How to run faster

Options
JMCade
JMCade Posts: 389 Member
I've been running for about a year now. I'm thinking about working to pick up the pace now. I just googled this today and there are sooo many suggestions out there. Any experienced peeps want to tell me their best tips? I'd really appreciate it :)

Replies

• shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I want to return to this after tips come in, as I am curious as well :smile:
  • crusadermax
    Options
    I'm curious as well.. will keep an eye on this!
  • BarefootBrendan
    Options
    Can we get a baseline first? How far and how fast are you currently running?
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Well there are lots of ways

Firstly you need a certain level of fitness. So if you have been running for a while then you should be ok

Do interval runs, so, instead of doing a f5k run, go out and do a one mile timed run. Try and improve your time. Or do 8 400 metre sprints

Flexibility is important as well. Or go to a park that is sloped, and sprint DOWN HILL(roughly 18 to 20 degrees) and then jog back up, sprint back down.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    My best recommendation is to make a running plan on Runner's World Smartcoach. It's free online or there's also a free app for your smartphone. Pick a plan and stick to it. It should have you running three days a week. One slow and easy, one longer and for speed (it tells you paces and such) and one longer slow run on the weekend. I followed plans from this site for the last year and have gone from a 11:30 pace to a 9:30 pace. Also have gone from a 5k to a 25k and soon I'll follow a marathon plan.

When you start, it will ask you for your current stats (your mile time or 5k time), as well as what your plan is. Do you just want to run a faster 5k? Do you want to move up to a 10k or half marathon? How many weeks (the app goes up to 16 week plans, a little longer on the site) do you have to your goal and when will you start? Plug in the numbers and create a plan. It seriously works!!!! I ran 2 half marathons, one in Sept and one in April and I took 10 min off my time!!!! That's almost 1 min/mile!!!!!

Cross train on the non-running days. Use weight lifting if you can. It really helps!
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Can we get a baseline first? How far and how fast are you currently running?
    The longest run I have done so far is 9 miles. My best 5k race was 25:35 and best 10k race was 56:11. Typically when I am just running around home on my own it's about a 9 minute pace. I try to run about 5 days a week. Weekend are long distance and through the week shorter, like 1 1/2, 2, or 3 miles.
  • iaksa
    iaksa Posts: 1
    Options
    The things that worked for me
    - running more frequently and running longer distance (both increase your base fitness which does translate to improved speed over shorter distances)
    - as thebigcb said, intervals. The distance of your intervals will depend on what distance you are training for, but say for a 5k you would want to be doing 10*400 or 800 meter reps at a faster pace with say 1-2 mins rest in between and by rest I mean slower running - don't stop :smile:
    - Tempo runs, run shorter distances at comfortable hard pace. Train yourself to sustain higher intensity for the duration of a run
    - join a club or train with friends, learn from experienced people and a bit of friendly competition will push you that bit more in your training.

I've taken my 10k time down from 59mins 56 secs to 47:57 and half marathon from 2hrs 6 mins to 1:41:24 in a couple of years.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Also, i have no proof or expertise on this, but I think that I am much faster now than this time last year as I have increased the number/sets of burpees I do.

Maybe someone can tell me if this is true or not,
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    1. Keep a good positive attitude, and rather than thinking "am I pushing too hard?" think "wow, my body is capable of so many incredible things!"

2. Keep it fun & exciting. Plans out new places to run all the time. Explore. Find wooded paths. Don't get bored! Listen to fast music.

3. Do some shorter, harder runs than you're used to. Maybe add some track workouts (200s, 400s, 800s, miles).

4. Add a long run to your schedule. The body makes all sorts of incredible adaptations when running 90 minutes plus. And yes, you can walk all you need to to get to this time.

5. On any of your runs, add some "tempo" miles in, where you push harder for part of your run. (Warm up first, then after going hard, slow back down).

6. Add repeat hills to your workouts.

7. Work on your core & upper body also, they need to be strong too for running well.

8. Do some strides (8 - 10 x about 100 meters each) on grass, possibly barefoot, after a couple of your easier runs each week. Gets the legs used to a faster turnover.

9. Drink lots of water, and eat well.

Not knowing your current level, these are just some tips that can help anyone.
  • bethsanders86
    Options
    My best recommendation is to make a running plan on Runner's World Smartcoach. It's free online or there's also a free app for your smartphone. Pick a plan and stick to it. It should have you running three days a week. One slow and easy, one longer and for speed (it tells you paces and such) and one longer slow run on the weekend. I followed plans from this site for the last year and have gone from a 11:30 pace to a 9:30 pace. Also have gone from a 5k to a 25k and soon I'll follow a marathon plan.

