Vegans

Options

Replies

• LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I've been ovo-lacto vegetarian for around 20 yrs, recently I've stopped having milk (literally just this week) I made a blog post about the dairy industry and veal calves simply because it affected me so much http://lottiescreations.wordpress.com/2012/06/01/scientia-potentia-est-knowledge-is-power/

I'm now going to transition over to being full vegan, I only really need to cut out eggs and start checking on the labels of the food I do eat. I'm just going to be taking things in small baby steps until I'm there :smile:
  • sdai3
    sdai3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It's almost my 2 year vegan anniversary and I'd been vegetarian for 7 years before that
  • Dayquasar
    Dayquasar Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    99% plant based! Anyone can add me, just include a message that you saw me on here! Woohoo!
  • khagador
    khagador Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Yep. Feel free to add me! They vegan main group on here isn't very active, so I won't steer you in that direction.
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    my wife's a vegan so i'm a part-time vegan haha
  • SuperVegan8
    SuperVegan8 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    For those of you that 'want to be' im happy to accept friend requests and chat to you. I have my diary viewable for friends and i eat healthy and fresh meals 95% of the time.
  • ljma84
    ljma84 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and always happy to have more plant powered friends on here :)
  • caso2
    caso2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm newly vegan, living with all meat eaters!!! I'm still working on giving up the dairy and cheese, but i only have trouble with that when i eat out!! It would be so great if i could meet other vegans! Even when i'm at school i only know a few vegetarians! so add me :)
  • prophetessmom
    prophetessmom Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are easing our way to veganism. We find the food very tasty and were nearly vegetarian prior to the last couple of months. (We have a friend who raises red angus cattle on a free-range small country farm--a benefit of living in Maine), and we bought half a cow with my brother and sister--in-law last fall, so are trying not to be wasteful either. Our adult children are not vegetarian or vegan, so, since they are poor college students, they are getting a lot of the beef. We have a new farmer's market that is every Saturday, so we are buying from there as much as possible. And we just joined a CSA so will be getting weekly fresh organic veggies all summer long and into the fall. Very excited about embracing this lifestyle. Trying to eat well without supplements, but we are finding it hard without iron. So may have to supplement that. Also trying to eat whole foods (the less processed the better!), but sometimes forget and then feel awful! So it's a learning experience. Any tips are always welcome.

Oh, my other concern is that I am menopausal, so trying not to substitute everything with soy. Am concerned about genetically modified soy products and our gov'ts insistence on subsidizing food that has been modified, and then we have such a surplus that much goes to waste.

Deb
  • prophetessmom
    Options
    Hey all!! I have a question for you...I would like to move more towards a vegetarian or vegan diet. However, I have an issue that I am allergic to soy and while I eat a ton of salads and veggies I don't feel full and I am worried about my iron & protein levels. I cannot eat products that are made with soy (like veggie burgers, tofu) and was wondering of you had any recommendations for me. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have!

Seitan is a delicious food made from wheat gluten that packs a serious protein punch, so you could definitely try that. Black bean burgers, lentils, portobello mushrooms and soy-free protein powder such as hemp, gemma pea or brown rice would probably be beneficial to you!

I have a cookbook I just got from my health food store. I'll find out the name of it when I get home and post. It has recipes for non-soy substitutes, like homemade seitan, and black bean burgers. It's vegan, so it's got great stuff for beginners (like me!). We've been very happy with the stuff we've tried so far. Also have the Good Housekeeping vegan cookbook, but find that has a lot more soy than I'm comfortable with. (My son had allergies to soy and I think I'm sensitive to it, so don't want to over do, as well as being in menopause and am concerned with the soy/estrogen connection.)

