Good ways to prepare salmon/tuna

Options
Can anyone suggest good/cheap/fast ways to prepare salmon and tuna filets?

I love fish, and although I'm not from a good region to get it, I think I want to get some from Costco and begin eating it for dinner. I still live at home and my entire family is overweight and not hopping aboard the diet train so I'm going to make my own dinners!

Replies

• janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com. she has good recipes. I generally like salmon with a mix of soy / garlic / dijon or sugar, a balsamic reduction with shallots, or a rosemary/butter finish after either pan frying or cooking on the grill. You can also cook it on a cedar plank on the grill and let it get smokey. I like the tuna grilled / pan fried with thyme or mashed up raw and made into tuna rolls (sushi)
  • dmdakd
    dmdakd Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I grill it and brush Sweet Baby Ray's barbeque sauce on it the last couple of minutes.
  • jennagale
    jennagale Posts: 6
    Options
    I've been making salmon with a little salt and pepper, or blackening seasoning, a light drizzle of olive oil, and baking it on a rack in a pan in the oven or on the grill. Tastes great!
  • Johnsweaver
    Johnsweaver Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Whatever recipe you decide, figure out how not to overcook the fish. It cooks quickly and goes from perfect to dry in no time.

Over a hot grill I can cook small salmon filet portions in 4-5 minutes.

This is one of my favorite recipes. I use a stick blender for the marinade/sauce.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/asian-grilled-salmon-recipe/index.html
  • Joy2hymn
    Joy2hymn Posts: 16
    Options
    I have 5 ways I can have salmon.

1.) Grilled with garlic and I use "I can't believe it's not butter" to give it a nice taste. I occasionally like it with other sauces and marinades, but if your really trying to cut back the ICBINB has 0 CALS.

2.) Baked with Shallots. Which is great paired with sauteed spinach and rice!

3.) I make Salmon Patties or Crochets. I use flaked salmon and low cal bread. Like Natures own. I bake it and rip it. Throw in some W. Sauce. Low Fat may. Minced Garlic, Onion, and one egg white. Great served with a salad and grape tomatoes.

4.) I use it in a foil packet when camping or picnicing. I like squash and zuchinni in the the packet.

5.) I like it as a sandwich spread as well!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I will preface this by mentioning I'm a terrible cook. But I eat salmon or tuna filets almost every night. I sprinkle with the seasoning bottle du jour (whichever one I pick up off the shelf), then gasp-I nuke it. It's edible-which is infinitely better than most of my cooking attempts. If you're a capable cook-I'd grill or broil it.