When I overeat I put the cal surplus into the NEXT day.

Options
Whenever I go over my cals I enter them into the next day (tomorrow) and delete them from the current day (today). That way I don't have to calculate a deficit in my head. Makes it easier to ensure that by the end of the WEEK I still made my cal-deficit goal.

For example last night (Friday) before bed I had a snack, even though I was already at my cal limit. I put the snack onto the next day (Saturday). Anytime I do this, I make one of those little notes at the bottom of the entry reminding myself that I overate on that day. That's just to keep a record of times when I eat emotionally, or whatever.

Hope this makes sense, maybe someone else will find it a useful thing to do :-)

Replies

• hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I used to do that oo, but I found that I was using it as an excuse to eat more and just stick it on the next day. :/ But that is because I am useless.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I sorta do that too. Sometimes I just can't be bothered though heh

I set my calorie goat to my maintenance cals so now instead of aiming for 1200 or whatever I just aim to be below maintenance. It's helped me a lot, and that's coming from someone who has disordered eating habits. Might be useful for someone else
  • gypsybree
    gypsybree Posts: 218
    Options
    I was thinking about doing that.... Kind of like a reminder that the day before you 'failed' instead of forgetting
    Personally, I try to find an exercise to do that will cancel it out--usually cleaning will work.
    But to prevent all that I'm trying to top my calorie intake at 2000 regardless of net.

Thanks for the tip!! Like I said, I thought about doing it, but it made me feel guilty in my head but after reading that you do it, it makes more sense that it would be a reminder than something I should feel guilty for. Thanks. :) You made my night.
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I tend to over eat alot!
    But Im not so sure that the approach you are taking is really EFFECTIVE? Becuz you really cant put calories you technically have not consumed yet, a day after. UNLESS you consumed those bad calories around midnight or later.. Then yea that would work...No matter how GUILTY I FEEL. I still just count it as the same day IF I consumed them that same day.. Like today I went over!

11mini quater size cookies= 135calories at breakfast with my protein shake
    14 choc. caramel kisses=190calories for 7 that I had around noon + another 7 I had later on=380calories
    4 cookies= 100cal per cookie I had 2 mid afternoon + 2more around dinner.
    BASICALLY I HAD 915 CALORIES! IN JUST "JUNK FOOD" TODAY.. :/
    Even tho, I did NOT consume it all at once still it counts for my day. and I think I had went over around 400 calories. but I worked out 3x today to cancel out some more calories. But if it works for you then thats cool.
  • v_snowdrop
    v_snowdrop Posts: 59
    Options
    I set my calorie goat to my maintenance cals so now instead of aiming for 1200 or whatever I just aim to be below maintenance. It's helped me a lot, and that's coming from someone who has disordered eating habits. Might be useful for someone else.

This is a good idea, thanks. Seems less complicated than what I'm doing.
  • v_snowdrop
    v_snowdrop Posts: 59
    Options
    Im not so sure that the approach you are taking is really EFFECTIVE? Becuz you really cant put calories you technically have not consumed yet, a day after. UNLESS you consumed those bad calories around midnight or later.. Then yea that would work...No matter how GUILTY I FEEL. I still just count it as the same day IF I consumed them that same day.. Like today I went over!

Yes you can, you can skip ahead in your food diary, just as you can go back to previous days. And I do acknowledge that I overate, at the bottom of the entry where you can add notes. It's not about guilt, it's just about making it easier (for me) to account for overages. :-)
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Of course I know you can skip ahead in days and log where ever when ever. I just dont see it being an effective method is all. I personally like to see EXACTLY how much I'm Over in calories if and when I over do it...

But like I said if it works for you then thats cool...
  • TXRobinD
    TXRobinD Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I log everything on the day I eat it but I use a spreadsheet to average all my numbers for the week and month. That way if I over do it one day then I can look at the average for the week and do better for a couple days to make up for it. This has really helped me see the big picture for what is happening over a month and how much I am really eating and exercising. I think how ever you work it out in your head is ok as long as you are not carrying this food overage every day of the week.