Weight loss, but cant tell

Options
Hello MF Community,
I have Lost 18.5 lbs in the last month and 3 weeks, but the sad part is, I cant tell, I look at myself and I do not see a difference. The scale is moving down, no inches lost. could my scale be broken? maybe I should replace the battery, but Im eating very clean, and I signed up for the gym ang have gone daily for the last 10 days.... ( I never used to excercise....) what do you all think?

Replies

• moepwr
    moepwr Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm not sure? No change in measurements? I would keep going. If the scale is moving then something is happening!
  • KimKAnderson80
    KimKAnderson80 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It's hard to notice small changes. Taking photos for comparison seems to really help. You will soon notice differences. Don't give up!
  • andreabrightside
    Options
    1) you probably lost water weight. This is neither good nor bad, just make sure you're getting enough water.

2) It could be visceral fat that is located between your organs. You can't see it, but it's there. If you're losing it, then it means you're probably extending your life.

3) 10 days is probably not enough to see much of a result at the gym.

4) You see yourself in the mirror every day, so there might be a difference but it's subtle and you don't notice it. Take before/after pictures and/or record your measurements.
  • lenema
    lenema Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. It WILL show up. Just keep doing what you're doing. And good job so far!
  • sherise26
    sherise26 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you, you''ve all been helpful! as for the gym, I told myself the first month, I wanted to focus on changing how and what I ate, so I did that until i can do it without thinking....now the 2nd month time to add excercise, thats why its only been 10 days, but I had to start sooner or later, and I drink about 5 -8 bottles of water per day. I try and do more but its so hard. I never used to drink water, now, its all that I want. that first month focus really helped me.

thanks again!! good luck on all of your journeys!
  • bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    the only way i can see weight loss in myself is through a photo. take a picture or have someone else do it for you. you will see the difference.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Hello MF Community,
    I have Lost 18.5 lbs in the last month and 3 weeks, but the sad part is, I cant tell, I look at myself and I do not see a difference. The scale is moving down, no inches lost. could my scale be broken? maybe I should replace the battery, but Im eating very clean, and I signed up for the gym ang have gone daily for the last 10 days.... ( I never used to excercise....) what do you all think?

Well, you should know if your battery needs changing. Also, depending on the amount of weight you have to lose will determine when you"See" results. In the mean time keep on doing what you are doing.
  • ArtemisMoon
    ArtemisMoon Posts: 144
    Options
    Keep an eye on areas that you might not typically notice or measure. After 10 lbs I thought I couldn't really tell anything either, until one day I realized my face is showing it just enough that it wasn't really easily noticable. Hands, fingers, wrists, feet, ankles, rear, face...they are all places weight loss can sneak in and you might never notice it. Some people just start losing in areas like that first. So as long as it is going down and you are being careful not to lose muscle mass (which will not now as much as actual fat loss since 5 lbs of muscle is much smaller than 5 lbs of fat) then you are ok and will see it in more obvious areas eventually!
  • sherise26
    sherise26 Posts: 3
    Options
    So Ladies, I went to the doctor on Thursday and it was confirmed that I lost 20 lbs AND I was able to put on and wear comfortably 3 pair of jeans I purchased (w/o trying them on in the store) and they didn't fit then, NOW they fit GREAT!!! :-) this Journey so so worth it!
  • jenslife82
    jenslife82 Posts: 229
    Options
    1) you probably lost water weight. This is neither good nor bad, just make sure you're getting enough water.

2) It could be visceral fat that is located between your organs. You can't see it, but it's there. If you're losing it, then it means you're probably extending your life.

3) 10 days is probably not enough to see much of a result at the gym.

4) You see yourself in the mirror every day, so there might be a difference but it's subtle and you don't notice it. Take before/after pictures and/or record your measurements.
    This!
  • ThaRealNicki
    ThaRealNicki Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    :sad: i dont see a change either! ive lost inches and all but not many, i just cant see it! i took progress pics and all and no change at all to my eye and my guy saw a very small change thats all its not even noticeable for the amount of inches ive supposedly lost!!!! in fact its not noticeable at all! im glad im not going through this alone ive lost 25lbs and have been losing since march, but ill keep going and hopefully see a change soon because this is ridiculous
  • kbd388
    kbd388 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way and often wonder how it is that people who see me every day nitice a difference. to me, I look the same but my clothes no longer fit. hang in there and keep doing what you are doing.
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    Bump,same here! You're not alone so hang in there as I plan to I'm not stopping til I reach my goal however long it takes.
  • letmebeda1_wechange
    letmebeda1_wechange Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    i know what you are feeling was there myself but because i did take pictures that's when i started seeing the changes. don't give up keep going and going.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    My first 10 pounds was so exciting that I got myself all hyped up. I expected to find a different person in the mirror, which didn't happen. Then 20 pounds came and went and I when I got off the scale, I immediately went to the mirror. Surely, this time there would be change. I couldn't see it still. My friends told me to take measurements, but I suspect that I don't know how to take measurements very well. My measurements didn't change when I hit 30 pounds either.

I was in despair. Surely by 30 pounds, I should be a whole new me! I thought my scale was broken. I was confused over the measurements thing (somehow, either I was doing it wrong or I was the incredibly shrinking woman -- able to wear smaller sizes on bigger measurements).

Slowly, though, it dawned on me that I was changing. My friends and co-workers started noticing and commenting when I reached 40 pounds lost. I started seeing a slowly evolving shape emerging from the mirror at me. It's still hard, because each day is a crap shoot of encouragement and discouragement.

But I didn't wake up one day, surprised, that I'd gotten chunky. So I can't expect to wake up one day surprised that I've suddenly gotten thin (though boy do I wish that would happen).

Keep it up! It's working, but it's a slow process. Pictures help! Go try on clothes at the store every so often -- that's a real good barometer of how you're changing. Tell your mirror-self how you feel good about all the progress you've gotten so far! Because you're awesome that you're doing it.

Eventually, your mirror-self WILL start ponying up the changes. :)

Good luck and great job!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I didnt see a change in photos until about 10 kgs (23lb) .. Keep going.
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I have lost 20 pounds but cant really notice a difference. I take measurements and I have lost inches. The only place I really notice a difference when I look at myself is in my face and only a slight difference, very slight. But I am told that we see ourselves differently than others do. Also have heard that when you have a lot to lose and the weight is coming off that you still see your heavier self for a while after losing. It is a psychological thing.

But what made me feel good was my boyfriend of 5 years stopped me the other day and kept staring at me and looking me up and down. He said he could tell I have lost weight.
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time seeing a "big" difference when I look in the mirror even with 66 pounds gone, looking at myself I still focus on the areas that need work (my belly). I figure we have looked at our overweight self for so long that it is hard for us to see the minor changes when they start to happen. It wasn't until I allowed my husband to take a pic of me from the back that I could "see" the change.

Starting at 230 pounds, I didn't see noticable change in measurements (more than 1/2 inch) until I had lost 30 pounds. Don't give up, you'll start to notice that your clothes are fitting just a bit differently and all the hard work is making a difference.
  • lalapurple62
    Options
    i also couldnt see 'it' when looking in the mirror, i knew i must be because my clothes were falling off me but the mirror didnt show it, so i started setting my little digital camera up on timer and then hittin go.....the camera didnt lie, there it was staring me in the face............i had lost weight ........i really could see it!!!!!!!!!!! Whenever i feel discouraged now i get out the old camera and set it up
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    HI, Your clothes should be fitting better. It takes time usually to lose that much weight, so don't get disappointed, just keep up on the program you are on, it seems as if it is working!! Good luck!

Basil
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!