Quitting Diet Coke

Options

Replies

• tuppance
    tuppance Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have given up diet coke manytimes in the past - the headache and grumpyness are killers

I am addicted once again but don't see it as a problem (mostly one can a day) I feel like I can handle losing weight as long as I have my DC. Once I have reached my goals and maintained for a while then I will deal with the diet coke issue

Good luck to you and to your husband too :)
  • Cjklast1
    Cjklast1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The key is substitution. Tried Diet green tea or flavored water, both have zero calories and count toward the eight glasses of water we should be drinking each day.:smile::wink:
  • bluegalcc
    bluegalcc Posts: 9
    Options
    Diet Coke or any soda always has triggered my wanting other bad foods too. But it was very hard to quit. Took me several times, but I finally was able to switch to water and flavored water like Crystal Light Lemonade. I simply could not lose while drinking soda pop.
  • lollienluke
    lollienluke Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    at a weight loss group i go to at work they gave up this to help stop people from drinking coke

"Have you ever wondered why coke comes with a smile? because it gets you high. They removed the cocaine almost 100 years ago. Why? Because it was redundant.

In the first 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system (100% of your recommended daily intake). you don't immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phoshoric acid cuts the flavour, allowing you to keep it down.

20 Minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing am insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat

40 minutes: caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, as a response, your liver dumps more sugar into you bloodstream. The adesine receptors in your brain are now blocked, preventing drowsiness

45 minutes: your body ups your doamine production, stimulating the pleasure centres of your brian. This is physically the same way heroin work.

60 minutes > The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc to your lower intestine, proving a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artifical sweetners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium

60 mins > The caffeine's diuretic properties come into play. It is now assured that you'll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was headed for your bones as well as sodium, electrolytes and water

> 60 mins: As the rave inside you dies down, you'll start to have a sugar crash. you may become irritable and/or sluggish. You've also now, literally, pissed (sorry) away all the water that was in the coke. but not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like hydrating your system or building strong bone and teeth. This will al be followed by a caffeine crash in the next few hours (As little as 2 if your a smoker)

Sorry it goes on a bit but thought it was a real eye opener. When i gave up caffeine i went cold turket, think its the only way. Hopefully you can beat it and you will feel much better for it x x
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I was thiniing of quitting diet coke too. Just going to have to drink my JD neat from now on.
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    I ditched the Coke Zero....(crack zero, I loved that stuff) ...just water for me now.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    And it sucks.

Day 4 no diet coke....after months of 50 or so oz a day. Going cold turkey this time because I've tried just stepping down the amounts in the past and never worked.

What do they put in this stuff that is so addicting!? I've never had a cigarette and don't drink a lot so diet coke has been my drug of choice I guess.

My husband is ready for this withdrawal phase to be over as well. I've been a grumpy little witch this week.

Keep on keepin' on.................
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    It's been over a year since I quit Diet Coke...and it was my drug!! I had a headache that was a monster for about a week...and then a week of being a witch...and that's being nice to myself........

Now, I don't miss it at all!!!

Side note: I thought I would try it after I got my calories under control about 6 months into it....I would drink one when I woke up all the time...so I thought I would have 8 ounces with breakfast....and it tasted so bad....i spit it out...and have never looked back!!!!
  • WILSONBA
    WILSONBA Posts: 197
    Options
    i can only have a small portion every now and then. i shouldn't even do that because sometimes even a little bit makes me sick and constantly hungry. good luck with the withdraws, this to shall pass as they say!
  • McMeggers
    McMeggers Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i was a horrible horrible diet coke addict and i havent had diet coke in almost 6 months! infact i havent had any soda at all. people are kind of arguing back and forth over the ingredients in it but lets get serious , nothing in it is good for you regardless of the calorie content. i have 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning and then after that its all water, so stay strong and keep chugging the water youre body will thank you
  • tigerdactyl
    tigerdactyl Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I quit a few months ago, so glad that I did. I drink so much more water now, my body is loving it. There are some non-aspartame diet sodas out there sweetened with stevia, I have one of those now and then when I'm craving the carbonation. Club soda with juice is another good way to go.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Haven't had diet soda/soda in almost 5 months now!!!!....and I don't miss it at all!!!! :)
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    After I quit drinking cokes I would have major headaches from the caffine withdrawls, so I drink tea and coffee every now and then to get some caffine to keep the headaches away.
  • josephinabonetto
    josephinabonetto Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I am looking at doing a gradual reduction of Diet Coke and coffee, and I know it's going to be bad.

