Annoyed with Quaker

Options
So I thought I was doing something good for myself and opted for Quaker weight control oatmeal... and then I opened the box, read the directions on the packet and it read may contain SULPHITES. :explode: Seriously????:mad: How can they do that to people who are taking steps to better their health?

Replies

• TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    Also..those instant types may have aspertame or junk like that in them....it is nuts isnt it?? I switched to buying the big canister and mixing it like instant...works fine and is better for you.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Yep, I buy the canister from Aldi's. 100% Natural Quick Oats. I chop up come almonds, maybe a little butter.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I was just looking for a quick fix while getting my kids ready :grumble: . I guess I'll need to go back to cream of wheat.
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    You can make instant oatmeal in the microwave... still a pretty quick fix!
  • rndalsn
    rndalsn Posts: 26
    Options
    When I was seeing a nutritionist, she said that regular oatmeal is not good for you, that you should eat the steelcut oats. You can eat it w/ a little honey or some fresh berries! So good for you!
  • TuscanySun
    Options
    I dont think its that its not good for you, just that the steel cut oats are better for you..higher in fiber etc.
  • TuscanySun
    Options
    Mojo...I just put the oats in a bowl, add boiling water until its the consistency they like and you're done. Just top with whatever you want. Some people do microwave it like this too. There's no need to drag out a pan and boil the heck out of the oatmeal and take up all that time. Straight in the bowl and stir it up. It works great and is just like making the instant stuff...just using the quick oats instead of little packets.
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    It just annoys me that when you think you are doing something good for yourself, by making good choices, you actually aren't. I read the label, but didn't read the fine print. There should be stricter legislation on labels - like all scary things show first, and in bold.
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    Tuscan - yeah... I also read you can prepare the steelcut in a rice cooker. That's great for more than 1 serving.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    They were trying to do that with 'smart choices' but then lots of sugary cereals qualified. The FDA is trying to help the general public but the companies involved don't want to comply.

Here is just one article about it: http://www.wsbtv.com/health/21350742/detail.html
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    You know, they did it with cigarettes and alcohol, so why not with food...? It's no different other than food is a necessity and should have higher standards.
    Anyway - shame on the Quaker company.
  • sewsinthesouth
    Options
    I really love the steel cut oats. I was so disappointed to see our Harris Teeter no longer carries them!! I am back to the old fashioned oatmeal until I can find them!!
  • shera426
    shera426 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the old fashioned oats with peanut butter & raisins. 322 calories and it's SOO yummy !
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the old fashioned oats with peanut butter & raisins. 322 calories and it's SOO yummy !

Oooo...never thought of trying them with peanut butter...sounds yummy!

I use the Quaker one minute oatmeal, It hydrates in boiling water just the same as the instant one. I find that I need to add a pinch of salt, though, so it's not so bland. Otherwise, I put in ground flax seed, brown sugar and recently started adding a few chopped nuts for a protein. (hence the PB would be great!) The nuts force me to "chew" my oatmeal, which slows me down - a good thing!

I pre-bag a week's worth, or so and then I have it to grab and go just as conveniently as the instant pouches.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    If you want to cut down on the salt, cinnamon would be a good flavour enhancer too
  • TuscanySun
    Options
    Thats what I did...I dont use salt at all and I use almost a tblsp of cinnamon. Cinnamon is a metabolism booster but you have to use larger quantities, so this is a great way to work it in.
  • famv5
    famv5 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in the microwave, too. I add a little brown sugar and cinnamon and blueberries when they are in season. I never thought of adding nuts. That sounds great! I will definitely try that.

I've never had steel cut oats. Do you cook them the same way?
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Thats what I did...I dont use salt at all and I use almost a tblsp of cinnamon. Cinnamon is a metabolism booster but you have to use larger quantities, so this is a great way to work it in.

LOVE Cinnamon!!! Don't use a lot of salt in general, but as a die hard foodie, I need a little in my grains to bump them out of the "glue" flavour spectrum :happy: It's the hidden sodium that's killer. On the other hand, my MIL wsa told to avoid sodium and took it to such an extreme (even baked her own salt free bread) that she ended up with ultra elevated potassium levels! Moderation, as always!!!