Compression Shorts for running

Options
So I have just started to run. I have already picked up my first injury. I have pulled a muscle in my inner thigh.

Would these tight compression shorts help to avoid this kind of injury in the future? Anyone had any experience?

I would wear a pair of normal shorts over the top of them so the modesty factor is avoided. (I don't think stuffing a couple of pairs of socks down it would help my form anyway)

Thanks

Replies

• larkiedeek
    larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    bump.

Anyone?
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    How did you pull a muscle in your inner thigh? Were you sprinting?

I would imagine that the compression shorts would provide some support to the muscle and help it not get worse/heal. I use compression socks when my shin splint flare up, so by the same concept, it may help.
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I use compression shorts when running. Helps support the muscle to help with fatigue and injuries.... I like the under armor ones.
  • Luv2Knt
    Luv2Knt Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi,
    First you need to RICE the strain (Rest Ice Compression Elevation). As a former competitive runner, I understand that the elevation part is not the easiest - but sometimes lying on your back on the couch or bed with a pillow under you knee helps. Sometimes some cold/hot ointment (BenGay or IcyHot) and an OTC pain reliever (Motrin / Advil/ Tylenol) and a couple days of rest will make things much better.
    The compression shorts are a good idea - they will provide support for the muscles and keep the heat generated in - which in turn helps keep the muscles a bit more relaxed.
    I would suggest adding some stretching exercises to your routine - yoga is a great addition, but you should warm up before your runs and also do a nice cool-down stretch after.
    If you are in a great deal of pain - I suggest a trip to the doctor to make sure it is not more than a strain.
    Good Luck and feel better soon
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you probably didn't warm up properly before running, or stretched enough afterwards, and that is what contributed to your injury. try this:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/01/09/warm-up/
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Compression shorts keep the boys in place..............
  • jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I don't use compression shorts so I don't really have an opinion on that. But since you are a new runner I would like to suggest to you a book named 'Chi Running' by Danny Dreyer. It helps you to focus on proper form to avoid injury. I wish I would have known about this book when I first started out. I just started using some of the elements and my runs are so much better.

Hope you are up and running in no time....
  • fawnpowell
    fawnpowell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I tore my hamstring about 4 months ago doing sprints...fully warmed up, running for years, preconditions. Compression shorts are part of my everyday routine now.....they are great for a little extra support! I think that anyone who is active gets injured at some point. But take all the precausions and proper warmup/pre conditioning prior to help decrease the possibility. Good luck and happy running!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    So I have just started to run. I have already picked up my first injury. I have pulled a muscle in my inner thigh.

Would these tight compression shorts help to avoid this kind of injury in the future? Anyone had any experience?

I would wear a pair of normal shorts over the top of them so the modesty factor is avoided. (I don't think stuffing a couple of pairs of socks down it would help my form anyway)

Thanks

No.

In reading Runner's World and Running Times, there's strong advice to not "stretch before you run" and it makes sense to me. Warmups are used in sports that require dynamic leg activity which include basketball, tennis, football (all types). The goal is to get muscles into a state where they can exert maximum effort without injury.

Long distance running does not require maximum physical effort.

What some folks do is a short run (a mile or two) at a very slow pace, do some "dynamic stretching", and then continue with the workout.

Personally, I walk a few minutes before the run and, if I'm doing a non long slow run, I do a warm up mile and a cool down mile.

One of the reasons why RW and RT recommend against "stretch before you run" is that they've found that people actually injure themselves by stretching too much.

Compression shorts - some folks love them but their value, if any, seems to be that they impact blood flow in hopes of decreasing lactic acid build up.

They also "stop stuff from jiggling", so I've been told.

I wear compression tights between runs. It seems that they help speed recovery but do understand the "results" from a one person "trial" are meaningless.

As another poster has said, if you have a thigh injury, use RICE (you might want to think of putting a "P" at the start of the acronym where "P" = protect).

I hope you heal quickly.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    What about your shoes? I notice that I get more injuries if I have worn or improper shoes (ie I am an over pronator so that I need a stability shoe. When I wear anything else, I get injured).
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Injuries are going to happen at times. these types are normally during track/speed sessions or trail (uneven ground, side to side motion).

