RUNNERS: come here!

Options

Replies

• Ging3rNinja08
    Ging3rNinja08 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been running for about a year and a half and despite having a fairly active lifestyle found running to be a whole different ball game fitness wise and struggled at 2.5km runs. Hardwork paid off and I ran my first race (Grim Original 8 mile) 4 months after and from then on have been hooked. I am ran a Marathon in April (not the London but my own training run) in preperation for a 50 mile Ultra in August.

Pacing wise my long runs usually average around 9:30 to 10:30 per mile but as I run trails this can vary widely. Speed work I ran a 5.11km loop in 23:36, so can average 07:30 on a good day
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I returned to running recently and am running around a 12 minute mile.

I have found, with my excess weight, that I have trouble sustaining my run so I have switched to interval running... Jeff Galloway is a huge proponent of it and I found an app that tells me when to run/walk.

Running straight through and doing the interval running still nets me at a 12 minute mile or therabouts.

I hope through continued dedication I'll be able to decrease my time, but for now if I'm out there doing it, at least I'm out there doing it.

As a good friend keeps reminding me... DLF > DNF >> DNS --- Dead Last Finish is greater than Did Not Finish is infinitely greater than Did Not Start
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    Thank you all for the honest responses. I finished Couch to 5k yesterday and I'm feeling better than I have in a long time. I'm still pretty slow, but I also know that I need to keep at it and also continuing to lose weight will help me out.

That's great!! :smile:

Really, at this point, don't worry about speed!! You will speed up as your body gets used to it. Right now, the important thing is to take it steady (don't push too far too soon) and try to enjoy it. With running, I think patience really is a virtue! :smile:
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Been running about 5 years now! one day just decided that I was going to run! lol: started by running 10 mins around my area! then expanded to running from home to my local gym, doing my workout and running back home again! didn't know what time/pace as I never clocked these!

Started seriously running about 3 years ago! i.e. long runs, so can do a 5K in 26/28 mins at 7.50/8:00 min mile pace, further runs i.e. 10k in around 49/52 mins pace around 9.40ish mark! again time wise not bothered as I have also not don't any competitive running, which is something I keep saying I'll do!!! I run because I love it! the feel after a run is undescribable to me! Don't get me wrong of course there are days that I don't want to do it, but I do push myself out that door, once the first 10/15 mins pass I get into my zone and it does make me feel better!

Go for it, enjoy!
  • willhare
    willhare Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I always ran to train for sports when I was younger, but it turned out that I had never truly learned how to run at a decent pace for longer distances. In that regards, I feel like I've only been running for about 2 years or so. Illogical? Kind of, but 2 miles used to be a nightmare. I could play soccer for hours, but a "simple" run seemed impossible. Over the last 2 years I finally built up the comfort and courage to run my first half marathon after doing a couple of 5k's. Distance runs are still hard on my body, obviously, but I've learned to really enjoy it…especially when running through the city. It keeps my runs interesting with so much to take in and ways to vary my route!

My pace for the half was just under 8:00/mile, but for a 5k was just over 7:00/mile. Both seem pretty quick, but I can tell you that at 30-40 lbs heavier, my pace was much, much slower for shorter distances. It's amazing how your speed increases with each lb lost…
  • TipMcE
    TipMcE Posts: 158
    Options
    I just started running a couple of weeks ago. I used to run in high school, cross country and track. After doing the elliptical forever, I was surprised at how much my joints hurt when I started running. I've worked up to a 1o minute mile and the joints don't hurt much anymore, but all i can manage is a mile!!! I walk another mile or so on top of the run and hope to add distance little by little. I huff and puff a lot but I do enjoy it as it gives me a chance to zone out and clear my head. everyone's posts are really interesting to read, so thanks for sharing :)
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    I was never a runner.. Back in school days I loathed PE when we had to do laps or any sprints. My ankles would role or give out and I would easily tire out.

As of about a month ago I decided to work on this... Some 20 + years later. Lol.
    Ive always kinda did interval sprints on the treadmill but never went for more than say 3 min at a time. .. So as of lately I have worked my way up to pushing myself to at least complete one mile. Started at 12/min miles.. And after a few weeks now at 10.30min/ mile. This is still my max distance per stretch..But for never having run a mile in my life... It's a win in my book. Still working on it and will continue to do so.

