Is Insanity Too Insane for Me Right Now?

rhindon
rhindon Posts: 35 Member
I am a female, age 44, about 210 pounds at 5'6" tall. I am working on Couch to 5-K and would like to do Insanity, but I'm not sure if I really can at this weight or should wait until I get into a little better shape before attempting it?

Any comments from those who have done Insanity that were heavier to start like me would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Replies

• Steph13RN
    Steph13RN Posts: 92 Member
    rhindon ... I've been thinking the same thing! Looks like an amazing program, just afraid me and "all" myself won't be able to handle it! :laugh: Hoping someone who has BTDT can help!!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Insanity is too "insane" for most people. They just don't know it, or they think they can modify the whole program to suit their fitness level.

Insanity employs a lot of training techniques that were designed for pro athletes looking to maintain their competition shape and meant to be practiced under the supervision of a professional with a medical professional at the ready. NOT your average joe in his or her house looking to get in shape from being out of shape. People who follow the program see results, yes, but at a much greater risk of severe injury than people following other programs, and you can bet most of them won't have knees left when they're older. The program has been heavily criticized by the American Council on Exercise for its heavy use of plyometrics without proper instruction on how to perform these exercises safely, and making you perform these exercises far more frequently than what is considered safe. Even pro athletes limit plyometrics training to twice a week due to how much stress it places on the central nervous system.

I strongly recommend that you instead try a program that does not revolve around heavy use of plyometrics. That particular training technique, which is the very core of Insanity, is NOT advised for people who are not aleady in "athletic" shape.

If you feel you are ready to take on a more advanced level exercise program than what you've been doing, I strongly urge you to do some research into the science behind exercise and the human body (it doesn't take too much) and put a program together for yourself. That's what i did and I'm seeing results that surpass those I saw when attempting programs such as P90X and Insanity without the risk to my health.
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    The main concept of Insanity is that you follow the trainer through the routine but you only do what you can do. As you progress, you'll be able to do more for longer, etc. Anyone can try it out, sure. Whether or not it is something you'll want to keep up with is up the the individual, just like any other workout.

As far as plyometrics, what I can tell you is the fitness experts and athletes I follow use plyos during almost every workout. Many use it in place of traditional cardio. If you decide to get Insanity, watch the DVD through once to see what you'll be doing and make sure you get the right form for the exercises you'll perform. Hey, even get a buddy or someone who has done it before to do it with you!

The trainer is a great and I found him fun to listen to. I also enjoyed his Hip Hop Abs dvd. Insanity is challenging, to say the least, but just be sensible about it and you should be fine.
  • Cwilbanks12105
    Cwilbanks12105 Posts: 99 Member
    I started Insanity around 250-255ish. Absolutely loved it and lost 33lbs doing it (didn't measure so no idea on inches). In the beginning there was lots of hitting the pause button, and I could barely sit down to pee I was so sore lol but after a week or two it got so much easier, and I think that's why I love Insanity so much because regardless of the number on the scale, I was really able to see and tell the difference in my fitness level. However, if you have any history of knee issues I probably wouldn't do it, and even if you don't make sure that you land all the jumps like you're supposed to because you can seriously mess your knees up if you don't.
  • Jtorres326
    Jtorres326 Posts: 157 Member
    I started insanity at 185 lbs at 5'1". I stopped and started several times because I burned out and/or injured myself. So I'm here to offer tips.
    1-MODIFY
    If you are not seriously conditioned, modify the program. The calendar that comes with the program has you doing this exercise 6 days a week. I have scoliosis, herniated discs and pain in my left knee. I can NOT do intense plyo work for six days a week. After 45 days on it I can now do 5 days a week. Start with 3 days a week.
    2-When you do the DVD, pace yourself. When I first started I went so hard in the warmup part of the workout, I puked and still had 30 minutes left. You are going to do 3 rounds of each circuit so pace yourself.
    3-Don't jump if you can't. I jump when my knee and back feels it can handle it. Make sure to power from down low using your legs, not your back to prevent injury
    4-TAKE RESTS WHEN YOU NEED TO. Don't try to keep up with the athletes on the dvd. Eventually you will perform the best you can perform
    5-Realize that this training dvd is a process. You are probably not going to be able to keep up with everyone or even move very quickly. That's okay. Your body will get stronger. MAKE SURE TO ALWAYS USE PROPER FORM> When form fails, rest.

