Weight loss...NOT!!!!

Options
I'm a bit frustrated and I don't know what I'm doing wrong! I have been following my calories for a week now (I'm relatively new) and I have had no results!! I am very disappointed. I realize that these things take time but I thought I would have something to show for actually trying. A week before I was drinking 4 pepsi's a day, eating what I want (including eating raw cookie dough out of the freezer and grazing on chips throughout the day), and generally being a lazy slug. This last week, I have walked many miles, watched my calories carefully and concentrated on eating whole grains and no processed foods. If you would have told me last week that after making such a drastic change in my lifestyle that I wouldn't have lost one measly pound I would have said you were lying. How do you keep from throwing in the towel? I'm sorry to be so whiney. :sad:

Replies

• Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    It takes more than a week to see results. Stick with it.
  • babbgirl1975
    babbgirl1975 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you have done everything you said don't worry or stress! Give it another week or two & I promise you'll see the change on the scale! Some people take longer than others for those changes to show! Make sure you are drinking lots of water as well!
  • Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Did you gain all your weight in a week? I doubt it...it takes time to gain AND time to lose. I've had to develop an extreme amount of patience on this journey!
  • skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Patience, Grasshopper! It definitely takes more than a week for you to see results. I would suggest taking your measurements now, and you will see progress there when you don't see it on the scale.

Also, make sure you are measuring/weighing your food now until you get a few weeks into this - just to make sure you see your correct portion size.

I've been doing this for close to a year and stuck on a plateau since March - I know the frustration. But be patient - it's a marathon.
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    On Biggest Loser they once said that a pound is worth 3,500 calories. That can be a whole week of diet and walking for one pound of weight loss! Just stick to it. If you can stick to good habits the first 30 days, you can do it for the long haul.
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Read labels, whole grains plastered infront of package doesn't always mean that. How are your portions? Some people log 1 can of progressor soup as one serving not realizing there are two servings to one can. How are your macros? What does MFP have you set at calories wise? one last question what is your weekly weight loss goal, sometimes the body works better losing a little at a time then gradually increasing than shock therapy. Before you change anything up give your current program a little more time. Also has your doctor checked your thyroid and a general physical to ensure nothing else is impeding your wieght loss?
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    It's going to be a good 12 weeks before this becomes habit, and you see visible change. Just don't give up! Your patience will be rewarded.
  • dotbell123
    dotbell123 Posts: 11
    Options
    I had that happen to me once. Joined WW with a coworker, she boozed through the week and cut calories the day before weigh in. I ate like a bird, did everything right and lost 2 OUNCES. So, we left the meeting and I went out and binged. Their program didn't work for me. It was the old Points system and it was insane trying to figure stuff out.

Now, I'm finally taking responsibility for all the crap I've shoved in my mouth for years. The way I look at it is simple. It took me more than a week to gain this weight, it'll take me more than a week to lose it. :laugh:

Concentrate on the good things. You've dumped the sugary soda habit and you're making positive changes.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    A pound a week is a good and healthy weight loss... congratulations on the pound lost! Go stare at a pound of butter and imagine it smeared on to your backside. It's gone! Well done :)
  • irishcanadianwoman
    Options
    Maybe you are doing nothing wrong! If you are eating well (and a little less than you need), and you are exercising a little more...your weight will change. If you graph it, change doesn't look like a straight line downward - it looks like steps of different sizes. Soooooo be calm and patient! It was 9 days before my scale registered a change. If you are developing healthy habits then you are having results. You are getting healthier!

The important results are how you feel, your health and how you look. Not a number on a scale! My MFP friends taught me about 'thermometer' clothes. Every week I try on an old favourite dress and a great pair of blue jeans. I use these to measure the changes in my body.

Keep calm and carry on!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It didn't take a week to gain, and won't take a week to lose.

I'm 47 (near your age) and I'm averaging about 1/4 to 1/2 a pound a week weight loss. I am eating very very clean and running 3-4 miles a day 3-4 times a week PLUS lifting weights. Do YOU need to all that? Probably not. Just know that as you age, losing weight takes more time, more patience and more determination than the old days. Don't let the "it's just math" crowd fool you. It's damned hard work at our age. BUT losing it now as we enter menopause will be easier than losing it after.

Best of luck! friend me if you want!
  • NancyJoMoon
    NancyJoMoon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Remember, not all weight loss shows up on the scale. Record your body measurements today and 4 weeks later take those measurements again. I'm sure you'll have results, just keep with it.
  • rcclcruiser
    rcclcruiser Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I feel exactly the same tonight! For 6 weeks I have been eating watermelon, strawberries, blueberries, bananas, salads, beans, tuna, and other healthy foods that I love, exercising a lot, and I've lost approx. 3 pounds (it keeps fluctuating). But when I go to the doctor and they do the lipid panel, everything looks great and I'm healthy. The scale only measures weight and nothing else. I hate the scale. "Scale, get out of my life, I don't care what you think, and you do not determine my self-worth!"
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Do you know how many calories you ate last week/this week? Everyone else has pointed out good things but I also want to point out that it doesn't matter what you eat so much as how much. If you didnt drink pepsi/chips but ate the same amount of calories in whole grains and fruit you won't lose weight.
  • airbender1971
    airbender1971 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's not easy...and yes frustrating.....sometimes I don't lose weight for a month...but than all at once I drop a couple...keep it up..your body is in shock.
  • Leimaro
    Leimaro Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me as you can see on my ticker. Hang in there! Your body is learning how to react to the changes as I see it. I was so frustrated that I turned the negative energy into determination. Remember 1-2lbs is considered appropriate for long term weight loss and lifestyle changes. That is the ultimate goal isn't it?
  • lilorphann
    lilorphann Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    “ Just because you don’t see results after a day or even a week, don’t give up. You may not see changes, but every smart choice you make is affecting you in ways you’d never imagine."
  • MNchick
    MNchick Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    We could give better feedback if you made your diary public.

Have you been drinking enough water?
  • tomakehermine
    Options
    i have been doing it for a few months and feel the same - the hard work will eventually pay off - it has to! c: stay strong.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself after 10 days...not an ounce.

Weighed myself a week later....lost 5 pounds.

It will happen.