When you start, it will ask you for your current stats (your mile time or 5k time), as well as what your plan is. Do you just want to run a faster 5k? Do you want to move up to a 10k or half marathon? How many weeks (the app goes up to 16 week plans, a little longer on the site) do you have to your goal and when will you start? Plug in the numbers and create a plan. It seriously works!!!! I ran 2 half marathons, one in Sept and one in April and I took 10 min off my time!!!! That's almost 1 min/mile!!!!!

Cross train on the non-running days. Use weight lifting if you can. It really helps!

Thanks for the info! I have been running for about five months and didn't know about this site. I appreciate it! I can't wait to check it out! Good luck on building speed!
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    i notice when i leap out the bushes on the running trail womens speed increases alot i think the flailing of there arms over there head and screaming draws more oxgen in , tell me where you live i might can help
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    i notice when i leap out the bushes on the running trail womens speed increases alot i think the flailing of there arms over there head and screaming draws more oxgen in , tell me where you live i might can help

lmao:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I drastically improved my 5K time over an 8 week period 30:33 to 26:00. This is what worked for me:

1) Run at least 3 times a week. One of those runs was interval training of 4-8 X 400 m as fast as I could go with 2 minute slow jog or walk in between. Check out Hal Higdon's training plans for improving speed - I used one of his plans.

2) General circuit training focusing on core and legs. I was doing Jillian Michaels' 6 week six pack 5 times a week during my training.

3) Or course, eating properly and enough (i.e. most of my exercise calories).

Good luck!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I like the addition of a tempo run to what you are doing.
    Pretty easy to make one or 2 of your shorter runs a tempo.
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    These are all great ideas, and I add one more suggestion based on my experience: five finger shoes. My running totally took off after a year of training almost exclusively in them. These are not for everyone, and some people do injure themselves wearing them, but you can transition slowly into wearing them to see if they would work for you.
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options

This is great! I'm definitely going to do this. Thanks!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Now that you have some serious and helpful responses...

Put one foot in front of the other a little faster than you were before. :laugh:
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    These are all great ideas, and I add one more suggestion based on my experience: five finger shoes. My running totally took off after a year of training almost exclusively in them. These are not for everyone, and some people do injure themselves wearing them, but you can transition slowly into wearing them to see if they would work for you.

The key issue that I've heard (I have had several friends convert) is to remember that your running body is in great shape, but the specific muscles to support the new stride you need to avoid injury on minimalist shoes are most certainly not, and are going to be subject to injury unless you start out really slowly (meaning - you need to build those muscles almost from the ground up). Do your "minimalist" running almost as gently as if you were coming off the couch for the first time.

The chain is only as strong as the weakest link, and your shoes have been doing the job you are now asking largely-unused muscles to do.

Most people I know who have converted are far happier with their new style. Most of the ones who were taken out by injury just slapped on a pair of 5-fingers and went for their usual multi-mile run and came limping home vowing that the shoes were the tools of Satan himself.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Sprints!!
    Pick a distance, warm up (half mile of so) then do 1/4mile sprint then 1/8 mile walk or slow jog. repeat till you cover your distance. then cool down jog. Or do it by time, sprit for 30 seconds jog for 60. or 60/120's. Or however you want to break it down.

Sprinting hills is good as well.

If you have a GPS watch on that gives you your pace. Figure out what you want your goal pace to be. Do the so the sprints above but do them at your goal pace or a little faster. over time changing the sprinting time/distance. 1/8 mile, 1.4, 1/2

These would be supplemented into your normal running schedule.

Also watch your running cadence, how often your feet hit the ground. Google running cadence and you'll get a lot of info on it.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Three things you can do.

1. Run more on your weekday runs. RIght now they are too short and probably too fast based on your current race times. Try to extend them out to 45 min to an hour at around a 10:00 - 10:30 pace. Do a long run of 90 to 120 min once a week.

2. Add one tempo run a week. warm up, run 20 to 30 min at a 8:39 to 9:02 pace and then cool down.

3. Add one day of interval trianing a week if you want at 1:50 to 1:54 per 400m or 3:44 to 3:55 per 800m. Right now though I think you might benefit more from just extending your weekday runs and adding one or possibly two tempo runs a week.

4. After 6 weeks race and get a new PR. Then recalculate your training paces at http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/calculator and continue training.