Pounds vs Kilos and mindset

Options
I've noticed a few posts lately by people who are worried because they've put on a pound or two. I live in Australia and here we measure in kilograms and it got me thinking about the difference in mindset between the two weight watching groups, those who measure in pounds and those who measure in kilograms.

If you've put on 1 or 2 pounds, that's not even a kilogram and in my opinion, a kilogram up or down fluctuation isn't anything until it becomes a regular thing. (1 pound = 0.45kgs. 2 pounds = 0.9kgs.) so when people gasp and say 'I've put on TWWWWOOO pounds', I wonder why they're so worried because I wouldn't have even noticed that.

Do you think your mindset to weight gain/loss is different because you measure in your localised weight measurement? If I weigh myself, I look at it in whole kgs and ignore the grams but if I measured in pounds, there'd be a daily fluctuation and I think I would worry too much.

Replies

• zanasush
    zanasush Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I live in Australia too and I have always measured in kilograms. You have made a very good point. I think it does impact on people' mind set around their progress.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Many seem to ignore the +/- 2 lbs daily variation in weight and are ignorant of concepts like accuracy and repeatability of measurement, so they expect a continuous decline of the measurement and anything else is a catastrophe.

Unit systems are interesting, in the UK we tend to use stones and lbs for body weight so you get "mini goals" like going below 12 stone (168 lbs) which isn't the same as going below 168 lbs or 78 kgs. Similar to price points in shops where things are 6.99 instead of 7.00 there's a psychological effect.

My scales read stones and whol lbs above x st 10 lbs and stones, lbs and tenths of a lb below x st 10 lbs and it certainly influences the way I think when i'm in the lower range. I use a phone app called Libra to do a weighted moving average weight and smooth it all out.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    If you've put on 1 or 2 pounds, that's not even a kilogram and in my opinion, a kilogram up or down fluctuation isn't anything until it becomes a regular thing. (1 pound = 0.45kgs. 2 pounds = 0.9kgs.) so when people gasp and say 'I've put on TWWWWOOO pounds', I wonder why they're so worried because I wouldn't have even noticed that.

But the reverse could be said too!

You lose 2 lbs in a week and feel good about yourself and motivated for the following week - but you might not even notice that!
  • amysteves
    amysteves Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's interesting that you say that, because I had a similar thought from the opposite perspective. I'm in the UK too but I've been measuring myself in just pounds to fit in with things on here and on most of the fitness/weight loss websites I look at. I occasionally check my weight in kilos too but I was thinking, I'm glad I haven't been using them as my main unit of measurement because it wouldn't seem like I'd lost as much. 21 pounds seems like a lot more than 9.5 kilos!
  • jamlastsforages
    Options
    We use kg as well in Singapore but on mfp I go with lbs. I don't really know why. Consider switching to kg back. My weight fluctuates between 1 kg and 2kg weekly. I'm not really concerned, though.
  • scinamon1
    scinamon1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I am UK, but had non-electric scales so kg were easier. Now I use electric ones and measure weight lost in lbs and weight left to lose in kg... A lot gone and a little left! The best of both worlds :laugh:
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I have lived in the UK and N, so I have had them both. I like seeing the weight loss in lbs, it looks more. ha! But I work with kgs. I get what you are talking about though.
  • ElleBee66
    ElleBee66 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My scales measures in all three - Kilos, Stones & pounds and pounds. I agree with the OP that it probably does make a difference to your attitude - but really its about educating yourself - people who get really upset about minor fluctuations definitely need to get a longer term view.

Personally I weigh every day because the fluctuations fascinate me - but that's just me - geek!

I also weigh in whatever measurement has the next most atainable goal - I have been in Stones and pounds this week because I only needed to lose a pound to get into the '14 stone something' bracket, which has been motivating me. I will probably go back to pounds now as I *only* have to lose 9 pounds to get under 200 which seems possible...

Each to their own I guess!
  • TinaHumphries
    TinaHumphries Posts: 130 Member
    Options

But the reverse could be said too!

You lose 2 lbs in a week and feel good about yourself and motivated for the following week - but you might not even notice that!

Very true.......
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    I used kg all my life, switched to pounds when joined this site, it's easier to lose them haha.
  • PinkOrangeYellow
    Options
    I mix it up...lbs ...Kg... however stones and lbs is the only units that instantly mean anything to me.

I'll stick to kg for a while...:smile:

Thanks for posting interesting topic :drinker:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    UK here and I've never used stones. I use kg's where possible, primarily because the freeweights I use are all in kg's and it helps give me perspective. Doctor uses kg's too.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I think that it is just a matter of perspective. Pounds is the most common way to measure body weight in the U S. So, that is what we are used to and know. A few pounds is not a big deal if you have a lot of pounds to lose, but it can be a big motivator for many of us to keep going.
    I can see where it would be difficult for others that use the metric system or some other system.
    I guess, no matter what you call it, it is a journey that has common goals for most of us, to become more healthy.
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm in NZ and sometimes say I've lost 38lbs instead of 17kg because it sounds WAY more impressive!! :bigsmile:
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I'm a fellow Aussie too, and I think measuring in kilos is a lot better...... Purely because of what you said..
    1 pound is not even 500 grams...
  • Sharmender
    Sharmender Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I look at the kilo's!! Lbs are not used in my country, and besides I dont worry that much about Kilos like you said :)
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I have my MFP settings on metric, because I always knew what I used to weigh in metric rather than imperial.

But I tend to interchange between metric and imperial on here, because many of my MFPeeps are in US/Canada/UK where they are more familiar with certain measurements.

When I started on MFP I was 113.8kg and I knew that was gross. 250lbs sounds bad too (but only for my height - it's a pretty normal weight for a Quarterback or beefy weightlifter) and to say I was nearly 18st is just freaky!!! :noway:

I've lost 28.6kg which is significant, but 63lbs sounds even more impressive, I must admit :bigsmile: as does 4½st :blushing:

I'm certainly a lot more proficient in switching between kg/lbs and stones now than I was 6 months ago :laugh:

But no, I don't freak out if my weight fluctuates a few lbs or kgs for that matter :happy:
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    In the UK and I am preferring KG these days. Base 10 and all that jazz is far easier to work with. I am getting pretty good at converting now though lol. The doctors use KG as mentioned.

When I am telling some friends and family (who tend to be older than me) I use pounds because its all they understand.
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I like lbs because they add up faster:love:
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have my MFP settings on metric, because I always knew what I used to weigh in metric rather than imperial.

But I tend to interchange between metric and imperial on here, because many of my MFPeeps are in US/Canada/UK where they are more familiar with certain measurements.

When I started on MFP I was 113.8kg and I knew that was gross. 250lbs sounds bad too (but only for my height - it's a pretty normal weight for a Quarterback or beefy weightlifter) and to say I was nearly 18st is just freaky!!! :noway:

I've lost 28.6kg which is significant, but 63lbs sounds even more impressive, I must admit :bigsmile: as does 4½st :blushing:

I'm certainly a lot more proficient in switching between kg/lbs and stones now than I was 6 months ago :laugh:

But no, I don't freak out if my weight fluctuates a few lbs or kgs for that matter :happy:

I'm very similar in that I'm a Pommie with a lot of Aussie and Saffa mates, so I always try and remember to post in lbs and Kgs to avoid confused looks.

I prefer to report weight loss in terms of lbs and any gains in terms of Kgs. Again it's a mind-trick but whatever works hey. :o)