 1tbs instead of 2 in my sandwiches. Life would not be the same without peanut butter. It is probably my worst addiction. I was so glad to find out I did not have to give it up! =)
  • haheisick
    haheisick Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Switch from processed peanut butter to the natural kind - natural is always best! I have made peanut butter a "dessert" instead of a meal. I used to love PB sandwiches, but now I just stick a spoon in the jar and close the lid before I eat it! When you're not used to eating a ton of sugar anymore, PB tastes like a sweet treat!
  • josephinabonetto
    josephinabonetto Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I eat full fat crunchy peanut butter, I just monitor how much I use and log it.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Natural peanut butter. Get the kind without the hydrogenated oils and, sure it still has fat, but it's good fat and it's a nice little protein supplement too.
  • RenaeNae23
    Options
    I found Lotus brand Biscoff Spread...it taste like peanut butter but just a little sweeter and a hint of biscotti. Has 88 calories per tablespoon. I've used it on toast or just a spoonful as a sweet tooth fix. I love it. Its in the peanut butter isle. Has a red top. It has a little bit more sugar, but if you're looking for something with a lot less calories and fat, this is pretty good. Regular peanut butter does have good fats and proteins but depending on what you're looking at this could be a good alternative.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I would also point out...since you're just starting, get a food scale. Once you do that, try measuring out 2Tbs of peanut butter and see if it matches how many grams the label says it should.

Weigh the food when you can.