Good luck! Insanity is a great program. I have lost 6 inches in month 1, 2 in my stomach, 2 in my hips, 1 in each thigh.
  • zombiefarmboy
    zombiefarmboy Posts: 221 Member
    I'll tell you what, I wasn't in that bad of shape when I started doing Insanity in the first place and it's giving me a run for my money! My wife is having a bit of a time with it, too. That being said, I'm not telling you not to try it!
  • ipock
    ipock Posts: 33 Member
    Insanity is difficult, even for trained athletes. I've never been able to get through a full two months of doing it. It's definitely great for you, but it's easy to get so tired doing it that you have to take breaks for significant portions of the video. Personally, I think it gets monotonous to do every day after a while. I do think that it's a great thing to have in the house. At this point, I do an insanity video here and there when I feel like having that kind of a challenge, but am enjoying a completely different exercise routine (running and lifting weights) much more than the videos.
  • rhindon
    Great feedback here; I really appreciate it. I think I will stick to my Couch to 5-K and try something else for the in between days. The question now is what?
  • 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    I think anyone can "try" Insanity, but there is a clear warning in the beginning of each DVD that this workout is not for everyone. People risk injury if it's too much too soon. If you know someone who is willing to let you borrow it, that's the route I'd go to make sure it's right for you.

I have also tried Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. Now that is a great program that builds you up. It starts a little less intense and works it's way up to very intense and you can go at your own pace. I HIGHLY recommend that one.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    I have also tried Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. Now that is a great program that builds you up. It starts a little less intense and works it's way up to very intense and you can go at your own pace. I HIGHLY recommend that one.

I had been thinking of trying the P90X (a friend is goingto let me borrow his). But I wanted to make sure I was better prepared for it, so I have started with Jillian Michaels 30DS, once I am done with that I will give P90X a shot.
  • First post :) I am currently on the first week of Insanity and I'm 5'4 140lbs. I must say it's kicking my *kitten*, BUT if I can't do something I modify to fit what I can do at that moment and I take more breaks. It's a tough gig, but I am enjoying it. I also do my own yoga and run, I can't like other PP's said, do the same thing over and over again.
  • sonniedee
    sonniedee Posts: 26
    I would also recomment 30 Day Shred. It's a great starter program that will prepare you to work up to more intense workouts. Plus, it's short and effective! :love:
  • ndnmomma
    ndnmomma Posts: 466 Member
    Insanity is just as the name implies, it is a very intense workout, and I considered myself in not excellent shape, but decent. This workout makes me rethink my thoughts on that, one needs to be dedicated to seeing it through, but I'm not to sure its a beginner program. If you decide to do it pace yourself, modify as much as you can, and do your best without injuries. Good luck to you in what ever you decide to do!
  • rhindon
    30 day shred sounds like it might be a better starting point. I'll have to see if any of my friends has it.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    30 Day Shred is a good program for people looking to tone and drop pounds with minimal effort and time investment (relatively speaking), but I feel that the style of training you do in 30DS does not aptly prepare you for moving on to something that is more based on real athletic training, like Insanity. My suggestion would be to go through a basic program at home using either bands or dumbbells to build strength and do HIIT sprinting for cardio.
  • ALISHAWILLIAMSON
    ALISHAWILLIAMSON Posts: 57 Member
    Great feedback here; I really appreciate it. I think I will stick to my Couch to 5-K and try something else for the in between days. The question now is what?

I really enjoy the home workouts. I have multiple 10 minute solution DVDs. Each targets a major muscle group and has five ten minute routines that you can mix and match. My favorite is the AB's DVD. I also like Leslie Sansone! I don't like doing the same workouts over and over, so I buy individual DVDs and create my own workouts. Have fun with it:laugh:
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Have a look at Jillian Michaels Body Revolution or her 30 Day Slum Down

It's a rotation suposedly created by Jillian ( although I cant find the original source). It consists of the 30DS, No More Trouble Zones, and Burn Fat/Boost Metabolism. 

