complete newbie!

Options
Hi, I've just joined here this morning. I've logged my food for the day and the workout I just did at the gym. After logging the exercise my number of spare calories shot up and it said I'm not eating enough calories (if I don't use them). Does everybody else eat their calories earned from exercise? I'm not sure what I should do. Will I still lose weight if I eat them? Help!! Thanks :-)

Replies

• 2013Alli
    2013Alli Posts: 30
    Options
    I think unless you're planning a night out and you're exercising in preparation, it's good to view them as a bonus towards your weight loss. Let's face it, you'll only lose weight quicker....bargain!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Community is usually split on eating back/not eating back exercise calories. I have been doing MFP for about 3 months and I have found that at first, I didn't notice when I left the calories on the table. However now, if I have a good hard workout, I feel weak in the afternoon. I have to add a protein snack (apple with pb, cheese with apple) something. We're all sort of on a learning curve because every body is different. You will def. know if you're not getting enough calories. Your body will tell you.
  • tema47
    tema47 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi ya

I'm not an expert on this but, I do try and eat back most of my calories (not usually all). Usually to within about 100-200 or so. It depends though if I'm super full or not & whether I've eaten my BMR amount. I started to eat back my calories mainly when my weightloss plateaued, before that i used to have deficits of around 500+ so I'm prob not the best advice giver LoL....
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I have been on here since January, and the only time it ever says that is if you have not eaten enough for the minimum calories that yours is set at, before having exercise calories. This website is set up that it already includes your minimum activity. You have to be careful not to do at least your minimum every day because your body will start storing the fat and you will go into starvation mode. It isn't a bad thing sometimes, but wouldn't suggest doing that every day.
  • wabrody
    wabrody Posts: 202
    Options
    You will find that is a big arguement on this site on wheather to eat your calories back or not. Just like the other people have mentioned. I went another route and had my motabalism measured and had an accurate reading done to tell me what i need to eat. So that is what i aim for everyday. So if I burn 800 calories on the treadmill i do not eat them back. Now keep in mind that I am eating around 1700-2000 calories a day. So far I am averaging about 1-1.5 lbs a week.

So the choice is yours on which way you want to go.