How much is "one scoop" of protien powder

Options
I buy Show me the Whey vanilla protien powder from the co-op in bulk. Does anyone know how much "one scoop" is measured? I've just been assuming it is 1 tablespoon. Is that right?

Replies

• janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    There should be a scoop inside it, if not weigh it compared to the serving size. Based on mine, it is probably 3 TBL but just a guess
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    you will prob find a scoop buried in your powder.. give it a shake.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    The nutritional info should tell you how many grams are in 1 scoop... probably 30 - 36'ish grams. I always weigh mine to be accurate.
  • antijen
    antijen Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If you're buying it in bulk, it probably doesn't come with a scoop. Is that right? Check out the website maybe?

Here you go: http://www.myhalalcenter.com/productimages/temp/HNC_Vanilla.pdf
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    The nutritional info should tell you how many grams are in 1 scoop... probably 30 - 36'ish grams. I always weigh mine to be accurate.

^^this.

I use the CareOne stuff and it's 28g/serving. Regardless, a cheapo digital scale is absolutely essential for MFPers in my humble opinion. You can get them for about 8 bucks on the interwebs.
  • picimadar
    picimadar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    A scoop is usually about 1/3 of a cup, I believe. The few gram difference between that volume just depends on the powder and is really negligible in the end :)
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    For my brand it's 1/3 cup. Sounds like it varies a good bit and checking with the manufacturer would be the way to go.
  • nolakris
    nolakris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The nutrition label says a scoop is 21.5 grams. I'd measure that out on a food scale .
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I weigh it. It's 30.4g / scoop for mine.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I buy Show me the Whey vanilla protien powder from the co-op in bulk. Does anyone know how much "one scoop" is measured? I've just been assuming it is 1 tablespoon. Is that right?

Not at all. With the brand I use, it's around 1/2 cup. Buying it in bulk, do you mean from a bulk bin, or buying a big container? If not in a container, you won't have a scoop, so I'd look up the serving size here. Mine gives it in grams (36), or scoop. If you have a food scale, you can figure it that way (grams/serving). If you bought a container, there is a scoop in there.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    My vanilla powder is 21.5 grams per serving.

Buying bulk is awesome! It does make things like this difficult though =)
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Mine is 1/3 cup
  • gypsybree
    gypsybree Posts: 218
    Options
    There should be a scoop inside.. I get herbalife and I always find the scoop right in the middle about halfway down!
    I keep a scoop from a previous container until I can find it. Maybe turn it upside down and shake???
    I know I got the kids Herbalife and it said to use 2 tablespoons for theirs... it seemed to be about the same as a scoop.

***I just measured my herbalife cafe latte --the scoop which came with the container took 1.5 TBS packed and leveled. It takes two scoops for a serving and a serving is 26.1 grams. So to get 26.2 grams it would be 3 TBS.

The kids is 23 grams for 2 TBS... sounds so very unconsistant -- must be because they have different ingredients and different volume weights... so I would do 2 or 3 TBS personally... depends on how much I liked the taste.
    Can't go wrong with a little extra protein but it won't hurt to have less intake if it tastes better.
    Once you find your scoop you can do the measurements to see how off you were and you can go back and change your intake logs.

Good Luck! And I hope you find your scoop soon!!

(My Aria and Biggest Loser proteins say scoop for the measurement and they have scoops inside)
  • mumtowandz
    mumtowandz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I always follow the nutritional content guide and measure in grams on my kitchen scale... Some heaping measures can add up considerably. I weigh to be sure, pre- measure, and put them into small cups so I I have a weeks worth ready to go:)
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    The kind on my package is 34g. I use trutein. And interestingly, a 'scoop' of it seems to come in a little shy of that. So I always just weigh it out.

There's definitely a variance between brands.

It looks like for your brand a scoop could be around 24g
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/show-me-the-whey

And 1TB would likely be only about half to 1/3 of a scoop... unless it's a really HEAPING one.
  • Jordant107
    Jordant107 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    you will prob find a scoop buried in your powder.. give it a shake.
    Yeah it should be in there somewhere!!
  • Jordant107
    Jordant107 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    A scoop is usually about 1/3 of a cup, I believe.
    It varies a lot- 1/3 may or may not be right.....................don't assume.
  • picimadar
    picimadar Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Sorry, ISOLATE is almost always 1/3 cup, or 35-40g. Why you would buy anything else is a whole other question lol
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options

WEIGH YOUR PROTEIN POWDER.

I cannot stress this enough. I weigh mine every time I mix it and a scoop is never exactly a scoop. Unless you've packed it down completely (and who does that?) you're going to get a different amount of powder every time you mix.

When I get a level scoop of protein powder that's supposed to equal 28g, it usually ends up weighing about 23g. If I just went by the "one scoop" measure, I'd be shorting myself about 25% of the protein!

Weigh it! It takes two seconds!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Buying in "bulk" also known as going to a store like the "bulk barn" and scooping from a bin of protein powder that is "closed" to air until you open to scoop it in there won't BE a scoop in your "bag" of loose packed bulk purchase. They don't hide the scoops in the bins, but at the bulk barn they DO have a "product card" that gives you nutritional info or some suggested uses / preparations and you'd have to go by the nutritional info for the particular one you're buying to find out how big your scoop is.