sugar

Options
seanorawe
seanorawe Posts: 137 Member
Im always going over my sugar because of the fruit I eat. Usually Apples and pears etc.

What fruit is low in sugar?

Replies

• Anonymou5
    Anonymou5 Posts: 92
    Options
    vegetables...
  • KrystleKiri
    KrystleKiri Posts: 135
    Options
    don't stress that too much. the sugar in fruits is very different from sugar you'd scoop into your coffee, or into a cookie recipe. I don't monitor my sugar anymore because it's rather worthless knowledge when all of your intake of it is coming from good things. continue to eat the fruits you want, and my advice is to just stop monitoring it... unless of course you have high sugar intake from less constructive foods.
  • Dipmom
    Dipmom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It wasn't that apple that put me here! :wink:
  • SHORTYSF
    SHORTYSF Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm pretty sure strawberries and any other berries are on the lower end of the sugar spectrum.... you really should look on a Glycemic Index if you are concerned. If u do a search, there is a guy named Mendoza who has a pretty comprehensive online index. Good Luck!
  • 1andylock
    1andylock Posts: 8
    Options
    I have diabetes and sugar is always a concern of mine.
    When you told you have diabetes you get a lot of help in the UK and I went to a class and we learned a lot about diet and sugars.
    Fruit is fine because the fibre you get from eating fruit is really good for you.
    It clear that eating just fruit is not good and eating too much is also not good but I would never worry about it.
    I eat apples, pears, strawberries, blueberries, peaches, nectarines, bananas daily and don't spick my blood sugars and don't cause my weight loss a problem. I do also eat lots of vegetables and sometimes i substitute a stick of celery or a carrot etc. for fruit if the snacking get to me.
    I was 108kg and now I am 88kg since 20 Feb this year. I am losing 1kg a week at the moment and have been told by the dieticians and diabetes people that I should get to 80 kg so my BMI is less than 25. So 8 kg to go and will definitely be eating fruit along with a good balance of other food also. A good balance is the key and exercise of course.
    I walk for 1 to 2 hours a day.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Im always going over my sugar because of the fruit I eat. Usually Apples and pears etc.

Don't worry about getting too much sugar from fruits. If you like apples and pears you should eat them b/c they have enormous health benefits. It's foods with added sugar that need to be minimized.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    It's foods with added sugar that need to be minimized.

This.

Don't cut out your fruit to make way for brownies and ice cream.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Peppers.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    the sugar in fruits is very different from sugar you'd scoop into your coffee
    I'm afraid it isn't. The sucrose you spoon into coffee is the same as the sucrose in an orange. etc etc.

We've all swallowed the marketing and brainwashing, so objective discussion is impossible.

If fruits were critical to us we would have died out millennia ago on account of them only being around about 2 months a year in many places.
  • KrystleKiri
    KrystleKiri Posts: 135
    Options
    the sugar in fruits is very different from sugar you'd scoop into your coffee
    I'm afraid it isn't. The sucrose you spoon into coffee is the same as the sucrose in an orange. etc etc.

We've all swallowed the marketing and brainwashing, so objective discussion is impossible.

If fruits were critical to us we would have died out millennia ago on account of them only being around about 2 months a year in many places.

hmm.. that's actually really interesting. I was always lead to believe that the sugars in fruits weren't as harmful to you as processed sugars..?

I'm not at all saying fruits are vital, not by a long shot. I'm just saying they're not going to hurt you.