Thank you!! I love black beans. That is one of my main meat replacements. I just get so frustrated with this allergy that I can't focus on trying to find what will work, I keep focusing on what I can't have. I really appreciate the advice.
  • healthyshelleym
    healthyshelleym Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm ovo-lacto vegetarian tho less lacto every day. I eat many vegan meals. Looking to connect with others for support during this journey and prehaps to swap recipes. :happy:
  • prophetessmom
    Options
    Hey all!! I have a question for you...I would like to move more towards a vegetarian or vegan diet. However, I have an issue that I am allergic to soy and while I eat a ton of salads and veggies I don't feel full and I am worried about my iron & protein levels. I cannot eat products that are made with soy (like veggie burgers, tofu) and was wondering of you had any recommendations for me. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have!

Seitan is a delicious food made from wheat gluten that packs a serious protein punch, so you could definitely try that. Black bean burgers, lentils, portobello mushrooms and soy-free protein powder such as hemp, gemma pea or brown rice would probably be beneficial to you!

I have a cookbook I just got from my health food store. I'll find out the name of it when I get home and post. It has recipes for non-soy substitutes, like homemade seitan, and black bean burgers. It's vegan, so it's got great stuff for beginners (like me!). We've been very happy with the stuff we've tried so far. Also have the Good Housekeeping vegan cookbook, but find that has a lot more soy than I'm comfortable with. (My son had allergies to soy and I think I'm sensitive to it, so don't want to over do, as well as being in menopause and am concerned with the soy/estrogen connection.)

Thank you!! I love black beans. That is one of my main meat replacements. I just get so frustrated with this allergy that I can't focus on trying to find what will work, I keep focusing on what I can't have. I really appreciate the advice.

The cookbook I got is called: "Quick-fix Vegan" by Robin Robertson. It's got some really good recipes, and kind of starts from the beginning. We also picked up "Simple Vegan." That's a Good Housekeeping publication. Both are good, but I'm finding the quick-cook better for newbies.
  • DebTownsend
    DebTownsend Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else vegan?

I'm vegan! I went vegan a little over a year ago and it has been great. I was shocked at how easy it was.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    The cookbook I got is called: "Quick-fix Vegan" by Robin Robertson. It's got some really good recipes, and kind of starts from the beginning. We also picked up "Simple Vegan." That's a Good Housekeeping publication. Both are good, but I'm finding the quick-cook better for newbies.

"The 4-Ingredient Vegan" is also a great, simple introduction to vegan cooking.
  • laurenbausch
    laurenbausch Posts: 146
    Options
    I am newly-vegan! I read "Eat To Live" by Dr. Fuhrman, and it all just clicked to me. I feel amazing. I only have had one minor slip up when I was out to dinner with friends I ordered broccoli and a huge salad, but the broccoli had a tiny bit of butter on it. That's been my only slip up... I may transition into Vegetarian diet after the 6 week plan. My husband ate a burger tonight, and he immediately felt gassy and sick after being meat free for 4 days. He also said it tasted metallic and different. I feel too good to eat meat. I don't want that gassy bloat! Read ETL! It's a good book!
  • RoseCathy
    RoseCathy Posts: 9
    Options
    I am vegan for about six months, was vegetarian for about 4 years. I still slip once in awhile. More and more, I do not even like the taste of the foods I used to crave. I feel so much better. I do not have cravings and I do not get drowsy in the afternoon. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else vegan?
    Yo
  • tinyjaz
    tinyjaz Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian for 17 yrs. :smile:
  • six34sigma
    Options
    This is going to sound a bit stupid but .... am Vegan when at home. However find it almost impossible when travelling and I travel about 50% of the time. Example ever tried to get something vegan in Poland, its possible but its a battle!
  • ImaVeryLuckyMan
    ImaVeryLuckyMan Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Also, The Post Punk Kitchen has a fabulous chickpea cutlet recipe that I'm 99% sure is soy free, and if not you can easily sub out the soy ingredients! They are delicious and savory and require a decent knife! :)

After having Seitan for the first time about 3 months ago It was a life experience. The realization of becoming more Vegan is within sight. I had a problem with giving up meat. But now, after making it myself several times, there's no end in sight.