RUNNERS: come here!

Options

Replies

• brun73
    brun73 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I started C25K the end of April and I'm getting ready to start week 7 today. On the last run of week 6 which was a straight 2.25 mile run my pace was 11:42. I agree with everyone else the 1st mile SUCKS, but when I finsh I'm almost disapointed that the run is over. I'm going to run my 1st 5k next Saturday. I wont be totally finshed with the program, but I will have one 2.75 run under my belt before the race so I think I should be fine adding an extra 1/4 mile to my run.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    a 5k race I can go under 8:30ish minute mile. My first half I ran it in like 11 minute mile last year.

I've been back to running in the last 2 years. Causal run is like 9:30 minute mile.

When I used to run before I was never fast, so I am pretty happy with my pace.
  • stopdangerpi
    Options
    Last year I started running in July for the first time in my life and did a 10k in October with a 10 minute mile. Then I got lazy over the winter and am starting all over again. Clocking in around 11 minute mile and barely able to run a 5k. I have another 10k coming up in July and do not plan on giving up this time. I just focus on how good it is going to feel to finish a race. I picture that when I run and damn, it does feel good to finish a race.
  • runningxlove
    Options
    My top speed in a 5K is 6:59 min/mile. I've been running consistently for almost 6 years. I'm addicted!
  • Lbekah72
    Lbekah72 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    LOVE THIS!!!!!!!
    Ok so I have been consistently running now for about 4 ½ months (started couch to 5 k four months ago and completed) My average mile time is all over the place it depends so much on what I have eaten & my hydration... anywhere from 9:38 (best yet) to 11:58 (Slow day). I just ran my first 5K in 10 years two weeks ago and finished in 34! Current in training for a half marathon... My longest run to date has been 6 miles..
    So to answer your question.... for me it hasn’t been so much that its gotten easier as much as I enjoy it more.. Running has kind of become my sanctuary... A place that’s all mine... in my mind and body.. Also I still have quite a bit of weight to loose so as the weight comes off I feel a difference FOR SURE!! And the first 8-10 are always the hardest.. Although I found a trick that works for me that beat the " first 10min dread" I ride a stationary bike with little to no resistance for 15 mines before I run and it seams to kind of bypass that yucky first ten..
    So far they key for me has just been CONSISTANCY!!! Just do it!!! Slow, fast whatever, just one foot in front of the other. Cuz if you don’t its amazing how fast you lose it. I vacationed in Maui recently and sliced my foot on Coral and couldn’t run for a week and when I ran again I was like WHAT THE HECK SOMEONE KILL ME!!!!!!lol...
    Just keep it up! Strong mind Strong Body!
    :wink:
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump bump
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Started running last December. Finished my first 10K about 7 weeks ago and have my first 1/2 marathon in two weeks (Rock 'n Roll, baby!). I really recommend switching up your training to add variety. It has really helped me.

I run speed drills once a week (on a treadmill - two minute warmup, then increase speed 1 mile an hour every minute for 4 minutes, then back to warmup speed. I do that 4-5 times)

Slow tempo runs once a week. These are really just relatively easy 60-70 percent of max runs for about an hour.

Long runs once a week - I have built up to 14 miles I run on Saturday. I try to add 1 mile per week. My objective is actually 2 hours, but so far I have been able to add a mile a week without killing myself and while staying within my time limit.

Three days a week I lift and then walk for 20-60 minutes. The lifting has really helped my legs on hills.

The first mile can still be tough, but it isn't nearly as difficult as it used to be. Good luck! :drinker:
  • slm0257
    slm0257 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This makes me feel so much better. I started C25K and got to about week 6 or so and then just started running and not really using the app. I made it 2 miles on my best run ever. Now I struggle with a mile. Guess its nice to know that the first mile is hard for most everyone. Maybe I just need to push past that and keep going! The humidity is really proving to be hard on me too. My first 5K is in 2 weeks and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to run the whole thing like I had hoped (unless some miracle happens between now and then!).
    You can do anything you set your mind to also the people there will inspire you to keep going by seeing them still going

This is my first 5K ever and my first Color Run ever! Yippee! I am so excited and can't wait for it to get here!

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm doing the Color Run in 2 weeks so I'm hopeful that with the excitement of it all, I will do better than I think. We shall see!
    I am doing the color run in KC on the 30th! So excited! Have you ever done it before?

I have been running 3 years, tomorrow I am doing the first 5K I ever did for the third year in a row :) in my experience I always feel better after I have my first mile in, I usually spend the first mile trying to remember why I am doing this and then enjoying the rest of the run, doesn't matter if I am running 2 or 12, the first one is always the killer. I usually run around a 10 minute mile pace.

