Who's Had Success Eating Back Exercise Calories?

Options

Replies

• sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    I usually eat mine back, I find I'm really hungry if I don't. My body seems to tell me if I need it or not, so I just go with it!
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    So thrilled to have read this post as I too have been stuck for several months and now know what I need to do. Thank u
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    I have had success throughout my journey with eating back exercise calories...It varies upon the day and type of workout...I eat up to 80% of my calories back...with healthier foods is the key...You have to find what works for you...try eating a few and if you need more...slowly give it to your body....You may have a spike in weight some but it will balance and benefit your body!
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Been eating back at least half, usually more, since I started on MFP. Check my ticker - it's been working...

Your body like the fuel!
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I used to only eat back part of my exercise calories, before I had a HRM and was more sure of calories burned. I got one for Christmas, so since then I've been eating back all of them most days, or pretty close at least. I'm still consistently losing, and I feel much better, plus I don't feel deprived!
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    bump for info of each. Am curious. :)
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I always ate mine back while losing.

I netted around 1300 calories per day but actually ate about 1800. I did high intensity cardio 6x a week during that time. Now that I'm maintaining I still eat around 1800 per day but I don't do much cardio anymore, just weight lifting 3x a week.
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I really need to invest in a HRM as soon as the funds free up.
  • amnski
    amnski Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I eat!!! Glad I do because I love food and my body seems much happier than it ever was when I tried to limit (or essentially starve) myself :smile:
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Me! My exercise routine tends to involve tons of calorie burn in a relatively short period (i.e. I only exercise 2-3 times a week, but I burn about 1,000 calories each time). If I don't make up most of the exercise calories, I end up ravenously hungry and headachy. However, I do plan ahead and spread the extra calories over two days so that the amount I am eating doesn't fluctuate wildly.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah!! Eat them back every day and have lost a few pounds in the process.... :drinker: Gotta fuel your body if your doing those workouts..... Best of Luck...
  • wendyjo3
    wendyjo3 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I started eating almost all but maybe 100-200 back about three weeks ago, and I have continued losing 1-2 lbs per week! There is a group on here called "eat more, weigh less" which is based solely on this principal I think. Look into it!
  • monkeyriley
    monkeyriley Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Who's Had Success Eating Back Exercise Calories?

This Guy!
  • jamm2000
    jamm2000 Posts: 79
    Options
    This is a great question with very encouraging responses. I am usually afraid to eat my exercise calories, as it seems counter productive to me. I think I can relax a little more now and eat some of those calories if I really want / need to.
  • JamieDeBree
    JamieDeBree Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I always eat mine back...and I've been steadily losing 1-2 lbs per week. I'm not into the "starve yourself" thing - if I'm hungry, I eat. If I eat over my calorie allotment, I workout to bring it back into balance.

So far, so good! :-)
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    This IS very encouraging. I like eating (Who doesn't?) and I don't mind a slow (steady) loss, especially if it's something I will be able to maintain for the long haul. Some people here say they eat at very restricted calorie levels and that's the only way they can lose weight. I do see some with very large losses and wonder if I should be doing this too. I don't think it's something I can do (certainly not for the rest of my life). I hate being hungry and I'd rather exercise more.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I do, yet I don't. I spread my calories out for the week so that I am not starving on my rest day.
    I basically take my maintenance level and subtract about 300 from food and 300 from exercise.
    That gives me a deficit of about 3500 a week if you allow for error and I have been losing weight
    way faster than when I was eating less. I eat about 1800 a day but am going to up a little since I
    am adding P90X to my normal workout schedule.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I've been eating back a portion of mine since the beginning. Usually 50-75% unless I am not feeling too hungry. I tend to eat them back on the second day on those days.
  • BodyCombatGirl73
    BodyCombatGirl73 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I too eat most of mine back, except for maybe 100-200 calories, and I lost 11 pounds in the month of May! I love this part about tracking because I love to eat and my hubby is a great cook, so it allows me to enjoy life! It also encourages me to get my workouts in and if there is a day I can't get to one of my classes, I take the dog for some seriously brisk walks, ride my bike where I can, mow the lawn, etc.! Seems to be working so far!
  • melcowenfitness
    melcowenfitness Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm..... I've never eaten back my exercise calories but instead try to stick to a range of calories/day (1800-2100). Seems to work for me. I do, however, eat way more calories than I used to because I know my body needs it. When I was trying to work out and only consuming 1300 calories/day my energy levels and my weight loss suffered for it.

So, my question is this - are there any studies out there that show that eating back calories based on your exercise burn for that day is more beneficial than using something like the Harris Benedict equation that already accounts for your average daily burn from BMR as well as activity level?

Really curious to hear your opinions on this! :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!