Can't understand why

Options
Feeling hopeless. I hate that I can't just "get it"... How do people do it? wtf am I doing wrong?.. So disappointed in myself.
I have been trying everything from lowering cals to upping them to cardio and strength training. I still see no results and I am so deeply hurting right now because I feel like I am trying so hard but it's not good enough. I don't even want to be at work today I just want to curl up and cry. This suck so bad.

Replies

• DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Go to the Dr. And have them check your thyroid. Good luck and please don't give up.
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    you're not really saying too much...did you give each effort long enough? upping takes some time, lowering takes time. how often do you work out? the kind of foods hinder weight loss. what r u doin?
  • nlawing
    nlawing Posts: 36
    Options
    How long have you been on your weight loss mission?
  • KathyJSR
    KathyJSR Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Your tag says you joined in May - just last month, AND your profile sys you've lost 4 pounds. That's not nothing! Hang in there. Previous response suggested seeing physician - good idea. Hang in there; it takes time. Plateaus are common, but you will succeed in time.
  • wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    If you can give some more info that would be great :)
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    You can do it! And you already are...you just joined and have lost 4 lbs. That's actually very good. Are you logging every day? To me, that's always been the key. Hang in there and good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Each time you try something new have you changed only one thing and stuck with it for 3-4 weeks prior to making any other changes? I would suggest if you make a change do one at a time and stick with it for at least 3-4 weeks (preferably 4-6 weeks) before declaring it doesn't work and moving on to something else.
  • TinaHumphries
    TinaHumphries Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I was a lot happier when I stopped comparing myself to other people. Our weight loss journeys are all different and it does seem that some people lose it quicker and easier than others.

You have lose more since May than I have!
  • xxxMumof2xxx
    Options
    I agree, I have a Thyroid problem and when my levels aren't correct it is near impossible to loose weight. Get your levels checked and read the other signs:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001393/

If you do have a thyroid problem... don't panic, it doesn't really effect me :) and I have been aware and on Thyroxine for 13 years.
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I've been on mfp since march, you can see I've lost zip. I've been on a metabolism reset for 6 weeks now. Before that I was just gaining every week even though I felt like I was doing everything right. Give it time, atleast 6 weeks for each change. Be patient! You've lost 4 lbs, I've lost none, feel better now?
  • simplysassi
    simplysassi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I joined in April. Spent the entire month of May stuck in a plateau. I think that now I may have broken it but honestly, the ONLY thing that kept me going was that I was tracking my measurements and could see that those numbers were going down, resulting in better BMI and Body Fat. If you aren't measuring I would HIGHLY recommend doing so. Good luck !
  • Lissette_Brooks
    Lissette_Brooks Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I am just frustrated because I had originally thought i lost 10 lbs. I was shocked. But last week i put back on 4 lbs, and now this week i put on another 2 lbs. So really I didn't lose 10 lbs. I think I am definitely reading too much into how others lost weight and comparing myself isn't a good idea. I know its really only been a month and I am probably expecting too much from myself too soon. But I don't know if I'm making the right moves for my body and what it needs. I go to the gym usually 3 times a week. I was doing the 30 minute circuit at planet fitness and now i do those same machines but not in the circuit. I then do 30 minutes of cardio right after. Usually elliptical.. I eat right, or at least I think i do and I drink tons of water throughout the day. Not sure what else I can do to step it up. I have an office job so Im at a desk from 7 am till 4 pm. But like I said I usually go to the gym after work.
  • prayerseeker
    prayerseeker Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    you say you are drinking "tons" of water...are you drinking too much? Anything over 2 quarts per day (unless you are exercising a ton, is too much..I have been on a perpetual diet and a dietician finally told me some tricks...too much water can add weight too. Not eating enough calories makes your body resist. Put it in shock and do a day with nothing but fruits and veggies...lots of Green will make you lean and mean! Try it and let me know how you do.:flowerforyou:
  • Lissette_Brooks
    Options
    I'm honestly gonna keep giving it my all and try to have more patience. I'm kind of embarrassed to have been so quick to cry about not seeing big results. I will definitely try to give it more time. Thanks so much for the support and kind words everyone.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring your foods? Are you entering the nutritional information for foods or using from the database? For the entries listed as homemade did you add them or just took what';s there.

When we don't measure portions we usually eat/drink a lot more than what the portion is and therefore more than what you are counting. Could be a reason. I looked at your diary and saw a lot of double entries. Are you eating more than one serving and just enter them twice or is it a mistake? If it's a mistake some days you would be under for cals.

For everything I make at home I enter it as a recipe. The homemade entries in the tracker are easy to just click and add but you most likely didn't make something the same way someone else did.

Good luck
  • misschoy
    misschoy Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. You've only been doing it for a month, right? Weight loss is slooooow, remember you didn't put all this weight on overnight! I see that you are trying to lose 40something pounds... Last year I lost 30something pounds and it took most of those 12 months! It definitely didn't come off over a couple weeks. Just keep doing what you're doing and your hard work will start to show.
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    You need to give it time honey. It took me 3 months to lose 14lbs (I then gained, but that was through doing 30 day shred!).Just make sure you log everything you eat, try to keep within your calorie limit every day and keep up the exercise.

I agree with the person that said get your thyroid checked out. You just never know.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Too soon to tell . . . your diary looks good. You are expecting too much too soon. Stick with it!!
  • Lissette_Brooks
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring your foods? Are you entering the nutritional information for foods or using from the database? For the entries listed as homemade did you add them or just took what';s there.

When we don't measure portions we usually eat/drink a lot more than what the portion is and therefore more than what you are counting. Could be a reason. I looked at your diary and saw a lot of double entries. Are you eating more than one serving and just enter them twice or is it a mistake? If it's a mistake some days you would be under for cals.

For everything I make at home I enter it as a recipe. The homemade entries in the tracker are easy to just click and add but you most likely didn't make something the same way someone else did.

Good luck

I don't measure foods. I'm going after work today to buy a food scale. The doubles you see are because i"ll usually have more then one small grilled chicken wrap, or cup of salad, or rice cake, etc..
  • Lissette_Brooks
    Options
    I know now that its me expecting insane progress way too soon. I realize I need to be more patient. I really appreciate all the support from everyone. I was really beating myself up thinking I must not be working hard enough. I know everyone's body is different and I hope that I can stop being quick to think it's not gonna work for me.