Late Night Binger

Options
I usually do so great during the day! Eating wholesome foods, watching portions, and what not. Then after work, I do my workout (I'm doing the insanity program right now) and then I'm starving!! I'll have my 100 cal muscle milk or protein bar or whatever, but I'll still feel hungry, and then I'll eat whatever is convenient, usually junk & usually way too much! Any advice??

Replies

• victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try real food instead of the muscle milk? I'd be hungry if I was drinking milk shakes too.
  • noncentssue
    Options
    I no longer keep junk food in the house. If it is not there I wont eat it. If you are eating out I would recommend having them bring out a to go box and put half of the food in the box before you start and then do not take anything out of the box. Somethings I do to occupy me so that my brain gets the signal that I really am not still hungery is 1. Cut my food into small pieces and eat only one piece at a time. 2. Try to drink a full glass of water before meal.

I use to let myself get starving and then eat anything is sight. But I also usually caryy healthier snacks that I can munch on and not get to that point. I use healthy nut or nut and fruit individual packs. I recently was at a banquet that the speaker ran long before the meal was served..buffet style no less. I drank the water and tea at the table and munched on a raisen/nut mix. So I was no starving when I got to the buffet. Mentally only took half portions took my time eating and was quite satisfied. If I had not planned ahead I would have been starving and probably eaten twice as much as I needed and felt like a total failure the next day. I hope some of this might help.
    Keep up the good work.

Sue
  • Lilip0p
    Lilip0p Posts: 36
    Options
    No real advice, but this is totally me.

GREAT all day... once everyone is in bed and it is just me and my laptop - bring on the crap food.. in large volumes.

I just literally quit buying it. I am too lazy to go out late at night to get something, so after opening the fridge and cupboards 300 times I give up.
  • gardengir48
    Options
    I tend to get hungry about 8.30 or so.. more snacky then hungry so I usually go for a bowl of special k with 1 % milk or cream of wheat... 110 calories for special k plus milk or 120 calories for cream of wheat. Just depends on if I need something crunchy or not.
  • teranelizabeth5
    Options
    Fruit! Grapes or blueberries are great cause they are small and you can feel like you're eating more. Baby Carrots with NO DIP! Also, air popped popcorn...with NO BUTTER. I always want to munch on stuff at night...so I save 100 calories or so to have a little snack before bed. Works out great for me.
  • Amanda_Grace25
    Options
    Yeah I will definitely need to stock up on some healthier alternatives, so I don't eat junk on a whim. I live in a college dorm, so today I went down to the lobby and bought a pop tart sooo much sugar!! lol
  • fitandyoga
    fitandyoga Posts: 27
    Options
    After I workout I take a shower and go right to sleep so I don't binge. Try eating more healthier foods like yogurt, oatmeal, etc.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Are you staying within your calorie limits? If so, don't worry about it too much. I like to eat at night, so I just shifted my eating pattern that way. Less food in the morning, more at night. I'm happier eating this way.
  • cjpierce94
    cjpierce94 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think this is just human nature.
    Like animals, despite our complete industrialization, our bodies are still instinctive enough to eat excessively when food is around. Its like dogs, even though they are not hungry, their bodies don't know when the next time they eat will be.

Try eating more throughout the day.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    You should eat something after you work out anyway. Maybe something more filling.
    My protein shakes are really filling on there own, but I add oatmeal in the blender and I am full until dinner.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    If you think about it...are you really hungry, or just want to eat. I find I want something in the evenings I'm not really hungry, I just want.

I'm not usually hungry after I workout. I make myself eat something protein anyway.

I was the same way, eat good in control all day....and in the evenings I had a bowl of ice cream, or something stupid. It would blow my whole day!
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I'm a classic case of late night binging too. I do great all day long and then at 10pm, omg i need an extra dinner naaaaooooowwww.

So I think the best thing to do for this is have protein, veggies, and some fruit. Protein will keep you full and once you have the nutrients you crave, it should subside...at least in my experience. And if nothing else, just picture in the morning how you're going to feel about the binge from last night...physically, and mentally
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I do the same damn thing. I try and save calories so I can eat a late night snack. I'm up late, and I get hungry. Just try and eat something you won't regret after.,l
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    im the same, i tell myself i wont sleep unless i have supper. this is totally wrong of cors but i have low call crackers or rice cakes with marmite or veg low or fat free dips. my diary is open.