How do you just have ONE??

Options
rhndsu
rhndsu Posts: 3 Member
I'm looking for tips for how some of you handle just eating one of something or going to Dairy Queen and get a mini instead of a small, etc. What are your methods for reining yourself in and not over indulging once you get a taste of whatever little goodie it is you can't completely say no to??

Replies

• isabel88g
    isabel88g Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The way I see it is , is it really worth the 600-700 calories... Every Saturday is my cheat day, so I know that if I eat healthy all week and drink my water intake every day that on Saturday I can cheat... Thats how I do it!
  • Claible
    Claible Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I look at the nutrition info before I go. If I want to choose the dairy queen small or large I remind myself that I will have to work out that much harder. I am lazy and don't want to work out any longer than I have to. This reminder usually works.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i have that stuff so rarely now that when i do ill have a regular size. and if i am going to have a dessert its going to be a high quality dessert instead of something from a place like Dairy Queen.

just my 2 cents.
  • sezsaaays
    sezsaaays Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For me it's a need vs want thing. Do I really NEED that full size sundae from Macca's? No, I don't. But I can compromise and at least allow a cone instead. That way I'm still getting a treat and not depriving myself. :)
  • RachelleMarie88
    Options
    Your body doesn't need more than a mini or a small.. its your mind telling you you have to have it or else you'll just die! I was surprised how easy it became once I started ordering smalls, or just taking one candy instead of 15... it satisfies the craving without the guilt of binge eating.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Truly? Go without for some time. Next time you all go to Dairy Queen, watch them eat, but don't have one. Do that a few times. Next time, you will eat one small one, and think "This is nicer than the last few times I was here and had none."
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Before I eat it, I log it, and then I take a look at my end-of-day totals. If I like what I see, I'll have the treat. If it makes my totals awful, I'm more likely to feel good about NOT indulging. :)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I usually can't. My preferred method is avoidance. I do have things like potato chips and ice cream sundaes occasionally. But if I'm truly serious about my goals I don't keep them around and I avoid going into ice cream shops.

If I have a treat, I try to have good-quality empty calories, even if that's an oxymoron. I would have ice cream from Ben and Jerry's or Grom (an amazing gelato place that is ridiculously expensive, which is good because I can justify only rare indulgences). I don't have Dairy Queen or Doritos. (I live in NYC so undoubtedly I have more choices than many people. The place is bursting with great food. *Sigh.*))

Weighing myself several times a week helps to give me a rough idea of what my weight is doing.
  • LollipopViolet
    LollipopViolet Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My biggest thing is ice cream - I love it!

I've found a frozen yoghurt place in my local shopping centre. If I want something like ice cream, I go there. I do have a topping, usually rainbow sprinkles, but it gives me that feeling of eating ice cream.

Most other things, I can be quite restrained with. I just have problems choosing healthy options when out, rather than portion control. I'm working on it, though :)
  • Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    When going out - just do it. Either order the smallest portion if that's all you can fit in, or make sure you fit the rest of the day around the bigger portion.

At home - I find it easier at the moment to have biscuits/crisps etc in small portion bags. I have choc chip cookies etc all in convenient 25g bags or whichever one portion of the chosen biscuit is. I buy them like that. A bit more expensive than buying the regular biscuit packets, but most of the time, the bottom of the packet is where the eating stops. This way I can eat a whole packet and yet only had one portion :D

Otherwise, just say NO. It's actually really strange how good it feels to have said 'NO' to a cookie to go with the coffee. It's liberating, to say the least.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I can't usually limit like that. I just try to limit the opportunities and use my splurges on high quality things. My goal is to eat healthy 80-90% of the time, and enjoy the treats I do eat to the fullest. This means that I try to stay away from processed diet desserts and those high carb, fat free things people claim "taste just like brownies". Those don't satisfy me, and trigger binges. Instead, I bake healthy things with no added sugar and a good mix of protein, complex carbs and fat for every day. At a party or an occasional ice cream outing, I eat a normal sized portion and enjoy it to the fullest.

I also try to make sure my indulgences are in public or with friends, because they can trigger binges, and I do not binge in public.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    i have that stuff so rarely now that when i do ill have a regular size. and if i am going to have a dessert its going to be a high quality dessert instead of something from a place like Dairy Queen.

just my 2 cents.

Yep. I've just not had that stuff for a while and it's not that I don't think it's tasty-I just don't really "want" it anymore. If I'm going to go out and splurge on something truly sinful-it's definitely going to have more bang for the buck than DQ. I don't usually do well with the "just one" or just a small or mini or whatever (sometimes-buy not often), so I practice general avoidance. I don't prohibit foods at all-but making all kinds of "room" in my calorie allowance for junk that I really don't want got old quickly. I like eating a large volume of food-using 1/2 my calories for any one item was seriously cutting into the overall volume of food I can consume. So I splurge much less frequently-and eat SO much more.
  • BeanyFrog13
    BeanyFrog13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I remember why I'm doing this, I ask myself if it's worth the taste of it. A large won't taste any different to a small, you don't *need* all that in you if you're just craving the taste. I've read here many times that "Nothing tastes as good, as skinny feels", which is true I suppose. I don't deny myself anything, and of course, sometimes I go over my calories, but at the end of the day, it's down to me whether I stick to this or not. I don't want to be back to where I was this time last year. Or even this time last month lol!
  • bratleen
    bratleen Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Have the best of whatever it is you are craving, eat it slowly and savor every bite or sip....focus on what it is you enjoy about that particular thing...you might find that you are satisfied with one or a smaller serving or you might find that you really don't love that thing anyway
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for tips for how some of you handle just eating one of something or going to Dairy Queen and get a mini instead of a small, etc. What are your methods for reining yourself in and not over indulging once you get a taste of whatever little goodie it is you can't completely say no to??

I cannot have just the one, hence I cut it all out - I am the habitual "just one more" :laugh:
  • skinnygurl02
    skinnygurl02 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I usually can't have just one so I avoid the trigger foods for me:)
  • AmandaCaswell1982
    AmandaCaswell1982 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm an abstainer--- if it's something I know I'll want more of, it's easier for me just to not have it at all!
  • irishcanadianwoman
    Options
    I look at the nutrition info before I go. If I want to choose the dairy queen small or large I remind myself that I will have to work out that much harder. I am lazy and don't want to work out any longer than I have to. This reminder usually works.

Great idea! Also - eat slowly and look around inside the DQ at the people. Do you want to look like (some) of them???
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with snacking. So at work I don't bring any cash so I can't get anything for the vending machine. If I want a treat I walk the long way to the bakery and get something yummy from there. I don't deny my self anything (because I know I will obsess about it and then binge) but I try to make everything myself so I know exactly what is in what I'm eating. Pizza, cookies, pies, cakes. If I go to the bakery it is at a natural food store I know it's not healthy but I know they use good ingredients (I used to work there) and everything is made right in the store. Sometimes this does not always work out but I try.

Does anyone know a good recipe for granola bars?
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I have learned to retrain my thinking and choices. For example, if I know a Blizzard is going to set me back a few days... why eat it? Is it really worth it to me? And I ask myself that.
    I prefer to use those calories (and possible temporary weight gain) on something I REALLY want, and higher quality.
    Like a special treat at an upscale dessert place (because then the portion is small anyway for the price!)