New and Scared

Options
Hi,

I am Sara. My husband is named John and we have two kids: our son, Gabe 3, and my sister Allie 16, whom we are raising.

Just joined today. For the past four years I have struggled with weight gain.

Up until 2007 I weighed about 125 lbs. As a result of a weight inducing medication, a complicated pregnancy, and depression I now weigh over 240 lbs. I have PCOS. I am on Metformin. It really hasn't helped much in the weight loss dept.

Here is the thing. I am terrified of exercising. I am afraid of doing it wrong. Of being laughed at. I am horribly uncoordinated. I buy dvds and when I've gotten the courage to try them, I can't keep up with the steps.

Yet, I know eating chips and playing on the computer, sitting in the yard with my three year old, and watching tv every night isn't going to get me healthy. I know I have to get rid of those negative thoughts of failure.

So, that is my story.

Replies

• jjsjrs
    jjsjrs Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Nothing to be scared of. We are in this together. You can add me if you like. :smile:
  • FeliciaBhelle
    Options
    i was taking metformin at one point for the same thing. My doc told me to cut out everything white (bread, chips, noodles, potatoes, pop corn, and even corn, etc) i lost about 60lb in 3 months, i was also told to not drink sodas or eat sweets. Although if you stop taking the meds like i did or stop the diet you gain it all back. I haven't been on metformin for 8 years and im currently at 280. I just started working out at the gym and counting calories, i'm also new to myfitnesspal. Im new and scared as well, but i have to do something.
  • lindasknight
    lindasknight Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you Sara:) I am fairly new on here too. I was so tired of being tired all the time and really needed something different to help me approach weightloss. The hardest thing it seems to do is to change my thinking lol. So far I have really enjoyed mfp and I think you will as well. welcome and you are going to do great:)
    Sincerely,
    Linda
  • Jude1064
    Jude1064 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome!! I have always been heavy and very uncoordinated. Exercise scared me to death. So I started walking. At first I could only go about 1/2 mile. Now I go between 2 and 4 miles usually at least 5 days a week. I LOVE IT!! It is MY TIME. I take 30 to 60 minutes a day just for me. I feel so much better. I have lost 28 pounds so far. I still have about 90-100 to go. MFP has been a God-send for me. It has made me aware of how many calories I am actually consuming. I have wonderful friends on here and we encourage each other. You can do this!!! Add me if you like,
  • yarndt52
    yarndt52 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi,

I am Sara. My husband is named John and we have two kids: our son, Gabe 3, and my sister Allie 16, whom we are raising.

Just joined today. For the past four years I have struggled with weight gain.

Up until 2007 I weighed about 125 lbs. As a result of a weight inducing medication, a complicated pregnancy, and depression I now weigh over 240 lbs. I have PCOS. I am on Metformin. It really hasn't helped much in the weight loss dept.

Here is the thing. I am terrified of exercising. I am afraid of doing it wrong. Of being laughed at. I am horribly uncoordinated. I buy dvds and when I've gotten the courage to try them, I can't keep up with the steps.

Yet, I know eating chips and playing on the computer, sitting in the yard with my three year old, and watching tv every night isn't going to get me healthy. I know I have to get rid of those negative thoughts of failure.

So, that is my story.

Hey Sara here is the great thing about DVDS and at home workouts.. You dont have to be afraid of doing them wrong, not keeping up getting laughed at , being uncoordinated NO one else sees you but yourself! Failure is all a mind set... Once you wash away the I CAN"T do its you will surprise yourself.. You will have to start out slow no doubt there.. But the thing to remeber is its about doing what you CAN do.. Not worrying about how much everyone else is doing.. When I first started my journey I was 285 lbs.. I'm nearing the 100 lbs lost mark right now! If I can do it any one else can to.. I'd love to help you out any way I can!!!
  • natashasasha
    Options
    Hi I am just like you. I join yesterday. And today I fail . I over eat. But I know I will try again until I can make it. Everyday is a struggle. I wish if I have the will power . I pray God give some th e will to do it. I wish you all the best. You will do it.
  • jettyib1
    jettyib1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    We are all afraid of something. I couldn't walk on the treadmill at doctors office 15 yrs ago . So! I was sure I could never walk on a treadmill. Guess What !!!! I tried it and I CAN do it. The problem was, the doctor was trying to make me get on when it was running already. I Couldn't do it. I found out from a standstill I can get on and then I can GO. I am now doing 3.5 miles at a 1.5 incline. I am on my way. Yes, I was afraid , but now I love it.
  • candctaber
    candctaber Posts: 274
    Options
    Welcome!! There is nothing to be scared about, the people on MFP are the greatest! I started at about the same weight and like you I was scared of messing up while doing the DVDs and there was NO way I was going to workout in front of someone! I go to my room and lock the door so no one can walk in on me. I have gotten to where I can keep up with the steps on the DVDs but at first couldn't.

