Going on Vacation...Help!

Options
Hi everyone. It has been about 2 months since I have gotten serious and sick and tired of the weight and all that comes with it. I have lost 15lbs so far. Yeah!!!! I need some help! I log faithfully. I am going on a vacation. Not just a vacation ...but a CRUISE! I don't want to come back with a huge gain and then get derailed. I think I am too focused right now to quit though. The last time I went on a cruise I came back so heavy. My phone is what I use to log. I will incur internationl rates if I use it. Just having it on my person all the time, keeps me accountable. Should I use the computers on board and run back and forth when I eat? Should I indulge but not go crazy and work on it when I get back? Help! Any suggestions? Any support? The cruise is in 2 weeks and for a week. Thanks for you help.

Replies

• andyp79
    andyp79 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have just got back from my holiday. I didn't want to spend all my time planning what I was going to eat, stopping myself from having little treats, thinking all the time about food. So, for me, I decided not to log but not to go silly. I was away for 5 days, ate more than I intended to start with, but by the end of the week was thinking 'I know I'm not tracking and I was giving myself this week off diet, but I don't actually want that ....(chocolate, cookie, packet of crisps...)' I did gain, but only .75lb. Whatever you do, DON'T wreck all the hard work you have done so far by slipping back into bad habits. You've got to decide what will work for you. Not logging but being aware of what I was putting in my mouth was what worked for me. You could always have a piece of paper with you and just write down everything you eat (and drink) to make you aware of it. Enjoy your holiday!
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. Enjoy yourself! You've been working at this long enough to have an idea of portion size and the like. Don't most cruises have fitness rooms and classes as well? Also, is the CT for Connecticut? Just curious as that's where we are headed on vacation in July.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    You could always have a piece of paper with you and just write down everything you eat (and drink) to make you aware of it. Enjoy your holiday!

^^^THIS

Don't undo all that you've done so far. If you've been at this for two months, you probably have a pretty good idea of portion sizes, general calorie counts, etc. Make healthy choices and write everything down. Maybe give yourself one treat meal at the end of your trip. I'm sure there will be lots of fun workout options available on the cruise ship - take advantage of those.
    Enjoy yourself, but remember all the hard work you've done to get this far. If you have a before and a current photo, bring those with you to remind yourself.
  • tsolomon75
    tsolomon75 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I agree. Write down everything you eat.
    You could always have a piece of paper with you and just write down everything you eat (and drink) to make you aware of it. Enjoy your holiday!

^^^THIS

Don't undo all that you've done so far. If you've been at this for two months, you probably have a pretty good idea of portion sizes, general calorie counts, etc. Make healthy choices and write everything down. Maybe give yourself one treat meal at the end of your trip. I'm sure there will be lots of fun workout options available on the cruise ship - take advantage of those.
    Enjoy yourself, but remember all the hard work you've done to get this far. If you have a before and a current photo, bring those with you to remind yourself.
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry. A vacation is a time to relax.
    Enjoy the cruise. Enjoy the food. The only reason I would modetate my intake is so you don't become sick from over indulgence.