Oh and the moment I begin my stride about 30 seconds into it I am thinking ..wtf this sucks..but I press on.. Looking forward to beating my pace or length..even better both..each week.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I'm running about a 12 minute mile. I have been running since January 2011. I just ran my first half marathon in May.

It does get easier, but I still usually want to quit in the first 10 minutes.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    How fast is your average mile? How long have you been running?

Also-- I've found that I really DO like to run... I'm finishing couch to 5k right now, and I find that in the first 8-10 min of running, I constantly think about quitting and starting again tomorrow... lol (I haven't quit.)--- do these feelings ever go away? Does it get easier?

I average about a 9 minute mile.
    I've been running since 1984.
    The first few minutes of a run are always the hardest. It definitely gets easier! Good luck!
  • sadielane
    sadielane Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I started C25K last summer with a dismal 13.5 minute pace. When I finished and ran my first 5K race, I managed a 10 minute pace which I couldn’t have maintained for much longer! In December I ran a 12K at an 11 minute pace. I sort of stopped running after that because it was the holidays (and insert other lame @ss excuses here). This week I restarted C25K. I’m finding it is not as bad as the first time I started, but I am so disappointed in myself because I was doing so well before. My sister has convinced me to run a half-marathon in November, so I’m back on the wagon. I never achieved that runner’s high, but I always felt I had accomplished something and that was a great feeling!
  • SunburNDA
    SunburNDA Posts: 23
    Options
    Also if you run on a treadmill what I do is put a towel over the time and speed and miles it helps for me to not stop when ive reached a certain number whether it be time miles calories burned. I just go until im tired and then I know Im done!
    That's a good idea, I'll have to give that a try.

I have been running since January of this year. My average is somewhere between 9 and 10 minutes and the most I've ever run is about 2.25 miles. Working my way up to running a 5k.
  • DavidKBrewer
    Options
    I did the C25K last year, ran a couple races (slowly) then took the winter off. I've since lost over 40 lbs and re-did part of C25K back in March. I'm now running 5 miles 3 times a week at about a 10 min mile pace. At my last 5K (on Memorial Day) I hit a 9 minute mile pace.

I have a 5K tomorrow morning so I hope to do better.

I've encountered the same thing as others have stated. I usually feel alright for my first quarter mile, then I get stiff and uncomfortable until a mile or 2 in and then I get into a rhythm. It's definitely gotten easier to run after this time, but it's never exactly "easy". Some runs are better than others. I might run 5 miles one day fine then need to stop after 3 the next time.

My plan is just to take it slow if I'm not feeling it on certain days. Going slow is better than not going at all. Also, I mix up my music mix constantly. I cannot run without my music (I hate hearing myself breathe, or more accurately, wheeze).
  • mathlete99
    mathlete99 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I read through this post because I now know that I am normal, haha! I thought I was the only one who struggled through that awful first mile :) I did C25K October through December and have run four 5Ks this year. My pace is 11-12 minutes per mile. Slow and steady, that's me. Starting to up my distance a bit. Signed my husband and myself up for a 5 mile trail run for our anniversary in two weeks. He was shocked I would do something like that and is very excited to run together. Loving this lifestyle I tell you!
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My pace depends on how I'm feeling and how far I'm going, as well as my route (some of my runs are trail runs). But I go anywhere from 8:30 to 10:00 per mile. I run almost every weekday and my runs vary between 1.5 miles (practice for my fitness assessment) and 4.25 miles.
  • redtim22
    redtim22 Posts: 144
    Options
    This makes me feel so much better. I started C25K and got to about week 6 or so and then just started running and not really using the app. I made it 2 miles on my best run ever. Now I struggle with a mile. Guess its nice to know that the first mile is hard for most everyone. Maybe I just need to push past that and keep going! The humidity is really proving to be hard on me too. My first 5K is in 2 weeks and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to run the whole thing like I had hoped (unless some miracle happens between now and then!).
    You can do anything you set your mind to also the people there will inspire you to keep going by seeing them still going
  • dbevisjr
    dbevisjr Posts: 183
    Options
    I did the C25K from March through April this year. Before starting I couldn't run to the end of the block. I have had one run with a sub 11 minute pace for 3 miles but the norm for me is 11:30 plus or minus 10 seconds. Now I'm just doing heart rate target zone training trying to stay in zone 2 but will start pushing for better times in mid july in preparation for my next 5k in September.