Keep at it, I have met so many people and made so many friends through running!!
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    10-minute mile or so. I suck at running. I've been running on and off for like 8 years, but generally I don't run much in the winter because it gets cold her and I get sick of the treadmill.
  • lhiatt
    lhiatt Posts: 21
    Options
    Wow, great to read everyone's story. I just started "running" (lope, jog, shuffle) in April to add to my daily workouts. I'm sort of doing the C25K, well not officially, I am just doing intervals. I am up to 1.5 minutes...today I ran 3 minutes. Seems like NOTHING compared to the rest of you! But man when I ran the 3 minutes at once today I felt like I was something! Hahaha. I love reading the stories...maybe I just need to push through the pain and hopefully I can run further!? My whole life I always said I WILL NEVER EVER RUN...well I'm running! (slow but running it is!)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I've been running since early 2008, but I've been sidelined with knee injuries for a while. I really got back into in March of this year. I've progressed from 9:30-10 minute miles to 8:00-8:40 miles. Right now I'm running in the early evening when it's still really hot/sunny to try to get used to the heat, so I'm running more at the 8:30-8:40 end of the spectrum (if not slower). But I usually do 3-4 miles at a time, 4-5 days a week, and one of those days is a long run (6-12 miles).
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Wow, great to read everyone's story. I just started "running" (lope, jog, shuffle) in April to add to my daily workouts. I'm sort of doing the C25K, well not officially, I am just doing intervals. I am up to 1.5 minutes...today I ran 3 minutes. Seems like NOTHING compared to the rest of you! But man when I ran the 3 minutes at once today I felt like I was something! Hahaha. I love reading the stories...maybe I just need to push through the pain and hopefully I can run further!? My whole life I always said I WILL NEVER EVER RUN...well I'm running! (slow but running it is!)

3 minutes IS something-10 seconds IS something. My entire "journey" was started because of 30 second sprint (story in my profile if you're into that kind of thing). Those 30 seconds completely changed my life. So you absolutely have every right to feel you did something-because you did!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I've been running consistently for the last 10 year now. In that time I have run over 18,000 miles. I always run outside, in 10 years I have logged less than 10 miles on the dreadmill.

My pace depends on what I am up to. Easy runs might be 9:30 pace. Long runs are ~ 8:30 - 8:45 pace. Tempos are 7:15 - 7:30. Miles repeats and other Intervals are ~ 6:30 pace. Recovery can be 10:00+ pace.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    My average pace depends on the distance. If I just do a mile, I can get around 10 min/mile. If I do a 5k, I usually average somewhere around 10 1/2- 11 min/mile.

When I started out doing C25K on the treadmill (oh, about a year and half ago), I think my speed was like 4.3mph and I thought I'd die after a minute at that pace. Ha! It took a lot of time and practice but I slowly got better and faster. I finally got fitted for running shoes a few months ago, which helped a lot with reduction of pain and my pace.

I'm trying to run 2 or 3 times a week now but I don't like running on the treadmill (it's boring and I tend to be sore the next day) so it all depends on the weather. My 2nd 5k is in 2 weeks!

ETA - as far as that first mile goes, it depends on the day. Some days, it's great and some days I'm just not feeling it but I push myself to at least finish that 1st mile (unless I'm actually in pain, that's a different story) and then if I'm still not feeling it, I'll stop and walk for a bit and then run another mile, etc.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    How fast is your average mile? How long have you been running?

Also-- I've found that I really DO like to run... I'm finishing couch to 5k right now, and I find that in the first 8-10 min of running, I constantly think about quitting and starting again tomorrow... lol (I haven't quit.)--- do these feelings ever go away? Does it get easier?

I've been running for about18 months now, and I'm a c25k grad too. My average pace over a shorter run is about 11 min mile. Longer runs is about 13mm.

I've now run 5 halves and a full, and I'm planning another full in 5 months. And I don't think it has got any easier! I mean I can go further and faster than I could, but I still find it as hard as I did a year ago. Maybe it has to do with putting in the same perceived effort? The first mile sucks, every single time.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    How fast is your average mile?

Average for what? I do runs at lots of different paces. My easy run pace is anywhere between 8:45 and 9:45 m/m. My mile RACE pace is around 5:45 m/m (haven't raced a mile in almost 2 years).
    How long have you been running?

A little over 8 years
    Also-- I've found that I really DO like to run... I'm finishing couch to 5k right now, and I find that in the first 8-10 min of running, I constantly think about quitting and starting again tomorrow... lol (I haven't quit.)--- do these feelings ever go away?

Yes...and no. :)
    Does it get easier?

See previous answer. :)

Just keep at it and slow down if it gets too hard. The fitness will come.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question! I've also been struggling with that first mile, want to quit feeling (and sometimes I actually do just call it a day and head home). I feel so relieved that even the seasoned runners have to push through it - I think it will actually make it easier for me to do the same!
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I've been running since last summer (minus a 14 week stint when I broke my ankle and had surgery, Nov.-Feb.,, started back again March 1st)
    I run 4-5 times a week, 5-8 miles at a time (for now- I increase my "long" runs by .5-1 mile a week). Average pace is 8:00-8:40 a mile. the first mile is the hardest for me- my body is stiff, I run at 5am, and I always think "short run day" but 95% of the time it ends up being a longer run (i thought "short run day" every day this week and ran 8 miles EVERY day this week). It just takes my body some time to get in the groove.
    I love running- its my escape, my time, nobody but me and the rhythm of running. I am a much better Mommy and teacher (I teach 6th grade) when I run.
  • RhondaSawchuk
    RhondaSawchuk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You're not alone!! I feel that way as well for the first 5 to 10 min..I can't seem to take a deep enough breath I just want to quit. When I started I could only run maybe 3mins at a time now its up to 20min. After 2weeks it seems to be getting easier and easier. 10km goal here I come!
  • Reptileszz
    Reptileszz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Running since 2009 when I blew my knee out. Restarted towards the end of 2009 and just PR'd a 5k at 23:55 :) Run almost every day and love it.