Weighing food....your thoughts??

Options

Replies

• SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Weigh everything. Measuring cups are inaccurate.

I used a measuring cup for my cereal. Found out I could eat A LOT more than what fit into the 'cup' if I weighed it.

Another one is rice. Found out that 1/3 cup of rice was actually more like 2.5 servings when I actually weighed what was in the measuring cup.

Always weigh. It isn't accurate otherwise.
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Yep. Crucial to weigh everything imo.
  • kb_CG_wife
    kb_CG_wife Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Right now I only use measuring cups and spoons, but now that I'm reading all of these posts, I'm definately considering a scale now :)
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    yes, I do tend to weigh. Certainly breakfast cereal, my portion is a lot smaller now but still as filling.
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything, even my drinks lol
  • auntygill
    auntygill Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have to weigh everything as i know i would go over , we dont weigh in cups in the uk so its either grams or oz for me and my scales are always out ready , and i use the app on my android phone all the while. i love that app .

I soon found out that if i guesstimated on the Weightwatchers plan that i would be miles over , so i weigh everything , i even measure my wine out on a saturday at home.!!!! A bit anul i know but it helps me.:wink:
  • twinmom430
    twinmom430 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I weight everything, except veggies. I never realized how much I was over-estimating a servicing size and a few calories here or there really adds up.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    So recently I've purchased a kitchen scale from Walmart. ($20-it's a really good one). And now I'm eager to weigh EVERYTHING, hahah. :) Do you guys weigh your food as well? Or do you just guesstimate it?

I noticed several differences between calories when I weighed it and when I went by estimating. Ex: A gala apple, which livestrong, MFP, and caloriecount.com said was 55 calories for 1 small apple. But it was actually 80 calories(For 154 grams). I had thought it was less because it said "small apple", but when I weighed it, its weight was equal to that of an apple that was 80 calories! :) *epiphany*

Or...am I hopelessly confused? Insights, anyone?? :)

Thanks to all that respond!

The problem with natural products is that their calorie content is going to vary , so even when you weigh them, all you're getting is an approximation. Without analysing the apple, you do not know how much of its weightis water, how much fibre, how much fructose etc.

I think using a scale is good for many things and most of the time does produce greater accuracy in calorie calculation, but it cannot be 100% accurate.
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh things but it would probably help. Sometimes I see the calorie posts on different diaries and I know they are wrong so perhaps everyone could use a good scale to start off with.

Even though I don't weigh things I measure oil and liquids. When I started, as I had portion control issues, I measured the amounts in all of my glasses and the size of my flatware spoons so now its easy to spoon things out without measuring.
  • Bobbi_N
    Bobbi_N Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I just started my getting fit program and using this site on Wednesday. Yesterday, I decided I don't really want to try to guesstimate my portions for my diary entries and went to Wal-Mart and bought the same scale. I used it for dinner last night and I actually felt better about the logging I did with it, knowing it was as accurate as I could make it.
  • awisegirl84
    awisegirl84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I never weigh or count calories, I just eat foods low in calories and high in protein and fibre. For instance I had steak and vegetables. There was so many vegetables I had to use two plates, one for the meat and one for the veg.

I think if you eat rice and other grains, wheat products weighing is probably pretty relevant

I found your reply very interesting...What do you use MFP for if you don't count calories?
  • fergie2812
    fergie2812 Posts: 162
    Options
    hi
    I weigh everything
    I put my plate on the scale and add accordingly write it all down then log it when i've finished
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    The only way to do this is to measure accurately then you know what is going in! Some things you get to know over time but to start with guessing is way over.
  • PHS7
    PHS7 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything. To me, it's the best way to be accurate on portion control.
  • Anonymou5
    Anonymou5 Posts: 92
    Options
    I just use it to track my weight and measurements and to gain knowledge from other users.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I pretty much weigh everything as well with my digital food scale. I still use measuring cups and measuring spoons for some things, but things of bulk and odd shapes, a food scale is much easier. Even with dry goods, as others said it's a little eye-opening when you think you measure it right in a cup, but then put that cup on the scale (figure out grams or ounces) and sometimes you are over portion and other times you're under and get to eat a little more!

I'll admit, I've become a bit of a slave to my scale, but previously I had absolutely no idea what portion sizes looked like and I did lots of eye-balling thinking it was right. I mean really, a bowl of cereal isn't supposed to be heaping to the edge of the bowl? :laugh:
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I too weigh and measure everything. It's often surprising when I see what something weighs vs. what I thought it would weigh.
  • Evelyn2050
    Evelyn2050 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    apparently I should use my scale more ! :)
  • scottywor
    scottywor Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i weigh all my food, helps a ton, really opens your eyes!

I suggest have your normal portions on your plate, enter what your eating into MFP.

Then remove them each item and weigh them separately, and enter those results into MFP.

See what you end up with... Could be good (you get to eat more!!!) Or could be bad ---- You have to eat less, but hey that could also explain the plateau or the gain!

IMO - I would get a scale if i didnt have one. I pick up a digital one (MUST HAVE DIGITAL!!!!) on sale for like $10, and its great!