Loss of a Parent

Options
Today marks the 1 year anniversary of my mom's death :(( She died of alzheimer's disease. What a terrible way to go! She had it 11 years and we watched her deteriorate from a woman full of love, enjoyed life, was very active to a shell of a body that once was my mom. I am missing her tonight! I was with her when she left this world. I will never forget! I know this is a depressing topic but was wondering if anyone else has lost their mom and are missing her.

Replies

• lilorphann
    lilorphann Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. It's been 1 yr and almost 7 months since my mom passed away. It was Thanksgiving Day 2010 and she passed away at her house, in my dad's arms, very suddenly from a pulmonary embolism. My boys had just left her less than 2 hours before.
    I miss her every second of every day and I still cry all the time. I've been able to honor her memory by losing weight an getting healthy with my hubby and son. My mom always worried about our weight. I totally understand your pain and grief. ((hugs))
  • mimijan3
    mimijan3 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. My dear mom has alzheimer's. She's had it for 11 years and my siblings and I would welcome her suffering to end. She hasn't known us for years, and very hard to watch her deteriorate, as you know. Do something nice for yourself today, I'll bet your mom would be happy that you did.
  • MileyClimb
    MileyClimb Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I lost my dad when I was 15 years old. He died from brain cancer.
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm Sorry For The loss of your Mother, My Mother passed away March 13, 2008 with cancer. My prayers go out to you and your family.
  • murdie
    murdie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Alzhiemer's is a difficult way to go. I work with many Alzhiemer's patients and so many are gone before they pass due to the memory loss. You are so fortunate to be together when she passed. I'm sure deep in side she knew you were there and loved her.
  • JoanneStone
    JoanneStone Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Both my parents are gone, Mom in 1994 at the age of 57, too young and Dad almost 6yrs ago now. You never stop missing your folks when they pass. But I have so many great memories of them both,THAT is their legacy.
  • keri3
    keri3 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear and sorry your upset. I lost my mom last August, she got diagnosed with teremal cancer last march and passed away in August ( 4 days before my birthday). I had found out I was pregnant 2 weeks before she found out about the cancer so I can have struggled a lot as well now that I have my first child and she's not here to experience it with me. I also was by her side when she took her last breath and I deeply feel your pain as it was the hardest moment I have ever experienced. Just take it a day at a time and remember the good memories,
  • MzCongeniality70
    MzCongeniality70 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Oh honey, I am so sorry!! I lost both of my parents by the time I was 33. Yes, it is an emptiness that will never be filled. My mom has been gone for 10yrs now, and I don't remember the sound of her voice. I know it's hard, but I promise you that it will get a bit easier with ever passing year. You may never be the same, and you may never get over it, but you will get through it. :flowerforyou:
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I lost my mom to lung cancer on November 6, 2007. Not a day goes by when I don't think of her. I'll always miss her. She was my best friend.
  • srathfelder
    Options
    My mom passed away in 1996 after a 2 year battle with Colon cancer. I still miss her every day.
  • KeriD
    KeriD Posts: 324
    Options
    HUGS!!! I am so sorry for the loss of your mother! It was extremely hard when I lost my daddy... God be with you!
  • hcoburn37
    hcoburn37 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I "lost" my mom when I was 10. She didn't die, she had a hysterectomy and followed by a stroke and slipped into a coma for 2 months. She was only 32. She came out brain dead, blind and paralyzed. She has lived in a hospital since 1985 with no idea who her family or surrroundings are.

I lost my dad and 5 year old brother in a horrific car accident 3 years ago. :sad:

There isn't a day that I don't think about and miss them. You always will, just remember and cherish the good memories you have.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. My parents gave my unconditional love... I'm not sure young people feel that from their parents any more, because their life is so much busier. I lost my dad 8 years ago and still miss him terribly. I still have a good cry about once a month. It makes the fact that my mom is still alive even more of a blessing. She will be 90 in less than a month, and she amazes me. My dad used to come to me in my dreams and comfort me after he passed. That hasn't happened for a while. But I was so distrought when he died, I cried for 3 months, and then had a stroke. I hope beautiful memories will ease your pain.:flowerforyou:
  • sugasweetie520
    Options
    I lost my mom when I was 13. She died in her sleep from heart failure at the age of 46. I miss her a lot, even though it has been 5 years. Sometimes it seems to get harder as the years go by :(
  • maggiemay365
    maggiemay365 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I am going through the Alzheimer's situation with my Mom. She has had it for 11 years also..I am so sorry for your loss..I wouldn't wish this disease on anyone..especially my wonderful Mom..she is a Love:cry:
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your loss of your Mother....Definitely can relate..I to was there by my mom side when I had to make the decision to take her off life support just tired from seeing her suffer (Hardest decision ever)....Know that is is ok to miss your mom, cry, shout, write, or whatever you need to do...Healing comes in all forms...In time it will get BETTER...and you will remember more of the great times you all have.... Know that she is with you always in spirit and in your heart...((HUGS))
  • bgrune131
    bgrune131 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. It gets better with time. However, when things like Mother's Day, the anniversary of her death, her birthday, etc. roll around...those days are always a little bit more sad.

I lost my Mom when I was 14. I was with her when she took her last breathe in the hospital, holding her hand. That imagine will probably never leave my mind. That will be 11 years ago this coming September. She was diagnosed with cancer when I was 9 and had a much longer run than her doctor said she would. So, that I can be thankful for. However, losing a parent...especially when a daughter loses her mother, it's probably the hardest thing ever. Not a day goes by where I don't think about her. :heart:
  • Pomoch325
    Pomoch325 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Lost both at the age of 4 to a house fire. Milestones and special occasions are the worst. I am approaching the age at which my mom passed, and my son is 4... It makes me realize just how young my parents were, and also how much they missed out on.

I am sorry about your mother. Alzheimers is an unfair disease. I hope you find some peace in the memories.
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm here to help and give support and encourage. If anyone wants to add me to friends list.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I also lost my mom to a long-suffering debilitating disease that caused her to suffer for nearly 17 years.. Huntington's Disease. By the time it causes death, death is a peaceful event. I was also there when my mom passed.. holding her hand and talking softly to her. I don't know if she understood or could even hear me. This was over 15 years ago, but I still miss her a lot. She was always proud of my accomplishments and let me know how proud she was. There has never been another person who has done that for me. Thanks mom. :heart: