Any advice?

Options
My 12 year old cousin just went to the dr and she weighed 172lbs. She is only 5 feet tall. Both her parents are overweight, and so is her 11 year old brother. They are constantly eating out, or eating crap and junk food. She told me she stopped buying soda, but she just bought sugary juice instead. I'm worried about them, especially Kristen. It's really hard at that age. I want to help her, but I don't want to make her feel bad about her weight. I'm trying to get her to do more things with me, like roller skating, but one day a week isn't going to be much help. I think she's old enough to make her own decisions about what she eats, but I don't know how to bring it up, that won’t hurt her feelings. I was overweight at that age, and my grandma pointed it out constantly, and I was anorexic for 2 years. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? Thanks.

Replies

• savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Well, I know at age 12.. since my mother overate, I would follow in the same pattern. I ended up weighting in the 170's in high school, then in college gained the freshman 15. Well, I finally realized how to eat better once I was out of college and had more control over what I ate. When you're that young, the parents really dictate your eating habits. It's really hard.

Perhaps start with you aunt and uncle?
  • vraehn
    vraehn Posts: 1,008
    Options
    At an opportune time share your story with her making no references to her. Maybe you can spend some time shopping with her or take her out to eat or even to the gym with you, so the subject can be worked into conversation in a relaxed manner.:smile::wink: :laugh: :flowerforyou: Good luck.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I used to be a chunky kid. I had to live with my aunt and uncle when i was 13 and I had a cousin that was a cheerleader and on the swimteam. I would suggest to take her out to dinner and teach her whats healthy and whats not. Just talk to her about health you are actually doing her a favor. Bring up maybe doing swimming and things like that. It would really help her build her self confidence and everything.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I would agree, your aunt and uncle are the issue unless there is some other reason that you haven't mentioned in the thread. Talking to them about this may put you on their bad side, but it also may just save your cousin a lifetime of misery! I think it's worth a try. Bring it up gently, but bring it up! Family is ALWAYS your business.
  • silvertears
    silvertears Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can encourage her to get involved in some kind of sports at school.
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you can tell her what you are doing such as MPF and such and ask her if she would like to help you think of meals exercises ect) show her the site and how to navagate it and all. then have her give you her input to how you can do better at it. I found that when kids think they are helping someone else it can rub off on them. Ask her questions (like I went to mcdonalds today and had a really hard time choosing my most healthy option what would you have choosen if you were me) then you both could sit and compare what each option had in it (fat calories ect) I would suggest that your choice that you tell her be not the worst choice but not the best choice either. ( but of course we know that you did not go to Micky Ds or eat anything from there menu) It helps put the numbers and choices in perspective and does not put anyone on the definsive. :smokin:
    Pam

P>> also share the success when you lose a pound or two and tell her that her help help you lose it. She might crave some of that success for herself when she sees how easy it can happen.
  • Amber42803
    Options
    To be quite honest, and this is only my opinion, but honesty is important. Cruelness is not. I believe that like the others said, tell her your story, but also be honest and open with her, tell her you're concerned about her. Also, talk to her mom and dad. Surely they don't want their children teased and made fun of in high school. They can do something about it now while they're children are young. A lot of times parents aren't going to want to listen to being critisized (spell check please). They may even get upset, and say you're wrong, there's nothing wrong with their kids weight, but deep inside they'll know they're wrong. Sometimes you have to piss people off to get them to listed. Now I'm not saying to walk up to them and say, "Hey you fat cows, you need to lose weight." Just bring it up sometime when it's just you and them. Next time you're alone with your niece, bring it up to her. I was fortunate enough not to be big in high school...until I got pregnant. After the pregnancies the weight just kept piling on, I lost so much, and even now, I feel like I'm losing out because sometimes, I'm just too embarassed with my weight to take the kids to the park, my butt's too big to go down the slide with my daughter. I don't want that to happen to them. So I'm taking the steps now to make sure it doesn't.

Like I said, my opinion is to be honest with her, and her parents. BUT please don't mention her weight to her parents in front of her, or mention her weight to her in front of ANYONE in front of her. That'll mess her up.

Take her aside one day, and say, "Hey girl. How would you like to start working out with me? Start getting into better shape so when you go to the prom you'll be a total hottie." Something like that. I don't know your niece's personality, but take that into consideration on how you address it. Let her you know you're concerned and you're going to help her to the best of your ability. Show her MFP.

Goodluck on whatever you decide. I hope it works out for her and the whole family.