Now if you really want to have an idea of what you ate take pictures of your plates.
    A quick snapshot which can be reviewed later is easier than trying to write everything down.
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    We will be going on a cruise vacation in August . I plan on enjoying myself and just practice moderation in eating & drinking . In living this lifestyle since Nov 2011, I have a general idea of what needs to be done. All the cruise line guests have access to their gym & they have a walking/jogging track. Just exploring the vessel is a great way to get some calorie burn in. There are so many activities to engage in. Enjoy yourself & have fun.
  • BexleyGirl
    BexleyGirl Posts: 102
    Options
    I will be cruising in August and my plan is to go to the gym each morning and enjoy my well needed V-Cay!
  • FayeCT
    FayeCT Posts: 19
    Options
    Thank you guys! Appreciate all the input. I do live in CT. I will enjoy in non-food ways. Indulginvg is ok as long as not overboard. That suggestion re utilizing the gym is a great idea!
  • irishcanadianwoman
    Options
    Have fun! I've been on a few cruises and this is my experience and what worked for me...
    (1) Use the work-out room and there is most likely a track around the top deck so use it too. Start exercising on day one, even if it is only 2 mins on a machine and 2 mins on the track!!! Really, this is very important because you must let yourself know that you belong there, that exercise space is like part of your room, so go every day first thing or at least at the same time each day. You will meet nice people there. People who like you don't want to gain. Introduce yourself and plan to meet them there every morning. Introduce yourself to staff. They are usually nice, young, healthy kids. Be kind to them because they are overworked and underpaid. Ask them for advice about maintaining your weight loss...they know what is going on. Exercise, and then, because you've already done some exercise, you won't want to 'undo' that calorie burn goodness.
    (2) Portion control is very important - probably the most important. Most people on a cruise ship eat like they have never seen food before! The food will look beautiful!!! Use a mid sized plate. Try everything, take small portions but remember you don't have to finish what you take. Don't get caught up in, "It is included in the price I paid already so I will eat everything I can get..."
    (3) Notice how beautiful the veggies are - all carved up like plants and animals...fun food for grown ups. Eat them.
    (4) Spend your calories on interesting, quality foods that you might not get at home...sea foods, fruit and veggies, alternate proteins...etc. Try new things. You can get old familiar foods at home! Stay away from pizza stations etc.
    (5) If you drink, have quality drinks. Alternate drinks with water. Water is usually served in a wine glass with a slice of fruit etc. It looks beautiful. Drink lots of water.
    (6) Don't aim to lose weight. Aim to maintain.
    (7) There is so much to do on a ship besides eat. Keep busy with those activities. Try new things.
    (8) Have fun.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Many cruises have a spa-like environment. Focus on the exercise and spa activities. Focus on your feeling of physical well-being, not on food. See if there's a spa menu. Many years ago I went to a spa, and although I wasn't overweight I lost weight because it was easy. I ate their 1400 calorie a day menu, I exercised, attended lectures, had some spa services (which I didn't find relaxing; I'm a bit of a Puritan), walked, read.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't obsessively calorie count on a vacation, personally. I think your brain needs a break from everything! But it is a good opportunity to eat the stuff you really love, not just a bunch of stuff.

I generally lose weight on a vacation, because I am a wanderer and I listen to my hunger cues telling me when to eat, instead of relying on a clock or bordom like I do at work. I've never been on a cruise, though, and I understand the food there is pretty intense.
  • FayeCT
    FayeCT Posts: 19
    Options
    Wow!!! You all are so helpful. The suggestions are specific and def able to be put in practice. Thanks for the encouragement everyone!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. It has been about 2 months since I have gotten serious and sick and tired of the weight and all that comes with it. I have lost 15lbs so far. Yeah!!!! I need some help! I log faithfully. I am going on a vacation. Not just a vacation ...but a CRUISE! I don't want to come back with a huge gain and then get derailed. I think I am too focused right now to quit though. The last time I went on a cruise I came back so heavy. My phone is what I use to log. I will incur internationl rates if I use it. Just having it on my person all the time, keeps me accountable. Should I use the computers on board and run back and forth when I eat? Should I indulge but not go crazy and work on it when I get back? Help! Any suggestions? Any support? The cruise is in 2 weeks and for a week. Thanks for you help.

Don't they have superb gyms on board those cruise ships, plus they have swimming pools and some have running lanes around the outside of the ship. Use those things to get daily exercise in, then you can relax and not be fretting about calories and weightloss/.

Seriously have a wonderful time!!
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    We cruise alot and generally don't gain weight. First cruise food is mas market so it really really isn't that great (really!!), it is the vacation drink mentally that gets me.
    First--do you have alot of ports? We walk off a ton of calories in port--decide to be active off ship, on ship use the gym (most have classes too, the early ones are often free) or if there is a wrap around promenade or top deck jogging track use that.
    Food wise try breakfast and lunch in the diningroom--that will help with portion sizes, or just get salads or sushi at the buffet.
    Ship food is loaded with sodium--that's why somepeople all of a sudden get swollen feet (its not the salt air!!) Drink tons and tons of water!!
    A one week cruise isn't that bad --you won't undo all your hard work, enjoy yourself and I'm so jealous!!! I'm in serious cruise withdrawal.
    PS IF you don't know about cruisecritic check it out, you can join a rollcall and meet people on your cruise, find things to do in port--its a great cruise site.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the food in moderation and keep very active.
  • jladyj
    jladyj Posts: 23
    Options
    Always take the stairs that works for me.