Make sure you are warmed up properly (2 miles or so) and do some active stretching (cross overs, high knees, etc) before speed work.

make sure that when doing speedwork that you do not overstride

compression shorts probably wouldn't have made a difference.
  • larkiedeek
    larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
    Options

Yes.

After I did a warm up walk then a 35 min run and a cool down walk I thought I still had something in the tank so I pushed for a strong end and did a 3 min hard run. I think this is when I must have damaged it.

What I SHOULD have done is just went for 35min at normal pace for another couple of weeks. It brings new meaning to the term "walk before you can run"

I have some time before I run again but I just thought I would ask about the shorts. I see some people wear them and thought it would reduce the risk of injury. Risk mitigation is my business!

It's all a learning experience I guess. When I ran 20 years ago I never had any issues or injury. I thought it would just be a simple case of getting some stamina back. I would have never thought about getting tight shorts. I will look into getting fitted for a new pair of shoes as well. This might be causing some of my issues.

Thanks
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Let me second JenJean's Chi Running suggestion. I have been running a while, and I just read this book in April. It has transformed my running. Not only did I go from a 10 minute mile to an 8.5 - 9 min. mile, I have gotten rid of the weird pains. I suggest you read that book. I think compression shorts may help in the short term, but you really need to focus on form, speed, shoes, etc. as well.
  • Child369
    Child369 Posts: 11
    Options
    I have had the same injury due to running. As others have mentioned, I do not do static stretching before a workout. Dynamic stretching is active and it will work your way into a more active workout without straining. Static stretching for after the workout is complete. Make sure to stretch out the area your concerned about after so it doesn't tighten for the next workout. That has been my problem in the past, I didn't stretch. When I went back to another workout I was so tight that I easily pull something before I even started the workout, that's depressing. Rice is a great suggestion for healing and a must. Remember to follow the 10% rule. Do not increase a workout more than 10% each week, that can mean distance or weight. A good stretch would be standing and crossing your feet and touching your toes, or pointing left leg out and twisting your body to the left. I recommend the book, Run Less, Run Faster. I do plan on reading the Chi running book also! Hope that helps!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Yes.

After I did a warm up walk then a 35 min run and a cool down walk I thought I still had something in the tank so I pushed for a strong end and did a 3 min hard run. I think this is when I must have damaged it.

What I SHOULD have done is just went for 35min at normal pace for another couple of weeks. It brings new meaning to the term "walk before you can run"

I have some time before I run again but I just thought I would ask about the shorts. I see some people wear them and thought it would reduce the risk of injury. Risk mitigation is my business!

It's all a learning experience I guess. When I ran 20 years ago I never had any issues or injury. I thought it would just be a simple case of getting some stamina back. I would have never thought about getting tight shorts. I will look into getting fitted for a new pair of shoes as well. This might be causing some of my issues.

Thanks

*kitten* happens. You can do everything "right" and still experience an injury. That's the sucky part of returning to an activity after 20 years.

Don't beat yourself up. It was just one of those things where you just happened to do something your body wasn't ready for. Get over your injury (the strain you have can unfortunately be a nasty one--I have only had two: first one took 8 weeks to heal, the second one, I felt the "tweak" and stopped instantly and I was over it in a few days). Be very careful about stretching it. You could heal and go back to your runs and never experience it again.

Compared to me, you are still a young pup, but one fact of returning to an activity like running after a long layoff when you are over 40 is that you need to be more cautious about incorporating bigger increases in training load or intensity. You can get to a point where you can work out as hard and vigorously as you want -- it just takes a little longer for the body to adapt.

The shorts are comfortable (IMO) and can enhance your running performance. I would not look for them to do much for injury prevention, but there are plenty of reasons to get them anyhow. They come in different lengths--you don't have to get the ones that go all the way to the knee. Comp shorts and nylon work out shorts are my standard exercise attire. Comfortable to wear, and you don't have to worry about your outer shorts moving around and all your stuff hanging out.