Looking to Lose Weight Women? Try Eating Like a Man

Options
--- this is what I live by, it has worked for me it might work for some of you :)

Lori Corbin
More: Bio, Facebook, Home Page, News Team
By Lori Corbin
Oct. 1, 2007 (KABC-TV) (KABC) -- On average women burn 26 percent fewer calories a day then men.

And, research reveals women eat more vegetables, yet still have to eat less food and workout harder to maintain weight.

If a beer and a bucket of fried chicken is your guy's idea of a well-balanced meal, he's pretty much in tune with the rest of American males. But believe it or not, guys have a few eating habits that could help women lose a few pounds.

The biggest bonus for eating like a boy is protein. Women crave sugary sweets like frozen yogurt and candy. When guys are looking to eat, they crave hearty protein, and the leaner the better. Filling up on protein, even if you feel like sugar, will keep your energy levels even and diminish your hunger.

Another male attribute, they tend to eat less if they've been snacking, as opposed to women who often over look that they've eaten. If you can't remember having that morning donut, keep a written log to help you stay honest at lunch.

Real men don't turn to ice cream when emotions run high. Guys don't look for sugar and fat when stressed like gals do. Rather than automatically hit the vending machine after an emotional day, head outside for a break instead.

Men also enjoy a feast and then move on. Women have a tendency to beat themselves up for their gluttony, often eating even more. The lesson here? Enjoy the treats then head on back to healthy habits.

Another great idea you can take from your man is to find a treat that will work for you and the healthier the better. If he's stuck on Ben & Jerry's Chubby Hubby ice cream, find a reduced fat version in modest portions so you can both enjoy snack love without love handles.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=food_coach&id=5684543

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I've never understood why we have this idea that there's something manly about eating meat. It's so weird to me.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Except don't do the same portion size as men.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    My bf turns to the flapjacks and chocolate, not the meat, lol.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Pretty cool.

And accurate for the most part, at least as far as it concerns me.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    yum!!!! meat!!! I like steaks and chicken!!! pork is great too if cooked right! gotta balance it with lots of water tho' so you don't over work the kidney. do not do atkins... balance is a good thing! :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've never understood why we have this idea that there's something manly about eating meat. It's so weird to me.
    I didn't read that at all.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Whoever wrote this doesn't know very many men.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Whoever wrote this doesn't know very many men.

They seem to know me.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options

majority of woman who want to lose weight - majority - will go the fruit and veggie route - see protein as something bad... go out to dinner the husband has a big juicy steak on their plate while they are eating a salad...
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    @carld - I would love for you to elaborate on this comment - at least all men I know act in this way...
  • carld256
    Options
    There's no monolithic group of men. I wish good habits were universal, but what is it, one third of the men in the US are overweight or obese. You have eat healthy, not follow someone's idea of how a man acts, cause we don't have our act together either.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    There's no monolithic group of men. I wish good habits were universal, but what is it, one third of the men in the US are overweight or obese. You have eat healthy, not follow someone's idea of how a man acts, cause we don't have our act together either.

Always someone who's got to throw in a 'don't stereotype' jab lol.
  • carld256
    Options
    That's not really what I mean at all. I'm saying if you have to think "What would a man do?" it's not automatically going to lead you in a healthy direction.
  • letgo79
    letgo79 Posts: 25
    Options
    Yes, don't skimp on protein. It helps support muscle tissue after workouts. Great article, thank you for sharing.
  • jgkoutr
    jgkoutr Posts: 8,105 Member
    Options
    It simply pointed out some of the habits that men have that we (us women) may not always associate as healthy that are actually good habits to incorporate...and for the most part its true...women do turn to sweets and we beat ourselves up and b/c of that will continue to gorge after a slip up,

good points to keep in mind, thanks for sharing
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    That's not really what I mean at all. I'm saying if you have to think "What would a man do?" it's not automatically going to lead you in a healthy direction.

I don't disagree at all...if you take it literally. I think this is one of those things where the spirit of the rule was the point though. If you think 'MAN!!!...UGH UGH UGH!!' then choose your foods, you might be better off than otherwise was what I got out of it.