help getting metabolism back to normal!

Options
Hi everyone!
I have been reading up on here a lot about calories etc and have realized I may have been undereating for the past couple of years. I had initially lost about 40 pounds but now the weight loss has stopped. When I tried increasing my calories the weight started coming back on. I do believe it is because I have been undereating and have decreased my metabolism thus having a lower BMR.
So my question is- has anyone experienced something similar to this? and can it be fixed? I really would like to be able to eat more without having to worry about gaining whenever what I would like to eat would be considered normal if my metabolism functioned properly.
I am currently eating about 1700 give or take cals a day and exercising off about 500- netting 1100 or a little over.
PLEASE help me!!
thanks everyone!

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    You are probably fine, but eat at maintenance for a couple of weeks, then drop your calories down 500
  • hayleesmith
    Options
    I just recently started eating 1700 calories, though. Before I was probably eating about 1300 and still burning off 500 through running. You think I'm still okay?
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I just recently started eating 1700 calories, though. Before I was probably eating about 1300 and still burning off 500 through running. You think I'm still okay?

Yes
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    Didn't realize the forum was your own personal blog.
  • hayleesmith
    Options
    what?
  • hayleesmith
    Options
    bump!!
  • mel128
    mel128 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If you lost 40 pounds your BMR will have come down a fair way, you don't say anything about dimensions etc but it is conceivable your BMR is around 1200 so you use 1440 sedentary. Add a couple of hundred for running and 1700 could easily be maintenance.
  • abigailmariecs
    abigailmariecs Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Not saying that this works for everyone but I was having a difficult time getting rid of any weight. I found the eat more weigh less group, did a metabolism reset they suggest a minimum of 4 weeks but recomend 8 weeks. Since I was fairly new to the low cal way and was eating way over my maintenance I actually went with only a week (eek I gained 2lbs). Then using a calculator I figured out what a 10% reduction and a 25% reduction was for me. I attempt to get my intake between the 25% and the 10%. Since I started doing this about 3 weeks now I have lost 6.9 lbs on top of the two I gained during the metabolism reset.