Here is what the program looks like

DAY 1 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 2 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 3 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 4 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 5 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM
    DAY 6 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 7 - OFF!
    DAY 8 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1
    DAY 9 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
    DAY 10 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES

DAY 11 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
    DAY 12 - BANISH FAST, BOOST METABOLISM
    DAY 13 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 14 - OFF!
    DAY 15 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1 & QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 16 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
    DAY 17 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 18 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 1 & 2
    DAY 19 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 20 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM

DAY 21 - OFF!
    DAY 22 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2 & 1
    DAY 23 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 24 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM
    DAY 25 - QUICK TROUBLE ZONES & 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2
    DAY 26 - OFF!
    DAY 27 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES & 30 DAY SHRED LEVEL 1
    DAY 28 - BANISH FAT, BOOST METABOLISM & QUICK TROUBLE ZONES
    DAY 29 - 30 DAY SHRED: LEVEL 2 AND THEN LEVEL 1
    DAY 30 - NO MORE TROUBLE ZONES 
  • I'm 234 an this is my third attempt at it if you want to do insanity you have to be committed or else you won't finish when I did it the second time I was doin really good an did it for two weeks an was down to 227 an started then at 230
  • SillySkittles
    SillySkittles Posts: 202 Member
    There was a lot of good advice given that I would echo.

I had been wanting to try it for a long time and jumped in with both feet. But because I wanted to know what I was getting in to, I watched the DVD the day before actually DOING the exercise. So I knew what to expect and what to realistically ask myself and my body to do. I started it at 199 and there were a LOT of things that I didn't do upon starting.

I took the trainer seriously when he said go slow, and ALWAYS watch your form. I think if you go into Insanity, or ANY workout in general with the priority that you are going to do as MUCH as you can with the BEST form you can and not just flailing around to say you're "doing" it, then that's all you can really ask yourself. And when you're honest with yourself in this way, you'll really have a proper starting off-point in which to evaluate yourself down the road if you continue the work out. For kicks, I didn't just shoot my feet out willy nilly and call it a kick. I watched what the trainer wanted me to do and I honestly did it the best way my body could do the move in the most perfect form that was asked of me. If I only got three kicks in the time allotted, then I was fine with that. I got three GOOD, proper, measurable kicks in. Four weeks in, if I'm doing 10 or 12 of these same kicks using the same proper form or even better form, it's because I'm finding myself stronger and to me, that is a legitimate improvement and results, not even taking measurements or weight-loss into consideration.

For other exercise moves that I still can't do, I try it out once, and if I find that my body is not ready to do it, I stop and I either jog on the spot or try another move that I know I can do in the time frame when everyone else on TV is doing whatever else, usually it's just jogging on the spot or high knees. Whatever keeps my heart rate going. I don't think the instructor can really fault me for just making sure that I'm still working. But with every workout and whatever it is he wants me to do, I try first and then evaluate second, and then honesty third. If something hurts, I try to ask myself if it hurts because that's not really something my body should be doing right now, or does it hurt because I'm out of shape and I just need to start getting my body used to doing this particular move. While I may substitute some moves with running or jogging on the spot, I still make it a point that with each workout, I see improvement in myself

Basically, it can be Insanity, it can be any workout really, but you won't be able to see how far you can get by not trying. So my advice would be to try whatever workout you REALLY think you'll like, that will keep you motivated to keep doing it and at the end of the day, that will keep you moving in a safe and proper way.

Hope that helps!
  • LadyVeng3ance
    LadyVeng3ance Posts: 236 Member
    Insanity is too "insane" for most people. They just don't know it, or they think they can modify the whole program to suit their fitness level.

Insanity employs a lot of training techniques that were designed for pro athletes looking to maintain their competition shape and meant to be practiced under the supervision of a professional with a medical professional at the ready. NOT your average joe in his or her house looking to get in shape from being out of shape. People who follow the program see results, yes, but at a much greater risk of severe injury than people following other programs, and you can bet most of them won't have knees left when they're older. The program has been heavily criticized by the American Council on Exercise for its heavy use of plyometrics without proper instruction on how to perform these exercises safely, and making you perform these exercises far more frequently than what is considered safe. Even pro athletes limit plyometrics training to twice a week due to how much stress it places on the central nervous system.

I strongly recommend that you instead try a program that does not revolve around heavy use of plyometrics. That particular training technique, which is the very core of Insanity, is NOT advised for people who are not aleady in "athletic" shape.

If you feel you are ready to take on a more advanced level exercise program than what you've been doing, I strongly urge you to do some research into the science behind exercise and the human body (it doesn't take too much) and put a program together for yourself. That's what i did and I'm seeing results that surpass those I saw when attempting programs such as P90X and Insanity without the risk to my health.

Whaaat?? You just scared me.. I started insanity today. I dont want to have knee problems :/
    Where does this say??