ALC
  • Amber42803
    Options
    Perhaps you can tell her what you are doing such as MPF and such and ask her if she would like to help you think of meals exercises ect) show her the site and how to navagate it and all. then have her give you her input to how you can do better at it. I found that when kids think they are helping someone else it can rub off on them. Ask her questions (like I went to mcdonalds today and had a really hard time choosing my most healthy option what would you have choosen if you were me) then you both could sit and compare what each option had in it (fat calories ect) I would suggest that your choice that you tell her be not the worst choice but not the best choice either. ( but of course we know that you did not go to Micky Ds or eat anything from there menu) It helps put the numbers and choices in perspective and does not put anyone on the definsive. :smokin:
    Pam

P>> also share the success when you lose a pound or two and tell her that her help help you lose it. She might crave some of that success for herself when she sees how easy it can happen.

I didn't see this until after I posted, but this is also a wonderful idea!
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i feel the most important thing is HEALTH not weight. she needs to understand that being healthy is important and the best way to be healthy is to eat right and MOVE around.
  • amyalwaysonline6
    Options
    Thanks guys. I have talked to her parents, and they act like they are concerned too, but they don't do anything to change.
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I wish i knew. if i did i would help my 14 year old sister who (i dont know how much she weighs exactly) but she weighs well over 200 lbs.. and i am 21 with 2 children and weigh 170 now. its sad. and my dad and step mom dont show any concern about it.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I would talk to her parents-this is a serious health issue for her.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    My 12 year old cousin just went to the dr and she weighed 172lbs. She is only 5 feet tall. Both her parents are overweight, and so is her 11 year old brother. They are constantly eating out, or eating crap and junk food. She told me she stopped buying soda, but she just bought sugary juice instead. I'm worried about them, especially Kristen. It's really hard at that age. I want to help her, but I don't want to make her feel bad about her weight. I'm trying to get her to do more things with me, like roller skating, but one day a week isn't going to be much help. I think she's old enough to make her own decisions about what she eats, but I don't know how to bring it up, that won’t hurt her feelings. I was overweight at that age, and my grandma pointed it out constantly, and I was anorexic for 2 years. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? Thanks.

She told you she stopped buying soda, instead opting for juice (that she doesn't realize is sugary and not great for her either). Sounds to me like she WANTS to lose weight but doesn't know how.

Maybe subtly bring up topics that give her opportunites to voice her own desires, such as, "Did you know you can burn off 200 calories roller skating? I know that helps me out with my own healthier eating," or however you can phrase that to sound natural. This opens the door for her to ask questions about how much you eat, how many calories are in what foods, and what kind of calories she should be eating.

At 12, she is probably being picked on by other girls at school, or at least ostracized. She probably wants help but doesn't know where to reach out. Make yourself available to her. Maybe share your story with her. Maybe you can work into a conversation about school how you were picked on about your weight (assuming you were.... you didn't say that) and see if she shares similiar stories.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Same advice regarding healthy food as mentioned above.

I think taking her roller skatking is a great idea, it might only be once a week, but you need to get your neice to understand that it's a great exercise to do (For starters, if that's something she enjoys)

I think your next step in that direction is to ask her to bring a girlfriend or two with her when you take her rollerskating next time.
    This way she will have someone else to go rollerskating with when you are not around.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I think you are underestimating what kind of impact you can make on her by spending 1 day a week with her. Maybe I'm wrong, but I imagine she looks up to her cool, older cousin. She's going to feel pretty special that you are spending time with her. You already know how not to approach her thanks to your grandmother. (Lot of sympathy for you there, mine was the same way.) I’m sure you will eventually figure out the best way to approach the topic with her. Without knowing the kid, it is hard to really give too much advice on how to talk to her about it.

I commend you for trying. As a kid I knew I was overweight (probably already obese by 12) but I didn't know that I could fix it. I really wish someone had reached out to me and woke me up back then. As it was, I was 30 before I woke up and realized I can do something about my weight. Now, I look back at my teen years (and my 20s for that matter) and think “it didn’t have to be like that.” You are giving her the best gift of her life if you can help her.
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    Does she have a dog? Do you? Tell her that Spot needs exercise and ask her to go walking with the two of you! That flows right along with the kids wanting to help other people....plus, if you watch the Dog Whisperer as fanatically as I do, you can also teach her how to walk dogs correctly and be the pack leader. That'll give her a big confidence boost.