side items with dinner....

Options
Rockstar_sister
Rockstar_sister Posts: 65 Member
I'M ruining out of ideas I have side items to go with . I usually fix rice and vegetables. in vegetables I mean frozen mixed vegetables, california blend vegetables and normandy blend vegetables. anyone have any other ideas? thanks for the input!

Replies

• arickim
    arickim Posts: 137
    Options
    asparagus
  • Woly
    Woly Posts: 26
    Options
    My favorite thing is a simple baby spinach salad with balsalmic vinegar, a teensy bit of olive oil, sliced almonds, craisins, feta, and maybe some cold turkey :)
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    slice up an eggplant and grill it

steam some squash and zuchini

make a batch of penne pasta
  • Mummsy
    Mummsy Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :noway: I am so boring. We have a trainload of broccoli with our dinner. Rice occassionally. Sometimes mac n cheese for the kidlets. Sweet potatoes on the grill are amazing. Quinoa (kids may not like) but they may. Try roasting some veggies in the oven with some olive oil. I know. I am not much help.
  • fishpondbubble07
    fishpondbubble07 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Me and my boyfriend are both on MFP. Often times (nearly every dinner) I use low-starch veggies. Lately it's been a lot of spinach, salad, broccoli and asparagus. Last night while inputting our dinner, my boyfriend remarked, "Wow, I need to just be eating a lot more vegetables." Since they are just so darned low in calories and they fill you up. Good luck!
  • tehpounce
    tehpounce Posts: 64
    Options
    1/2 Baked potato with plain greek yogurt.
    Grilled asaparagus and 1/2 Whole Wheat english muffin.
    Spinach salad 1/2 toasted english muffin (whole wheat)
    Baked sweet potato with a little cinnamon.
    Asian cucumber salad and sticky rice.

You want to get a carb and protien with every meal. Unlimited greens.
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Haha! I posted a similar question yesterday! Here are the replies I got:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/624567-need-side-dish-ideas

Last night I made quinoa with 1 Tbsp lemon juice, 1 Tbsp lime juice and 3 Tbsp chopped cilantro. yum!
    We also love to roast veggies- asparagus and cauliflower are my faves.
    Cauliflower rice is always good, esp sauteed with onions and garlic.
    I grilled sweet potatoes with our chicken (cut in half lengthwise, wrapped in foil) the other day. so good!
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    brussel sprouts halfed and lightly tossed in olive oil and dash of black pepper and sea salt and roasted in the oven at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

I know, brussel sprouts, normally gross--but here--delicious. I hated them, 'til I had them like this, now I know they can be delicious.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Boiled potatoes with salt (yummmm)
    Sauteed garlic, sweet bell peppers, and spinach
    Lentil Soup
    Garlic PIta Bread (Brush with a teeny bit of butter, garlic salt, or minced garlic and salt -- bake)
  • thomasje18
    thomasje18 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I fry zucchini and mushrooms using a little cooking spray and add minced garlic, salt and pepper. Finish it off with a small sprinkle of parmesan. Delish!
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Also, roasted fingerling potatoes...mmm....
  • marylou1976
    marylou1976 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    roasted veg, peppers, onions, aubergine, corgette, mixed with a little olive oil and herbs of your choice, tasty!, and you can use any leftovers the next day with pasta and sauce
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    brussel sprouts halfed and lightly tossed in olive oil and dash of black pepper and sea salt and roasted in the oven at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

I know, brussel sprouts, normally gross--but here--delicious. I hated them, 'til I had them like this, now I know they can be delicious.

THIS
    One of my favorite vegetable dishes.
  • marylou1976
    marylou1976 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    roasted veg, peppers, onions, aubergine, corgette, mixed with a little olive oil and herbs of your choice, tasty!, and you can use any leftovers the next day with pasta and sauce

or "winter" roasted veg, carrots, parsnips, onion, swede, turnip, with some honey and mustard
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    we recently had kale chips and hummus. they rocked!!
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    edamame beans - brilliant source of protein and delicious raw or cooked
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options

I second this one! brussel sprouts are my favorite vegetable done this way. I'm making converts of family & friends who say brussel sprouts are gross but after eating them roasted decide they are really good!
  • Lukasmum1
    Lukasmum1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Baby beetroot (or beetroot chopped up) - warmed through with a tablespoon of light mayo mixed through, along with a large portobello mushroom grilled, with dry baked potato or kumara (in NZ, sweet potato elsewhere) slices.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    meat and double side of fresh or steamed veggies for dinner. brocolli and carrots, asparagus and mushrooms, spinach and tomatoes, zuchini and onions, brussel sprouts(my fav), snow peas and spaghetti squash. 1/2 sweet potato done in micro. I use no starches, rice, or condiments. Only fresh herbs. I have gluten allergy, so bread, pasta, is never on the menu
  • KeishaK89
    KeishaK89 Posts: 40
    Options
    steam fresh veggies! they taste delicious and need very little seasoning. we like broccoli, cauliflour, carrots and brussel sprouts. grilled veggies are also awesome! asparagus, peppers, zuchini. another option is speghetti squash. I make mine in the oven with a touch of olive oil, pepper and seasoning salt. then bake for 45min. easy and delicious. :smile: