Weighing food....your thoughts??

Options

Replies

• ebonijo2
    ebonijo2 Posts: 73
    Options
    I weigh/measure everything out as much as I can. I rather be more accurate w/ my calories then to guess. I love my food scale, the battery is about to die on me so I need to find a battery for it.
  • FlittyGetsFit
    Options
    I don't weigh fruit or vegetables, nor anything pre packed (slice of bread, cake bar and so on). I weigh absolutely everything else, without fail.
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Weigh and measure everything......then record it along with your exercise in your journal. :-) Best wishes to you on your fitness journey!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i weigh everything that i eat at home.
  • skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I weigh any type of meat or poultry so that I don't overestimate. I also weigh things like nuts if nutrition information is provided by weight instead of cup or tablespoon.

I don't weigh fruit. With the apple, keep in mind that you won't eat the core so that should be subtracted from the weight.
  • Marie047
    Marie047 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I got my weighing scales a few months ago and weigh most things, I was surprised on what I though 40g is and what it actually is. Now I`m eating smaller portions just because I weigh it.

I do weigh veg or fruit, I generally use the barcode scanner for this.

I love my scales. I am going away on Monday for 4 days for work and I am taking mine with me. How sad is that?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

This.....lot more accurate than measuring cups even
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I don't. Simply for the reason that I don't want to be weighing my food for the rest of my life and I am trying to form eating habits that I can maintain.

Occasionally I will double check what I am eye balling.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

This.....lot more accurate than measuring cups even

^^ditto
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Whenever I'm being serious about keeping track, I weigh or measure everything. Right now, I have only an analog scale, so it's not as precise as some others.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I don't. Simply for the reason that I don't want to be weighing my food for the rest of my life and I am trying to form eating habits that I can maintain.

Occasionally I will double check what I am eye balling.

That's fine, but people who weigh food are educating themselves about portion size and calories. After a while it will become second nature. In addition, if you have little margin for error, it's important to be as precise as possible about the amount.
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options

This is a terrible example as both peanut butter and oats are extremely calorie dense and probs not a good idea in any case for weight loss... If she was only a quarter cup over on broccoli for example there would only be a difference of 5 cals.

Actually, your response is fairly thoughtless. Maybe if she ate only broccoli and lettuce all day long, a food scale wouldn't make a difference. But is a person going to eat broccoli (and only calorie sparse foods) all day long? Or do most people likely eat a mix of calorie "dense" and calorie sparse foods daily? For example, a typical daily diet might include oatmeal (or other CD cereal), peanut butter, margarine, meat or chicken, rice or potato, and so on. Adding up the daily underestimation of all these foods would certainly make a difference in one's diet.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

This is a terrible example as both peanut butter and oats are extremely calorie dense and probs not a good idea in any case for weight loss... If she was only a quarter cup over on broccoli for example there would only be a difference of 5 cals.

How are oatmeal and peanut butter not a good idea for weight loss? As long as you are staying within your allotted calories what does it matter?
  • Tmrice721
    Tmrice721 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything when I'm at home (habit from WW) to the point that my grandson wants to weigh his food...also I have found that with some of the routine foods that I eat, I am much better at eyeballing.... so for me it has really helped.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    If I am cooking my own meals I weight it all! there are times where I need to guess, like for lunch today, I will have to guess as I am getting foods from a salad bar.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Yep, weigh nearly everything when I home. I'm always surprised at how far off I am when I try to guess the weight of a portion! :noway:
  • GCAsMom
    GCAsMom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure everything, except those things I eat all the time; then I eyeball. I try not to eat up to my suggested calories to take into account "hidden" calories from any inaccuracies due to mis-measureing or if my eyeballing is off. :)
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Yes, weighing is more accurate! And once you do it, you'll get really good at just looking at your favorite foods and knowing how many ounces without weighing it which comes in handy when you are not at home!
  • bethira
    bethira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I weigh or measure everything. As soon as I stop, I stop losing. It just takes a minute, and it keeps me on track. Can't argue with success!