Sometimes I think I want to stop but then I think about why I am doing this and how many years I put it off until "tomorrow". That was a hard chain to break and I don't want to do that again. Can't say if the feelings go away or if it gets easier since I am so new to it.

I will suggest that if you have been doing the time option on the C25K, in weeks 7-9 you really should do the distance option. The time of 30 minutes for the final week assume that you are running a sub 10 minute pace in order to reach 3.1 miles. That little oversight kicked my buddies butt. He bonked with less than a half k to go. He had been running for 30 minutes but only reaching around 2.5 miles. His body didn't react well to that last .6 mile on race day since he hadn't gone that far yet and he is also new to running.
  • jagfan
    jagfan Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    This post has helped me some, also...I started running several years ago to prepare for a huge 15k we have locally. Nevery in a million years did I think I could do this distance. My goal was to do it in under 2 hours, being new to running & everything, and I had also injured myself during training. I finished at 2 hours 2 minutes. I set out the following year preparing and not allowing myself to take time off...I got sick a couple of days before the race and fnished in 2 hours 5 minutes, major bummer!

I am extremely slow, and am finding that I am not improving...I have tried different training schedules from magazine and on line. I am keeping myself to about 4 miles during the week, and 6 on the weekend. I don't run many times because I enjoy doing other types of workouts.

I know that much of this is mental, but my heart rate does shoot up over 170 and I feel like I have to slow down.

I never thought about trying the Couch to 5k because I had been running for so long...but after reading the results on here, I think it would be a great idea!

I struggle through about the first mile (maybe a little less) as well. I feel tight, my mind is looking forward to quitting. Then, like others said, I settle in and go for the long haul!

Happy running, everybody...Like I tell others...it may take me a while, but I am out there! I love being outside!:love:
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    It depends on the distance for the most part and what I"m running for. I usually run my training runs 8:30-9:30 a mile for 3-7 miles, for anything longer than that I get a bit slower...up to 10-11 min a mile for the longest. My last 5K race was 22:25 and my last 5 mile race was around 40:35, less than 8 minutes a mile. My one half marathon was about 8:57 a mile, my marathon averaged about 12 a mile because I hit a wall between mile 18-26 and had a lot of cramps.
    I've been running about 18 months and I have seen a lot of improvement in that time, so has my wife who started a couple of weeks after me.
  • slm0257
    slm0257 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This makes me feel so much better. I started C25K and got to about week 6 or so and then just started running and not really using the app. I made it 2 miles on my best run ever. Now I struggle with a mile. Guess its nice to know that the first mile is hard for most everyone. Maybe I just need to push past that and keep going! The humidity is really proving to be hard on me too. My first 5K is in 2 weeks and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to run the whole thing like I had hoped (unless some miracle happens between now and then!).
    You can do anything you set your mind to also the people there will inspire you to keep going by seeing them still going

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm doing the Color Run in 2 weeks so I'm hopeful that with the excitement of it all, I will do better than I think. We shall see!
  • mdink620
    mdink620 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm doing the Color Run in 2 weeks so I'm hopeful that with the excitement of it all, I will do better than I think. We shall see!
    I am doing the color run in KC on the 30th! So excited! Have you ever done it before?

I have been running 3 years, tomorrow I am doing the first 5K I ever did for the third year in a row :) in my experience I always feel better after I have my first mile in, I usually spend the first mile trying to remember why I am doing this and then enjoying the rest of the run, doesn't matter if I am running 2 or 12, the first one is always the killer. I usually run around a 10 minute mile pace.

Keep at it, I have met so many people and made so many friends through running!!