Runners: Shoe question

Options
I have been running half marathon distances for the last year. Just upping my mileage for the summer and a race in August. I have run in brooks ghosts since I began running 2 years ago and am still using the same type of socks. Current shoes have only 176 miles on them.

Question: I have all of the sudden begun developing a blister on my bunion (towards the bottom). After about 3 miles I get the hot spot sensation where every foot fall burns. This morning I have an actual blister. WTH? Does this warrant a trip to the running store or do you think after a couple more runs I can just get it to callus over. It would be pushing it for me to come up with $100 for a new pair of shoes and heartbreaking considering that these aren't close to dead mileage wise.

Replies

• Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I have been running half marathon distances for the last year. Just upping my mileage for the summer and a race in August. I have run in brooks ghosts since I began running 2 years ago and am still using the same type of socks. Current shoes have only 176 miles on them.

Question: I have all of the sudden begun developing a blister on my bunion (towards the bottom). After about 3 miles I get the hot spot sensation where every foot fall burns. This morning I have an actual blister. WTH? Does this warrant a trip to the running store or do you think after a couple more runs I can just get it to callus over. It would be pushing it for me to come up with $100 for a new pair of shoes and heartbreaking considering that these aren't close to dead mileage wise.
    [/quote

I would give it a couple of runs. Good luck!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

You don't want to just let that blister go w/o treating it. Blisters are caused by friction. If you want to try and treat it cheaply, consider wearing some very smooth socks liners inside your normal socks until the shoes become more broken in. Also you can try moleskin. I've never used moleskin in a running shoe, but it's awesome for blisters in boots.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    For me it was shoes. I had a pair of New Balance that I loved, but as I got better I found if I ran over 4 miles or so I would get a blister. I tried a few different kinds of socks but it didn't help. I got new shoes and have been fine ever since. I think they were just a little too wide for my feet around the toes. Try wearing two pairs of socks, that way your foot won't move around as much and the socks will rub against each other instead of your feet.
  • BrandiH2007
    BrandiH2007 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I would try tightening the laces a little if you can, they might be loosening up, or maybe just the laces are wearing out? it sounds like they start to loosen up some home. The thicker socks sounds like a good idea too.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Blisters can be your socks or shoes that don't fit properly. Try the double layer socks.

It surprises people but as you lose weight it's not unusual for your shoe size to change too. The runners that may have been perfect for you 2 years ago could be completely wrong now.
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have a spot on the outside of my right foot that always gets a blister if I do more than 4 miles. Different shoes might help, but I was already on my second pair and just couldn't spend more money trying another when everything else about these was perfect. I got some moleskin (sold near the shoe inserts in the pharmacy area of most stores) and it solved the problem. I made the mistake of thinking I'd actually "broken the shoes in" more and went without the moleskin after a while and ended up with a blister! Moleskin is just part of my gear now.
  • goblynn
    goblynn Posts: 152
    Options
    Lacing the shoe to create a custom fit for your foot is very important. Since I have a high instep, I skip an eye in the middle of my sneaker to give the tops of my feet more room and less pressure.

Also, if you rub deodorant on your hotspot areas and corn/bunions, you will see less friction. This is my best kept secret. :)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Maybe loosening up your shoes. Try just putting glide or vasoline over that spot. I know I get way more blisters in the summer than any other time because my feet sweat more. That could very well be part of the problem, too.
  • jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I don't have any other suggestions for you, but I was wondering how many miles running shoes should last before they are dead?
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I don't have any other suggestions for you, but I was wondering how many miles running shoes should last before they are dead?

Anywhere from 250 - 500 miles, depends on how you run, weight, shoe type (stability, neutral...less is apparently more in this case) and how much time they get to "recover" between runs. It helps a lot if you have more than one pair and rotate them so the cushioning can fully relax from one run to the next.
  • BenBz
    BenBz Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Might it be your socks? Though I'd find it suprising it be them especially if this is a new problem and you've been running 1/2 distance for a good while now...

Kind of baffling...

I wear Balega Hidden Comfort running socks - I love them. www.balega.com
  • jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that information
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I told my doctor my feet were hurting when I was running/walking. She told me to switch to a new pair of shoes. I traded my New Balances for a pair of $12 shoes from Walmart, and I no longer have that problem. Just something to consider.
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    The poster who said to lace your shoes differently is on to something. Worked for me. Found a neat little video here that shows how: http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Customize_Your_Shoes_With_These_Tricks.htm?page=2
  • Flaming_Reef
    Flaming_Reef Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    A quick blister question, what causes blisters between toes? I'm getting them between my big toe and the one next to it on my left foot. I've been trying baby powder cornstarch to reduce friction but it hasn't helped much. Would the cause lie more in the shoes or in the socks?
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    every shoe i ever owned blistered my heals, now I use athletic tape and tape my heals before i run. I start at the top and go down with 3 strips overlapping, put on my sock and run without worries or pain.
  • wadawads
    wadawads Posts: 4
    Options
    blisters suck!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    I told my doctor my feet were hurting when I was running/walking. She told me to switch to a new pair of shoes. I traded my New Balances for a pair of $12 shoes from Walmart, and I no longer have that problem. Just something to consider.

funny you mention this...
    i understand that there are 2 schools of thought with shoes in terms of running...
    some say the fancy shoes are the ONLY way to go....technology and all that...
    others say that the less 'tech' the better...just get shoes that fit and avoid all the gimmicks.

my "running" shoes are also $15 cheapos, and i havent really had any issues.

also, to get back on topic (sry)
    my understanding is that the 2 catalysts for blisters are loose shoes and wrong socks.
    cotton socks are apparently the worst...they soak in sweat and become rather slippery, causing your foot to move around in there. friction = blisters. ow.
  • Child369
    Child369 Posts: 11
    Options
    I also run in the Brooks Ghosts and I love them. I need a wider front area for my foot or they rub. I've tried lots of different brands and I've bought the Ghosts for my last three pairs. I would suggest healing your foot for sure and seeing a doctor, if you haven't already. I compete in Ironman triathlons and have run many marathons. If you are worried about friction due to sweat or moisture I would recommend rubbing your foot with either Body Glide or Aquaphor. It is weird at first but it will protect your feet from blisters. It helps with the rest of your body for chafing. I've tried Asics and Mizuno and they seem to be too tight up front for me. I tend to buy a neutral shoe. Hope that helps!
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I have made a list of things to change....moleskin for my LSR this weekend and then I will fiddle with the socks, body glide and lacing when I hit the shorter runs next week.

I tried switching shoes before this pair (asics) and lasted 2 runs before I took them back to the store and reverted to my ghosts.