My first sprint triathlon

Options
Anyone have any tips??!! Next Sunday, I will be completing my first sprint triathlon. I want to know if there was anything you learned with your triathlon that you can tell me. Any advice is welcome.
Thanks!!

Replies

• arianamari3
    arianamari3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Practice transitions (jumping out of the pool after your swim and putting on shoes, socks, helmet etc). If you've been training and are confident, you'll have a blast. Just enjoy and do your best. Good luck :)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I've never done one (but volunteered at one once, and got to write people's numbers on them in sharpie!), but I just wanted to say good luck!!
  • tarynnmichelle
    tarynnmichelle Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    don't be afraid to come in last. I came in second to last because one guy got a flat on during the bike portion. But ya know what? I finished. Go out and have fun and use the first one as a learning experience to kick butt on your second one!
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Practice transitions (jumping out of the pool after your swim and putting on shoes, socks, helmet etc). If you've been training and are confident, you'll have a blast. Just enjoy and do your best. Good luck :)

This.... be prepared for how you will feel also when you transition from swim to bike to run.... I was shocked at how it seemed like I was slogging through mud after the bike.....

Also. beware of the people changing stroke in the middle of the swim. I was behind one guy who flipped over to backstroke in the middle of the swim, and I just about ran into him....

And there is the inevitable person that freaks out in the water..... watch out for them too!

Good luck, and have a blast!
  • RealHealthQuest
    RealHealthQuest Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Go on at least 1 bike ride and then immediately go for a run. You would be amazed at how different it feels after you have been pumping it hard. Don't go to fast thinking you gotta do gangbusters. Slow jog/walk. Take it easy during your transitions.

If you are wearing a wet suit, practice getting in and out of it. This also means greasing up to make sure it comes on and off easily. If you are wearing one, do not swim in it for the first time at the race! It feels different.

On the group swim it can be kinda crazy. i would stay to the back of the group at the start. This will let you see from behind the group what it is like. Trust me, over time you will make up that distance, so starting in the back isn't a biggie, but it is easy to get hit, elbowed etc...during this part. Also remember to look up every few strokes for your markers and spot them. This will make sure you stay on track.

My opinion is crossing the finish line is huge for the first one regardless of where you are. Best of luck to you! It is quite a rush to finish.
  • hannahpete
    hannahpete Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    All of the above. It's okay to walk. Practice laying everything out at home for what you need and pack the night before. Make sure you put on all your race numbers and don't forget your ankle chip if that is involved.

Always make sure if you are biking in to the race that you have your helmet on (regulations - can get disqualified at some events if you bike from your car to the race site w/o it on.)

Have FUN!!!!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Bring toilet paper!!!! Because you never know.

Make yourself a list of everything you need, pack, then check and double check it.
    If it is a large event and you are going to have to wait a while for your swim wave, bring a cheap pair of flip flops to wear while you wait.
    Bring a camera and take lots of pictures, and have someone take pictures of you as you come in and out of transition and across the finish line.
    Get a good nights sleep the night before. Personally I have a hard time settling down to sleep and will take a couple tylenol pm - helps a lot!
    Unless you are superfast, start at the back of the swim wave. Even wait 5-10 seconds before starting to swim. It's not worth all the bumping and elbowing, and once you have a space of your own you will easily make up the time.

Relax, have fun, enjoy the experience.