Should breakfast be the largest meal of the day?

I know it's the most important. But should I consume the most calories at this time since I have the rest of the day to burn it off? It's just, I feel like a a large "wholesome" breakfast preps me to eat more throughout the day. As if I make my stomach bigger by eating a lot of food, so there's a weird need to keep it full.

Anyone else have thoughts or opinions on breakfast portion?

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    It's solely a matter of personal preference.

You may eat a huge breakfast if you prefer.
    You may skip breakfast if you prefer.

Your tummy doesn't have a clock. You can eat your daily allottment of calories however you see fit. All in one meal or spread out, it does not matter.

Some folks prefer to spread it out, and they claim it helps the metabolism. It doesn't. It may help psychologically, and if it does, cool.

In short, it's 100% up to you.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Depends on the day. If I get to sleep in and breakfast is really more of a lunch, then sure. Otherwise not so much. Usually I prefer to have a larger pool of calories to work with for lunch dinner just so I don't have to limit my options as much.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    I don't think it matters very much. I tend to eat the same breakfast every day, and have lunch as my biggest meal of the day.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Most people skip it...I feel it's important to eat breakfast.... not big.....I never want to over eat.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    It doesn't make a huge difference in terms of weight loss. But if you're looking to make the most out of the energy you get from food, then yes breakfast would ideally be your largest meal...
  • I know its not good, but i don't tend to eat breakfast, It makes me feel ill, and if i do, i feel constantly hungry throughout the day, i've always believed that the whole breakfast things a myth anyways =)
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    It doesn't have to be the bulkiest meal, but it helps to get enough carbohydrates to energize you. I've played around with my breakfast calories, and i feel better throughout the day if i get at least 500 calories of fruit for breakfast. I eat less later in the day if i make sure to eat good quality food throughout the day.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    I know it's the most important....

That's a myth. Breakfast is no more/less important than any other food you consume throughout the day. Many people choose not to eat after awakening..... without ill effects.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    I was never a breakfast eater and I still have a half cup coffee 15 min. before I work out then have a small breakfast (120 cals) around 10:30 AM after., then eat lunch at 12:30. Snack at 2PM snack at 4PM then dinner at 5:30, snack at 8PM. I have tried doing breakfast,but my tummy feels bad and I don't like to wait too long to go to the gym.It also seems to me that the sooner I start eating I keep wanting to eat all day. Others have success with doing a big breakfast. Personel preference I suppose.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    I know it's the most important....

That's a myth. Breakfast is no more/less important than any other food you consume throughout the day. Many people choose not to eat after awakening..... without ill effects.

This. It really is a myth promoted by cereal companies.

Biologically speaking skipping/eating breakfast makes a negligible difference. It's all about total calories consumed. If you LIKE breakfast, go for it! If you dont, skip it! As long as you hit your macros, and keep that calorie deficit, its all good. :)
  • josephinabonetto
    josephinabonetto Posts: 253 Member
    While at work, lunch is my biggest meal of the day, and breakfast smaller as I can only eat so much that early.

While not at work, I will eat probably double the calories for breakfast than I would on a work day as I wake later and can handle it.
  • Preference, I say,
    Personally breakfast is my favourite meal of the day so generally, I put more effort into preparing it and allow myself more calories. I've had up 1000cals before for breakfast, as long as you're eating in proportion to how little/often you're exercising or whatever then I don't see why it should matter!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Go by your preference & what works for you. I'd be in trouble if I tried having breakfast as my biggest meal-I consume most of my calories after 8pm/9pm (because that's what I prefer). If you want breakfast-eat it. If you don't, don't. If you want breakfast as your biggest meal-go for it. But do it because that's your preference-not because you're piling in calories early because the secret calorie burning aliens all leave your body at 6pm so you have to give them time to do their work. My secret calorie burning aliens work 24/7.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    I find eating a large dinner helpful for me since I'm a night snacker, which is when I'm tempted to big out on chips/crackers/popcorn etc. If I eat a big dinner, I'm much less likely to snack, since I'm so full. Breakfast I find I eat a lot too since I'm home and have time to make something good. Lunch is my terrible meal. But since I ate a big breakfast and I know I'll eat a good dinner I never worry.

It all depends on your lifestyle and schedule. I know a lot of people hate eating in the morning. They don't get hungry until later in the day.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Can I just say I love every single person who posted above me??

I came in here rubbing my hands together for a good fight...but you all have it covered.

Awesome :).
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    *applause*
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member

I came in here rubbing my hands together for a good fight...but you all have it covered.

This.

Pleasantly surprised at the direction of this thread.
    I expected people to say how important it is and blahblahblah...but it's really like most people here have said...eat it, don't eat it, eat a lot, eat a little...WHATEVER...as long as your DAILY TOTALS are in line, you're all set. (or even better, your WEEKLY totals)

Do what makes you feel best.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    I like to eat 2 breakfasts, that way I can pretend its doubly important!
    One as a shake at 5am. One as 14 eggs at 9am.

But yeah, what everyone said. Eat what you want, when you want.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member

This.

Pleasantly surprised at the direction of this thread.
    I expected people to say how important it is and blahblahblah...but it's really like most people here have said...eat it, don't eat it, eat a lot, eat a little...WHATEVER...as long as your DAILY TOTALS are in line, you're all set. (or even better, your WEEKLY totals)

Do what makes you feel best.

Oh, and I double love Robin...cause she's awesome :).
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,296 Member
    On the weekdays, breakfast is probably my smallest meal of the day only because I'm in such a hurry. On the weekends, I try to make it a priority. I love breakfast...eggs, sausage, hashbrowns...heck whatever else. Breakfast and dinner are my favs. Dinner is usually my largest though. All about personal preference