You are welcome to add me as a friend if you would like. I am on here everyday. Good luck!!
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    welcome to MFP :)
    nothing to be scared of hun and if you have trouble with dvd .. try out leslie sansone walk away the pounds .. I know she has a desk side workout (2 mins) on youtube ..you might even be able to find more ( I bought a bunch at thrift stores and garage sales, but you can buy them online as well)

she has 4 basic moves 1. walking in place, 2. side steps 3. knee raises 4. kick backs .. though she does add onto those, those are the basics and are great way to get started

here is 1 of her workouts its 14 mins long, but its a great way for you to check out her workouts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVjwkaLGDk
  • Pankiepooh
    Options
    Hello everyone I am Adrianne. I am a new to this site but I love it. I have logged in for 25 days now and it consumes my time. I am divorced, work full time and have one teenaged son (so please pray for me). I decided to embark on this journey of getting back to me a while ago but I would start and stop, start and stop because of discouragement, life, et... I have taken care of everyone else and now it's time for me to take care of myself. I am enjoying this transition. I hope you all had a blessed day.
  • Melonhead
    Melonhead Posts: 168
    Options
    Don't be scared, we're all here to help and encourage. You don't have to do P90X to get fit (it does work - but that's not my point). Walking is great, and I bet you've been walking al of your life. So there, now you have at least one form of exercise. i bet you can come up with another. Add me if you'd like to:happy:
  • Misty_Rage
    Misty_Rage Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just started here too, and have had some scary health issues in my family that make me want to lose the weight. I have over 100+ lbs to lose. I decided to start out with swimming. Its a great workout, the water serves as resistance and I dont look dumb doing it. I do tend to go in the mornings when few if any people are there.

Best of luck! Friend me if you want =D
  • PNOIZE
    PNOIZE Posts: 44
    Options
    you can do this! add me if u like.
  • mommajolynn
    mommajolynn Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Girlie you should have seen me tonight. I did a tae Bo video and I swear I do most of the moves wrong. But I attempted to do them which is what matters in the end. Did you learn how to walk or swing or swim right away? Nope it took practice and that's what you need to do with the videos. I will be happy to be your friend and support you on this wonderful weight loss journey. You won't loose if you don't try and this site makes it super easy to do so even if you don't exercise. You CAN do it and we will all be right behind you cheering you on!!
  • jryan83
    jryan83 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I always think of the old quote, "There is nothing to fear, but 'fear' itself".

Don't be afraid of doing things, be afraid of what will happen if you do nothing.

I have PCOS too and even though I don't have insulin resistance I'm constantly battling my hormones. There are groups here for people with PCOS and for people looking to loose certain amounts of weight. Everyone in those groups and on these boards have been where you are at some point. We're not here to judge, we're here to help and be helped.

I've been logging my food and staying in my goals for 50 days. No breaks, no cheating (I don't trust myself enough for that). Just working hard and staying focused. I was just thinking earlier today how really liberating it is to know that based on what I'm eating I cannot be gaining weight. So, when I weigh in and it's a lb or two over I don't start having a meltdown. I just stay committed and in a few days I'll see those "phantom" pounds and more just disappear. The peace of mind I have is just amazing to me. Hope you will feel the same way.

Again, welcome to MFP.
  • clcarter
    clcarter Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi Sara, I understand your fears, I think in a differenty ways, we all have them. I feel that is why we are all here. Push through that fear, we will all be there with you, pushing through our fears.

Good luck!

Cindy
  • TheMadRedhead1979
    Options
    Hi there,

I only joined 3 weeks ago so I'm still a newbie myself.... The help and support I've had so far has been amazing so dont be scared, we are all here to support each other in this venture...
    Please feel free to add me at any time :)

Susan aka the mad redhead :D
  • juliel1213
    Options
    hi sara i joined a gym in september last year because my doctor told me to lose weight i have to admit i hated her at that moment the thought of doing any exercise filled me with dread how on earth was i going to do it beceause i was so tired all the time i was 245lbs and felt that everyone was going to stare at me but i was wrong i go to a really nice gym there are all ages and sizes there so far i have lost 47lbs and i feel great i have so much energy and i really have become addicted to it i hate it if i miss a session i go 3 times a week so nothing excessive and i dont nap in the afternoon any more, i was like an old woman dont get me wrong im no angle i have slip ups all the time but now i dont beat myself up over it, i know that i will always have to watch what i eat so i try to be sensible about it and eat what the rest of my family are having i dont want be cooking different meals for everyone i just have less now and go for low fat alternatives when possible you cannot go the rest of your life without ever having a treat again its just now i have a small treat instead of a 200g bar of chocolate ha ha just be kind to your self try to keep busy when your hungry it may just be bordem and i know that everyone says it but honestly the more water or squash you drink the less hungry you will be it realy does help good luck
  • kubyshechka
    kubyshechka Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi Ssara. Did you try 'The biggest looser" DVDs. I have two of those and they are greate for the begginers because they are made for different levels. The level one is a slower pace and easy to follow and they are about $8 a DVD on Amazon. There are also real people in them and they also struggle. I have since moved to other DVDs but at first I was like you - could never catch up with the aerobics so just completely gave them up. You can also walk. Put your favorite playlist or an audio book on and walk - that is a great way to loose weight. And don't stress about going over the calories sometimes or the scale not moving - it will happen and that is OK. I know I am in it for a long run so I just take my time and not rush things. It took me years to put on the weight, I understand that it will not come down in an few month.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    The key to keeping up with exercise is to find something you love to do.

Do you like to garden? It's also good for making your home look extra beautiful.

Take walks, perhaps not just in your neighborhood, but in a nearby park with some wooded trails where you can view the beautiful scenery and wildlife - also good for the soul!

Go to a local museum. Viewing the artifacts also means you'll be walking for several hours!

Search for local activities like Arts Festivals, Nature walks, Historical Reenactments - and go!!!

Try new things: Rent a Kayak on a local lake, or bicycles in a park.

And you can involve your kids in all of this too!

Instead of thinking of it as the dreaded 'exercise' think of it as expanding your horizons and having FUN! This will not only insure that you will lose weight, but it will brighten your mood, stimulate your mind, and make you a more exciting, interesting, better person. It's not just about the weight, it's about life, and living it!!!!

Do not settle for an ordinary boring life. Go live, and the rest will fall into place! You are worth it, so enjoy your life.