Anyone else working on couch to 5K?

Options
So, I started couch to 5K several weeks ago but had to restart after being sick, then a death in the family. 2 1/2 weeks went by, and I have started again. I am almost finished with week 2, and I am loving every minute of it!!! Was curious to know what other people thought of it, and hopefully, gain a few new friends in the process!! :bigsmile:

Replies

• tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm working on it too, and like you, had to restart due to illness and injuries. I just finished week 3. And while I'm enjoying it...not sure I love it, lol. I'm still struggling. How are you keeping track? Do you have an app on your phone? I have the app on my BB and it freezes up from time to time. I'll be walking, thinking it should be telling me to run, or running and thinking isn't it about freaking time to walk??? Then I look at my phone and it's paused or left the program! Anyone else?
  • lisawants2bskinny
    lisawants2bskinny Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I too have started c25k. I'm on week 2- day 1. I Love it!!!! It's hard to believe that after 5 weeks I could be running 30 minutes non stop. Tonight's max run was a minute and a half and I thought I was going to die. Ha ha ..... The only thing I was wondering.... I've been doing it every day. I read that it should be 3 times a week to allow resting, but I'm not as sore as I thought I was going to be. So I thought I would keep going until I felt sore and needed a rest. I would love for you to add me as a friend so we can keep in touch about each others progress. Also, do you run on the treadmill or outside? I wonder how different the 2 would be.
    Sorry to hear about your last couple of weeks, sounds like it's been rough. Hope your starting to feel better. :)
  • Tlbaugh
    Tlbaugh Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been wanting to do it but cant find a good one I like. I dont have a IPod or anything and one for my phone is stupid. I started a endurance interval training today though at my gym. It is kinda like couch to 5K and I really do like it!!
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Starting week 4 tonight :noway:
  • lisawants2bskinny
    lisawants2bskinny Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    How are you enjoying week 4? What is the max minutes of running at once? Treadmill or outside?
  • TheAshpie
    TheAshpie Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I love, love it! I'm on Week five Day two! It's getting really tough and I don't know how I'm going to tough through twenty minutes of straight jogging on day 3!
  • mommanurse33
    mommanurse33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm not brave enough to run outside yet. I keep track of my time on the treadmill.
  • Tashmayes
    Tashmayes Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I just started week 6. Loving it! I'm finding it easier as it goes on!
  • mommanurse33
    Options
    I too have started c25k. I'm on week 2- day 1. I Love it!!!! It's hard to believe that after 5 weeks I could be running 30 minutes non stop. Tonight's max run was a minute and a half and I thought I was going to die. Ha ha ..... The only thing I was wondering.... I've been doing it every day. I read that it should be 3 times a week to allow resting, but I'm not as sore as I thought I was going to be. So I thought I would keep going until I felt sore and needed a rest. I would love for you to add me as a friend so we can keep in touch about each others progress. Also, do you run on the treadmill or outside? I wonder how different the 2 would be.
    Sorry to hear about your last couple of weeks, sounds like it's been rough. Hope your starting to feel better. :)

Thanks! Sounds like I am just one day ahead of you! :)
  • mommanurse33
    Options
    I love, love it! I'm on Week five Day two! It's getting really tough and I don't know how I'm going to tough through twenty minutes of straight jogging on day 3!

You can do it!!!
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I completed it last September and I've been about fitness every since. It's an incredible program and I'm so glad I found it. Whether I'm running 2 miles or 10 miles, I owe it all to that program. I wish it was a person so that I could take it out to lunch and thank it! Finish the program, you won't regret.
  • RainyDayParade
    RainyDayParade Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Love this program! I am on week 7 day 3 and I finally feel like a real runner! 25 minutes of running actually feels good now; I will admit that the first time I had to run 20 minutes straight (I think it is week 5) it got pretty ugly towards the end there. I run my first 5K this weekend. If I can do it, you can too!
  • LauraFan78
    Options
    I've heard a lot about this... and I hate running, but I'd like to do try it because I know it's a good thing! :)

Is it easier to do it outside or on a treadmill? I would think treadmill, but I have easier access to outside.

I'm just getting back on track with things, so maybe I'll implement this in a couple weeks.

Keep up the great work everyone!!
  • ChassityGetsFit
    ChassityGetsFit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've started week 2 and I will honestly say I'm having a hard time! I don't always have the days to commit to it and then if too many days go by in between then of course it's harder. I think I might start over also and really try and commit to it. I would love to run a 5K with my husband when he gets back from overseas! :)
  • mommanurse33
    Options
    Love this program! I am on week 7 day 3 and I finally feel like a real runner! 25 minutes of running actually feels good now; I will admit that the first time I had to run 20 minutes straight (I think it is week 5) it got pretty ugly towards the end there. I run my first 5K this weekend. If I can do it, you can too!

Good luck on your 5K!!! Oh, and I love that your picture has Buzz Lightyear! My 5yr old is a huge fan. LOL
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    How are you enjoying week 4? What is the max minutes of running at once? Treadmill or outside?

Well I survived! Max 4minutes running, hahaha. I'm actually doing it on an elliptical, because by the time I get home from work it's freezing cold and getting dark already. I figure by the time winters over I will be able to run outside with no shame
  • NelehY
    NelehY Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I got up to week 4 and have had to trade it in for swimming instead.
    Problem being that I was evidently not doing enough stretching of my calf muscles before and after running.

Result - fine while running but afterwards my calf muscles (Gastrocnemius to be specific)
    would just painfully seize up after I had been sitting for a while.

Apparently the problem is that the muscle can grow too quickly for the surrounding area to adjust properly.
    It's not permanent and does sort itself out eventually.
    Solution is to do plenty of calf stretches and swimming is also recommended.

Hence my choice to try to do the 5k part in the pool!
    Good luck though guys!!
  • S6Kev
    S6Kev Posts: 16
    Options
    I downloaded the app yesterday and Im really looking forward to using it. I would like to ask about training in the weather though. Yes its June but this is England and the weather outside is really really awful at the moment, high winds and driving rain. I can handle freezing cold or boling hot weather but driving rain really is a struggle should I just man up or is there something else I could do within the comfort of my own home?

I have no treadmill or access to one and due to work commitments my training days are pretty set in stone so to lose one to the weather is not something I can easily get back.
  • S6Kev
    S6Kev Posts: 16
    Options
    Would also like to ask, I havent started using the app yet but I believe week 4 day 1 is about where I am at the moment, should I start here or from the beginning of the course and do the whole thing?
  • _Emu_
    _Emu_ Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    me! I'm starting week 3 today, I'm loving it so far:heart: never thought I could be a runner! but with this program I'm beginning to think I can!!