I already ordered bottles of mineral water to take into my office next week (and keep refilling from the tap throughout the day) and have switched to peppermint tea (caffeine free) in the afternoons. I just haven't fully transitioned to cold turkey yet.
  • dcsump2
    dcsump2 Posts: 73
    Options
    I was thiniing of quitting diet coke too. Just going to have to drink my JD neat from now on.

I did just that RoadDog. Now my pleasure is straight Gentleman Jack over ice.
  • Starzy696
    Starzy696 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I did the same...I quit drinking Diet Coke and soda in general. Replaced it with water and now, I hardly ever have soda. Not only do I feel better, but my dentist comment on how my teeth seem healthier! :)
  • Zumbagurl64
    Zumbagurl64 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I drink one can of caffeine free diet coke a day (w/lunch), thats all I care for.....I like it, gonna drink it. I don't think one can/day's gonna hurt me......it trips my trigger, what can I say....especially when I put it in the freezer and it gets slushy.... YUM!
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    What? No ice? :P
  • jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I stepped down from Coke to Coke Zero at the beginning of the year. Six weeks ago I stopped drinking the Zero. I thought I wanted one about two weeks ago, I popped open a can and could not even drink half of it. I drink water (usually with Mio) and milk. It was a good choice for me...
  • AmyM150
    AmyM150 Posts: 1
    Options
    I long subscribed to the "Aspartame is harmless" theory.

Late 2009 I started getting blisters on my face, then scalp, then mouth and throat. They were painful and embarrassing. I often had fevers from them, and could barely talk or swallow a lot of the time (which led to slurpees and ice cream). I was getting dizzy (vertigo) from blisters creating excess fluid in my ear drums. I couldn't drive because of it, and working was tough. I saw my doctor who gave me some prescriptions, and referred me to a dermatologist. After a few months of biopsies I was diagnosed with a very rare immune disorder called Becets. After being referred to a rheumatologist, they ruled out Becets and were considering Lupus. I was told to stay out of the sun and avoid stress. I was in so much pain I couldn't stand being touched, I had little bald spots because of scars, and my skin looked so awful I couldn't stand being out in public. My nose is still scarred and as soon as I get any sun on it, it turns bright red, as well as a large scarred area of my forehead.

I was told over the course of a year and a half by several doctors that it could not possibly be anything in my environment, it was in my blood.

When I started to eat healthier, soda was one of the last changes I made. I decided to replace diet coke with green tea or water. Within days my blisters began to clear up. I couldn't put my finger on what was fixing it at first, but started to pay close attention to when I got them. It was always after an evening out for dinner with friends (the only time I would allow myself diet coke). I thought it couldn't be possible, but experimented. I wouldn't drink it for three weeks, and then let myself have it once (doing nothing else differently) and I would get blisters again.

I still allow myself to have the occasional one on a night out, but I always deal with the consequences the next day. There is very little doubt that's the cause. I can have regular coke, I can have diet sodas made with Splenda, but nothing with Aspartame. Take it for what it is, my experience. The point of sharing my story isn't even to scare anyone, just to say people are affected by everything differently, and don't expect any one persons reaction or experience to be the same as yours. Take everything you hear with a grain of salt, and pay attention to your own body's signals. Find what makes sense for YOU!

Edit - typing this from my phone. Hopefully I caught all the little mistakes.