Can you use a HRM for Jillians workouts?

Options
I have a bunch of her circuit training dvds, 3 min strength, 2 min cardio, 1 min abs. Is the HRM going to be accurate? And can I log the calories it says when I do a hard strength training session? I know that the caloric burn is greater afterwards, but just to log something in MFP can I log what it says I burn or is it way off?

Replies

• dwiebe85
    dwiebe85 Posts: 123
    Options
    bump
  • irishkiss
    irishkiss Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    yes...I use mine for yard work ...work outs...anytime I do exercise that is not in my ordinary day.
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I use mine for every workout that I do.
  • croberson8711
    Options
    I was wondering about that too, because I just purchased an HRM from Amazon about 2 hours ago for pretty much any exercising I do, but specifically for Jillian stuff (I'm starting her Body Revolution program on Monday) and I have all of her other DVDs, so I'm hoping that this device will work, as well as for when I go on walks and such.
  • MrsSamB
    MrsSamB Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Of course you can. The HRM will track the estimated calories burned during physical exertion. Translation: you must be working to get the benefits of the HRM. If you're just sitting on your booty and have the HRM turned on, it will estimate how many calories burned .... but, of course, that's not accurate because when a person is sitting on the couch, they are not working.

Hope this helps.

blessings,
    sam
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM for her shred and it works great!

If you are doing something for 2 minutes I wouldn't bother even logging, but if you do a bunch of them in a row, go for it!

Just recognize you aren't going to get your heart rate up with straight strength exercises.
  • JenVii
    JenVii Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I just got my HRM on Wednesday and I have been using it when I do the 30 Day Shred.

Jen
  • candacedion
    Options
    this isn't about a HRM, but I just finished Body Revolution. It was pretty good. I supplemented it with 30 minute cardio workouts 5 days/week because I needed to lose some lbs and tone up and I wanted quick-ish results. I'm happy with results. Good luck to you! You'll get stronger each week.
  • xTenaciousJx
    xTenaciousJx Posts: 555
    Options
    of course i use mine all the time for her stuff!! i get a great workout and burn a lot. :)
  • croberson8711
    Options
    I use mine for every workout that I do.

What brand do you use?
  • croberson8711
    Options
    of course i use mine all the time for her stuff!! i get a great workout and burn a lot. :)

I'd also like to know, what brand of HRM do you have?
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Why not? Just let it keep running until your HR returns to normal (about 5 extra minutes) and it will continue to calculate calories burned while you cool down... My logic: your body would normally burn some calories during the time you are exercising (which is part of your BMR). Accordingly, to be accurate in recording your additional calories burned, you would need to subtract your normal BMR calories from the ones you burned during your workout. However, your body will continue to burn calories to repair muscles you've used during the workout for hours or days (depending on the intensity of your workout). I don't bother to subtract my BMR calories from my workout - so I figure that any repair burned calories are already accounted for by not making the adjustment when I did the exercise. I know my food calculations are not always 100% accurate, so my exercise calculations won't be either. Just as long as we are reasonably close most of the time.
  • hswayze
    hswayze Posts: 6
    Options
    Jen,

I havent received my HRM yet so I have no idea what I'm burning for level one of 30 day shred....What's your average? Thanks :happy:
  • kristikay52
    kristikay52 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 that I love! I wear it for every single workout I do. I look at it like this...if I'm wearing my sports bra, then I'm wearing my HRM too.
  • croberson8711
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 that I love! I wear it for every single workout I do. I look at it like this...if I'm wearing my sports bra, then I'm wearing my HRM too.

I just bought the FT4 and I'm so excited to get it! How long have you had yours for?
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    yes...I always use mine! (Polar FT7)
  • classc1
    classc1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I use my Polar FT4 HRM for all my workouts which include Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, 6 Week 6 Pack, Hip Hop Abs, Insanity, the elliptical, and old fashioned getting outdoors running.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM for her shred and it works great!

If you are doing something for 2 minutes I wouldn't bother even logging, but if you do a bunch of them in a row, go for it!

Just recognize you aren't going to get your heart rate up with straight strength exercises.

Actually, you can get your heart rate up quite high with strength training exercises if you're using a challenging enough weight. I wear mine when I lift and often times on my heavy lifting days my heart rate is up as high as it is when I'm running, but the key is you have to use the appropriate amount of weights.

I use my HRM for any workout I use though! I have the Polar FT4 (I believe), my dad gave me his because he didn't really like wearing it, the only problem I'm noticing is recently it hasn't been picking up my heart rate when I first put it on, so any of you that have one, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    It's the most accurate way to know how many calories you've lost, use mine all the time :)
  • glennam1
    glennam1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    you SURE can :smile: