How long until you started seeing results?

Options
2»

Replies

• aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Today starts week 5 for me.. I've lost 20 lbs so far and the ONLY difference I can tell is my calf muscles are looking good, and I'm down a pants size.. =( It makes me worry a little bit that I'm never going to see results.. just give it time. I read a quote on the 12 week challenge I found on here... This is what I keep telling myself::

It takes 4 weeks for you to notice your body changing, ---> My leg muscles.
    8 weeks for your friends to notice, ---> Haven't got there yet. ;)
    and 12 weeks for the rest of the world.
    Give it 12 weeks

5 wks and you've lost 20 lbs. Good lord what are you doing?? When I started this in 2010 it took me like 6 months to lose my first 20 lbs.
  • sssuuuzzz
    sssuuuzzz Posts: 20
    Options
    Wait, it says you joined in May, so you lost 6 pounds in about a month? That sounds like results to me! I guess maybe I don't understand the question.

I can see where that would get confusing. I did lose 6 pounds I just haven't lost inches. Personally I rather lose the inches then the pounds.
  • sssuuuzzz
    Options
    For me, I started really seeing the results after a month (I lost 5-6) and especially when I started strength training 2 months in (Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred jump started it). I was in a rut and had a plateau with my weight loss and strength training is what really got me out of it! Strength training WITH cardio (no more than 1 hour all together) and good eating 5 days a week is what brought on changes I could really SEE. Just work hard, put your head down and plow ahead at least 5 days a week and when you look up after a week or two- you'll be suprised! Take pix now and again in 2 or 3 weeks....I promise you won't be disappointed! Good luck!

I'm doing the 30 day shred now. I am on level 2 day 13. Almost half way there!!
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    i started with only 15lbs to lose, so far i have lost about 5lbs, i dont really notice a visible difference yet, but i think i will when i get a little closer to my goal weight.
  • lil_bear0811
    Options
    I think results can be measured in more than just what you see and what the scale says. I noticed for the first time today that when I'm working out, I don't feel like my lungs are going to collapse and my heart rate isn't off the charts. That is a huge bonus for me.

As far as seeing the results, it was in just a week or two. My clothes started fitting better, I don't get that roll over at the top of my pants any more from my tummy trying to bust out. The tops of my arms are smaller and don't feel like I'm trying to cut off the circulation in them with my shirts, and my boyfriend says my butt is getting smaller.

It takes lots of hard work and once you start seeing little changes, they will start adding up to big ones.

Keep the faith.
  • sssuuuzzz
    Options
    Today starts week 5 for me.. I've lost 20 lbs so far and the ONLY difference I can tell is my calf muscles are looking good, and I'm down a pants size.. =(

You don't call being down a pant size results?

To the OP - According to your ticker, you don't have a lot to lose, so it will likely come off slowly, or you won't see visible results right away. That said, 6lbs in a month is fantastic for anyone!

Also, is what you're doing conducive to losing weight, or losing body fat? If you're just eating "right" or "healthy," and not exercising, or if all of your exercising is cardio, then you might not get the results you want. That close to your goal, you might want to look into body composition, and consider fitting in some strength training. There are a lot of girls on here who do things like power lift, and they rave about losing inches and overall looking and feeling better. It's worth checking out.

I actually do have more to lose then the 25lbs. I have always given myself smaller milestones before I reach the over all goal. In reality I want to lose 50 lbs. I just want to get through the first 25!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i have a lot to lose (like 85 total when i started) and i didnt start seeing results until around the 20 pound loss mark.

i also kept measurements. i could see the measurements were getting smaller but it's hard to tell the difference in a quarter inch :laugh:

by the time i reached 20 pounds i was down a size then by 25 pounds it seemed more like 2 sizes.

i think part of the issue is that you see yourself everyday, which makes it hard to see changes.

it really didnt hit me until a few days ago when i was trying to pick out an outfit for an event i was going to later that night. my dresses were either way too big or a bit too baggy in certain places. my shoes were also all a bit too big as well. since i normally wear exercise and loungey clothes and flips flops and sneakers, this was the first time i was trying to get dressed up in 3 months.
  • Mandie69
    Mandie69 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am half way through my journey to the me that I can look in the mirror and be proud of. There are weeks when I don't lose but, if anything, it only makes me more determined to work harder. I started in the 1st of January and still going. Hopefully reaching my goal end of October. But the way I look at it is that I have spent years hating the way I looked but in only a few months (and a lot of determination) I will be the way I want to be and yes it ma be a few months but this will give me a life time of happiness.
    Oh and it was about 20lbs for me before I got the comment "are you shrinking?"....."Yes I am!" with a very big smile on my face!!
  • laurenbausch
    laurenbausch Posts: 146
    Options
    Keep on working on it! My husband hid my scale until Monday, so I can't check my weight. I was getting discouraged about weighing the same for 4 days. I am now forced to track my loss by other means, like old skinny jeans. I try on pants that are too tight to track my progress. I had a pair I couldn't zip a few days ago, and now I can zip them...They are still too snug to wear out of the house, but I'm seeing progress. Keep your head up and eyes on the prize!

Oh, and I started seeing results at about 8 lbs...I wasn't doing MFP at that time. I started this journey on May 17, and I'm down 11 lbs. Maybe more...I'll know on Monday.
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    Took me 30lbs to drop pant sizes and have the weight loss be noticeable.
    I'm 5'8 and went from 210lbs to 180lbs (30lb loss) in 1 year. Went from a size 14 to a size 12.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Here is what I've had to realize. Some people lose weight really fast and some people don't. Some people gain muscle really fast and some people don't. Some people are great at doing HIIT and whatever is the new trend and some people aren't.

I'm one of the people that lose it slow. I could do everything right and still not lose anything. I don't know why that is but that is me. When I get down - like I have been for the past month or so I try and look back at my pics. It's taken me 2 yrs to lose around 40 lbs but I did it my way with things I'm able to keep up throughout my life. Hang in there. The hardest thing to learn is to not compare yourself to others. I still have a hard time following that rule.

I didn't start trying to lose weight until Jan 2010. Here are a few pics you can look at. The progress was real......slow but well worth the wait.

http://s1168.photobucket.com/albums/r482/aj_55434/
  • izoom3
    izoom3 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It didn't take me very long at all to notice that I didn't have heartburn, was in a better mood, less tired, my knees didn't ache. . It took a while longer to notice some changes in my body. I did notice the more serious I got about cleaning up what I ate and adding a bit of exercise in that the changes came faster.
    Some people ive seen on MFP think they can eat anything they want to their calorie limit and that will make drastic changes. I find that the ones that are serious....change what they eat more fruit, veggies, protein....less 100 cal snack packs and mini candy bars.... They have the bigger # losses. Plus, once you find a physical activity that you actually like to do and look forward to doing you will notice even more changes.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!